Need help with printed body’s.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addict Rc

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys. I dont see any post about printed body’s tips and tricks. Just wondering if anyone had any because I’m starting to print body’s. Like how should I sand it, with what should I sand it. And how should it be painted? Here’s where I’m at.

So far I printed the cab & front fenders/hood. Glued em together. I want to sand and paint it but don’t know where to start. Any help is appreciated.

Pictures in order from oldest to latest.

IMG_6655.jpeg

IMG_6657.jpeg

IMG_6658.jpeg

IMG_6659.jpeg

I don't know if sanding would be the right approach, or using a filler primer that smooths imperfections.

Filler-primer exists for metal, not sure how it would work on whatever plastic your printer is using.

I don't know if sanding would be the right approach, or using a filler primer that smooths imperfections.

Filler-primer exists for metal, not sure how it would work on whatever plastic your printer is using.
I have used this successfully for smoothing both filament and resin models.

I was talking with a guy on FB the other night, that said he uses baby powder & cheap resin, mixed together. He applies it fairly thin, and evenly as possible & puts in the sun or under UV light to cure. He said it sands really easy, and the baby powder works as a great filler to get rid of layer lines. I'm gonna try it, soon as I learn to use my printer. Haha

I was talking with a guy on FB the other night, that said he uses baby powder & cheap resin, mixed together. He applies it fairly thin, and evenly as possible & puts in the sun or under UV light to cure. He said it sands really easy, and the baby powder works as a great filler to get rid of layer lines. I'm gonna try it, soon as I learn to use my printer. Haha
I use resin on my prints. No baby powder. Works great.

Hey guys. I dont see any post about printed body’s tips and tricks. Just wondering if anyone had any because I’m starting to print body’s. Like how should I sand it, with what should I sand it. And how should it be painted? Here’s where I’m at.

So far I printed the cab & front fenders/hood. Glued em together. I want to sand and paint it but don’t know where to start. Any help is appreciated.

Pictures in order from oldest to latest.

View attachment 177891

View attachment 177892

View attachment 177893

View attachment 177894
Lot of very good options here, my experience working with industrial scale 3d printed parts has also proven automotive bondo to be a very good option for relatively easy end use finishes.

I would look into doing a e-steps/ flowrate calibration for your extruder and double checking the mount for your hotend as well as belt tension, and PID calibration.
I'm seeing some symptoms of possible ringing and a lot of inconsistencies on the outer walls. A well tuned machine will always lessen the amount of work you need to do on the tail end.

Back