New 1:1 "Race Support Vehicle"

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mondo

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
This is my new 1:1 plaything. reserved for weekends!
It's a Military Land Rover (Wolf) XD90 and one of less than half a dozen in private ownership. These are current issue in the UK armed forces and the Ministry of Defence only ordered 1411 of the 90 inch variants, so these are quite scarce.

Although it looks like a D90 in Olive drab, it is very different to the civilian releases. 24V sparks, over 1000Kg more load/towing capacity, built in rollcage, 4 pins diffs all round, 2 inch lift, heavy duty suspension, 110cm wading capability and a chassis 16x more rigid than the civilian release.
It's a 300 TDi engine, which is a 4 cylinder 115BHP 2.5 Turbodiesel, it has no engine electronics (EMP proof) other than a fuel pump solenoid.
Mine is the soft top version as the photo shows, the spare wheel is mounted to left of the rollcage (on RHD versions - there are LHD versions the spare is mounted on the right)
It took me almost 6 months of negotiations to get this puppy and I took delivery of it in early April. I have all the Army release paperwork and a certificate of manufacture from Land Rover too!

One thing I can say, being 24V, having 2 x mofo 12V deep cycle batteries and a tethered rear tailgate, it makes a great race support vehilce!

nice put a 3.5V8 in it (got one in my dads 110 it does wheel spins pretty easily) there won't be many EMP's near where you live

i know the army uses 24v
i think it because they run radio equipment or something from it and need the higher voltage

24v

olds97_lss said:
What does the 24V do for you?

"supercharged" is right, all military Land Rover XDs came out with 24V wiring and FFR (Fitted For Radio) ready - this is demonstrated by the square fittings that can be seen on top of the front fenders. These are antenna mounts and if you look just above the rear wheel arch, you'll see four bolts in the rear fender. This is for side mounted whip antennae - you'll also see the flap in the softop for the coax cable to pass thru level with the rear antenna mount.

What does it do for me? Well, most importantly, two fiddlesticks off big deep cycle gel batteries to run chargers and starter boxes from! These live under the passanger seat and can be accessed in 10 seconds!

wow thats pretty freaking sweet there man. take care of it.

Support Vehcile day out

Now I got all the paperwork and road tax sorted, I took the new toy for a good long trek thru the country roads. As it's summer, I rolled the canvas up, which isn't a big job, but you have to remove that spare wheel mounted on the left of the rollcage. The canvas harness type thing on the spare is an awesome one-man spare wheel lowering/raising harness that makes the process a breeze. The spare weighs almost 80 LBS! The joys of MIL Spec!

Oh, I have to say that the rollcage mounted spare wheel is great for scaring the bejeezus out of cyclists (unintentionally of course) and for trimming roadside hedges and shrubbery.
What you cannot see is my Tamiya Scale TLT-10 crawler in the rear of the Land Rover :¬) Of course no day trip is complete without some sort of RC bash!

Back