Need more clutch help please!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savage x

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey guys. I just installed my new clutch, all new bearings, washers, and clutch shoes. But I'm still having the issue that my tires spin with the motor it seems like. I can spin the wheels freely with the gears spinning when the motor is not turned on, but when I start the motor, the wheels spin with the motor. I thought that maybe it was idled too high, but when i idle it down it cuts out, and the tires don't slow down spinning at all. So its seems its not the idleing, so i have no idea. PLEASE HELP

Try richening your lower needle just a hair. Not much, a 16th of a turn ought to help out.

Is this your first truck? Did you put the springs/shoes on properly? Did you use new springs?

It should idle down slow enough to not move the tires.

Take a look at the photo's on the lower section of this site:
http://www.twf8.ws/new/tech/clutch/clutches-index.html
Similar to what the savage clutch is. Just to make sure you have it together right.

yup thats the way they are...lots of strain of them, I'm sure their on right. I installed them exactly how the manuel says to

and yes brand new springs

One quick check: Make sure your throttle trim isn't cranked up on your transmitter. At least you can rule it out if it isn't a problem...

nope actually throttle trim is the lowest it can go so thats not the problem. Would turning the low speed needle 1/16 of a turn really help? It says in the manuel that they dont recommend touching the low speed needle

The LSN is basically your idle speed. It can't hurt it to try to idle it down a bit. If you go too far it simply won't stay running without some throttle blips.
Give it a try--need to start ruling things out.

It could also be that your servo linkage needs to be adjusted.

Is your slipper tightened all the way? May need to back that off a 1/16 of a turn too.

Good luck and let us know how it is going. Its gonna be a process of elimination...

Only other thing I can think of is what happened to mine... twice. My clutch pins were loose and they pulled out as I ran the truck and rubbed on the inside of my clutch bell, basically stalling it out when it was at any kind of low idle. Royal Pain!! Make sure you can freely spin your clutch bell and the pins are not rubbing on the inside of it. If its not that then it is something in your clutch. It is mechanically impossible for it to be somewhere after your CB. If the wheels are moving your clutch is engaged and nothing else.
Good luck

guys i have no idea whats wrong..i backed off the spur a bit and no difference..i took out the one way bearing and cleaned it up, along with the shaft to see if that would help and nothing. I even called my local hobbie shop, and they said check the one way bearing, which i did, and if thats not the problem, it gotta be in the clutch. But everything is new in the clutch, and i had this problem even before i replaced everything in the clutch. Any more ideas?

Does your clutch bell spin freely with the engine out of the truck?

Have you checked the flywheel to make sure it's on tight? I know it sounds stupid... but I had one come loose on me once a long time ago. It would start, but wouldn't idle down without stalling.

gears are all tight, i really dont know what wrong rolex do u have any ideas?

If you can turn the spur with your finger, when the engine is off, and it spins the CB freely, it's not a clutch problem.
I'm guessing it's in the tune. That's not true that you shouldn't touch the LSN. It's part of the break in process to adjust it for the best takeoff and idle.
You need to richen the LSN. If the LSN is set too lean it will result in a high idle and an overheating engine.
As the idle comes down, keep balancing the LSN with the idle screw till you get a smooth idle without any engagement of the clutch and a good takeoff from a dead stop. Always keep a close eye on your temps, and don't make any adjustments till the engine is warmed up.

thanks rolex, but even when i get the truck going, and drive it around a bit (it dont stall when you throw the truck in the direction where its going) i give it a good bit of throttle and it doesn't hook in.....almost seems like something is slipping

When you say "It doesn't hook in", do you mean that the engine doesn't rev up quickly, or it revs up but the truck doesn't move out quickly?

With the engine running at idle, put your finger on the spur gear and start to throttle up slowly. If you can keep it from turning when the RPS are up, there's a problem in your CB. If you can't keep it from turning, make sure the slipper parts are all in good order and properly adjusted. If they are, start going down the rest of the drive train...output of trans, drive shafts, diffs, etc. Might even be stripped hubs in the wheels, but you'll need to follow the drive train.