Need help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alfie pearson

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I have a kyosho Dbx 2.0 and the engine head is smoking after about a minute I brought this second hand and had to replace the piston as it had no compression so I’m trying to break it in

It's second hand? Was it clean when you got it. Maybe the other person coated it with WD/40 or something to make it look good in pictures. Did you notice anything when u got it.You rebuilt the motor/piston. Perhaps you got some oil/fuel on the head. Or maybe got some crap on it while laying on work bench.And it might be burning off. Sometimes the glow plug backs out and let's out a little fuel that will build up on bottom and burn off and smoke. Did you let the motor run for longer then a minute.

It's second hand? Was it clean when you got it. Maybe the other person coated it with WD/40 or something to make it look good in pictures. Did you notice anything when u got it.You rebuilt the motor/piston. Perhaps you got some oil/fuel on the head. Or maybe got some crap on it while laying on work bench.And it might be burning off. Sometimes the glow plug backs out and let's out a little fuel that will build up on bottom and burn off and smoke. Did you let the motor run for longer then a minute.
I let it run for a couple of minutes but it got really hot so I shut it off, and I’ve tried to richen it up but I can’t anymore

The motor didn't have compression when you first got it. And you switch the piston. Did you check the head for any hairline crack or fractures. By the base near the plug threads. Or where it meets up with the motor.

What do you mean bud. "You can't richen it anymore". Why's that? Did you pull up the spec from the manufacturer. To see what factor settings are for that motor? So your starting in a good range for that motor and not to lean. Did you pull fuel threw it after you rebuilt it to get lubrication in the cylinder before you started it?

I’ll have a quick check now to see if there is any

What do you mean bud. "You can't richen it anymore". Why's that? Did you pull up the spec from the manufacturer. To see what factor settings are for that motor? So your starting in a good range for that motor and not to lean. Did you pull fuel threw it after you rebuilt it to get lubrication in the cylinder before you started it?
I set it to the factory settings and it got to hot so I’ve been richening it up and it’s making no difference

A lot of time when it runs lean, is a clog up carburetor, air leak is another. Before I run any engine that I got without history, I always clean the carburetor first, replace or check all fuel lines.

A lot of time when it runs lean, is a clog up carburetor, air leak is another. Before I run any engine that I got without history, I always clean the carburetor first, replace or check all fuel lines.
Thank you I have just cleaned the carburettor out and it has seemed to fix it, it’s still running a bit hot so it will just need a quick turn