Need tire advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrgoodwrench35

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
I'm running a 1/5 outcast exb with an XLX2 esc and 1100kv motor, 39/39 gearing on 8s. I can't keep tires on it. Is it just geared too high? Top speed is around 65-70 on blacktop but I rarely run it that way. 55-60 in the grass which is where I usually run. I do more lower speed bashing and jumping than anything.

So far I've blown up 2 sets of factory arrma backflips and a set of duratrax sixpacks. I make sure they are glued good before each run. I just got a set of proline mashers and so far so good but I'm only 2 runs in.

Anybody else have this problem? What am I doing wrong? Tires are getting expensive.......

At that voltage, and that gearing, your tires are going to take a beating. Are you running belted tires?

The factory arrma backflips were not and balooned pretty bad but the others I mentioned are belted. I thought the belted duratrax sixpacks would hold up well but 4 or 5 runs at the skate park and poof!

Try wrappping fishing line on the outside of the tire between the lugs. You may need to wrap it around the tire a few times then knot it. I glue the knot to help hold also. A heavy girl like such maybe do a line at the 1/4 or 1/3 mark, and another at 2/3 or 3/4?

You can also wrap it once, tie, wrap agsin and tie to keep it tight.

I am curious... have you checked the temps after running in grass? Losing that many mph in grass would seem it's putting some added strain on the motor.

I know a lot of people like tons of top end speed, but I prefer to keep my RC's at or below the 50mph range. I usually gear them a bit low to get those wheelies at the blip of the throttle.

Can you get a vid of the truck running?

Try wrappping fishing line on the outside of the tire between the lugs. You may need to wrap it around the tire a few times then knot it. I glue the knot to help hold also. A heavy girl like such maybe do a line at the 1/4 or 1/3 mark, and another at 2/3 or 3/4?

You can also wrap it once, tie, wrap agsin and tie to keep it tight.
Any specific type or strength of line? I've seen this mentioned previously. I'm surprised the line doesn't just cut through the rubber. Worth a shot though
I am curious... have you checked the temps after running in grass? Losing that many mph in grass would seem it's putting some added strain on the motor.

I know a lot of people like tons of top end speed, but I prefer to keep my RC's at or below the 50mph range. I usually gear them a bit low to get those wheelies at the blip of the throttle.

Can you get a vid of the truck running?
The motor temp gets up to about 150 at most. Esc has never exceeded 120. Most of the time when I run in the grass its to run my dog for exercise. He usually holds a 30mph pace for 15 min or so and thats where I see the highest motor temps. Otherwise I'm on concrete, gravel, or pavement jumping. Usually at the skate park and the motor temps are a little lower.

I don't necessarily need this much top end speed, i just had a hard time finding pinion gears. The 39t gear I'm running as a pinion is actually a spur gear. Its hard to find 8mm bore pinion gears, especially D bore. The next smaller one I have is a 35t but its bulkier and in turn heavier than the 39t I'm running now. Even with the gearing I have, I can wheelie well past the half throttle mark. Its not easy to keep the front end down as is and the outcast is a pretty heavy rig. The castle 1100kv is a beast!

I have a lot of video but its all 4k and I'm having trouble editing and reducing quality. I plan to run the dog today so I can take a video with my phone and post it later. Anything in particular you want to see?

Last edited:
Oh, you pretty much explained it. Sounds like the gearing is ok. You're just going to go through a lot of tires 😉

Does anyone make solid rubber tires?

I'm considering removing the factory foams and filling the chamber inside with the stuff we use to foam fill tractor tires on the farm. That small of an amount of it shouldn't be very heavy and should bond the rubber to the wheel. Just a thought. Anyone ever heard of doing something like that?

I posted a short video running the dog here. There was a soccer game going on in the big field we usually run in so we had to settle for the samll one. Didn't have much room to open it up.
0814221357.jpg

And this is whats left of a pair of Duratrax Sixpacks

I've put 8 hard runs on the Proline Mashers and so far so good. I did do the fishing line re-inforcement and it seems to be doing good. Thanks for the tip there Chubaka.

I've put 8 hard runs on the Proline Mashers and so far so good. I did do the fishing line re-inforcement and it seems to be doing good. Thanks for the tip there Chubaka.
I would try the belted Duratrax Banditos for onroad/skatepark use. Running the offroad tires on pavement/blacktop is harder on them then running offroad where you actually need the extra traction. Just a thought. I'm running Duratrax Masher Xs on my K8 and theyve held up well but I'm not running super tall gearing like you are either.

I would try the belted Duratrax Banditos for onroad/skatepark use. Running the offroad tires on pavement/blacktop is harder on them then running offroad where you actually need the extra traction. Just a thought. I'm running Duratrax Masher Xs on my K8 and theyve held up well but I'm not running super tall gearing like you are either.
Forgot to mention I did drop to a 37t pinion to hopefully help the situation. Never thought of trying on road tires. Thanks for the suggestion.

What power system and gearing are you running on your K8?

What power system and gearing are you running on your K8?
Stock 160A ESC and 1250kv motor. 23/47 gearing. I have plans to upgrade it to an XLX2 and a rediculously huge TPPower motor but I've not gotten around to it yet. Once I do that Ill end up playing with the gearing more. 23/47 pretty much maxes out the stock electronics in terms of temps.

I sure like the XLX2. Great power and I've never seen it get much over 100 degrees even with the tall gearing I was running. Why not a castle motor? I'm not familiar with TPpower.

1250 and 1650kv are pretty close. That looks similar in size to my 1100kv. Seems the TPpower motors are similar in price to Castle. Is there much of a quality difference?

I'm no expert by any means, but that might be a little much for that 2wd stampede 😂

1250 and 1650kv are pretty close. That looks similar in size to my 1100kv. Seems the TPpower motors are similar in price to Castle. Is there much of a quality difference?

I'm no expert by any means, but that might be a little much for that 2wd stampede 😂
I didnt realize that the Castle 1100kV was that big but after looking up the specs they are very close in weight and size. I dont have much experience with TPPower motors but they seem to have a good following online and they make some pretty extreme motors in a variety of shapes, sizes and kV ratings. They even have some custom options you can order. Its an interesting company. I also bought an 8S 2080kV motor. I'm not sure what I'm gonna put that in yet but whatever it is oughta be sick :)

I may have to check out one of those motors for my Xmaxx. I recently bent the shaft on my HobbyWing 1100kv and haven't gotten a replacement yet. I considered putting the factory 8S Traxxas motor back in and seeing how long the XLX2 takes to kill it 😂.

Thats what I love about this forum. You guys are always helping me find new products to burn money on.

I may have to check out one of those motors for my Xmaxx. I recently bent the shaft on my HobbyWing 1100kv and haven't gotten a replacement yet. I considered putting the factory 8S Traxxas motor back in and seeing how long the XLX2 takes to kill it 😂.

Thats what I love about this forum. You guys are always helping me find new products to burn money on.
There is no shortage of that on this forum lol