need some help with new nitro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyfats420

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i just got my new nitro RC ( first timer here) and I'm pretty sure that my idle adjuster if way off but when i adjust it it doesn't seem to do anything. when i get the car started the wheels spin like crazy and sounds like a weedwacker. also lots of smoke coming off the engine and gas coming out of the exaust. i try to adjust the idle adjuster but it seems to be getting worse the more i touch it. i dont want to damage it cuz its still brand new. can someone please help ! =]

Thanks

Well for starters, it will be a lot easier for people to help if you put what kind of car you have, what engine, etc...

Now the first thing I would reccomend is for you to read the book or look at the company's website and find out what the factory settings for the engine are. Then you can put each adjustment screw where it should be for break in and start from there.

You also need to adjust the low-speed needle.

sorry about that, newbie at all this stuff. i checked the whole book that came with the car, and countless hours searching the web for the factory idle setting for my lightning VX on road nitro gas car. it says that the endine is 15/16/18 cxp. if anyone could help me figure out how to get everything started so i can break in the car would be a great help to me. thanks alot for the people who answered this so quick. patience is not my forte lol

it also says Redcat Racing ont he box too. Redcat racing lightning VX 1/10 fourwheel drive radio control on road nitro gas car. item # 94102 i got this for 150$ also wondering if i got a good deal. thanks

this is the site for the car i bought http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdetail.asp?basepartno=LIGHTNING

Last edited:
There is a document I found online with the manual from redcat racing. On page 5, you will see a picture of the engine with the adjustment needles pointed out. They are called "Needle Valve", "Low End Mixture Screw", and "Idle Adjustment." The needle valve should be set at 2 1/2 turns out for break in. To set the idle screw, take off the air filter where it attaches the the carb. It's the plastic elbow looking thing. Look in the car and you will see a rod going across with an opening on one side. When you adjust the idle screw, that opening opens and closes. You need to adjust the idle screw so the opening is 1 mm wide. Once you set those two screws, or needles, then try to start it with the parked against a wall or something. If it's running to fast adjust the low speed needle until it gets better. Once it gets close, let the engine warm up and fine tune the idle so it's idling as slow as it can while still being smooth and not trying to die.

Here's the document. It is the property of redcat racing. They also have the other pages on their website, but page 5 of this one will have most of what you need.

http://www.redcatracing.com/documents/bug-1-12.pdf

when you say a turn, does that mean a 180 degree or a 360 turn.. i had it started like 10 min ago for about a half a tank or fuel. i had to lean it up agenst something so it didnt get away from me. and still there is alot of fuel coming out of the exaust. which way to i have to turn the low speed and idle speed to get it from racing away and not spitting fuel out the exaust

1 turn = 360 turn = 1 full revolution

During break-in, a lot of engines run weird. Some run just fine, but most of the ones I've had don't run/start easily until you run a few tanks/heat cycles through them. Then they calm down a bit. You want the fuel coming out of the exhaust. A richer setting is proffered to help lube the engine during break-in and flush out the metal particles as the parts wear together. Normally the first tank is pretty rich, then you lean a little for each tank afterward with your goal being getting the engine temp around 210F.

which and what do i turn to make the car not take off while in nutral?

whats LSN sorry I'm not fimmlilar with the lingo yet

man I've tried everything, and it still wants to run away from me. i guess ill just have to take it back to the store =[

Take off the air cleaner. Do NOT start the car, but turn on the Tx and Rx (Transmitter...Radio, and receiver). Look into the carb neck and move your throttle trigger on the Radio. Watch the movement. Apparently the opening at idle is to big. Turn the throttle trim on the Tx counter clockwise to zero. Now adjust the idle screw to open the carb to about the width of a credit card.
Start it, and let us know what it does.

ok i did what you said to do, then i adjusted my idle screw all the way out till it fell out and then all the way in and it had no movement on the throttle opening whatsoever. its about the size of 1/4 of the way opened.

With the screw all the way out, the radio on and at 0 trim, the opening inside the carb should be completely closed. If it isn't, adjust the mechanical linkage so that it is. Then, screw the idle screw back into the carb until the opening is about 1mm.

If you need more help, it may be easier to tell you what to do if we can get a picture showing us the throttle linkage/servo/carb from you of what you have.

yeah that makes more sense to me cuz i tried everything to adjust it and i got nothing to make that opening move at all. i will def have the pic posted by tomorrow afternoon i hope that with everyones help i will get this problem resolved.

t

Last edited:
Is this a slide or rotary carb? If it's a rotary carb the setscrew on the arm might have loosened, which would cause your problem.

how do i know if it is a slide or a rotary?

On slide carbs, the thing with the boot around it pulls straight out. On rotary carbs, there's an arm that turns a drum inside the carb. It'll turn about 90 degrees.

its a rotary carb then, ill have some pics tomorrow