Need help to purchase my first Nitro!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shervin

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
howdy! I used to play around with all electric RC cars (Tamiya) in my teenage years but I moved on to other hobbies. Now I want to have fun with an offroad RC car and I have had my eyes fixed on two specific models at my local hobby store. They have good prices, A traxxas Slayer 3.3 for 369 and a t-maxx 3.3 for 399.
I've been reading online, viewing videos, and so on about both models but I just can not decide on which one to purchase. I will not be modding much... well most likely upgrade the suspension and a few other things like water proof servos.
Now I want stability offroad in dirt, light sand, grass, and pavement. The Slayer so far seems so stable and grippy while the t-maxx seems less stable/less grip. Grip/Stability is important to me and I just wanted to know what you guys recommend. At the hobby store the sales person told me that the t-maxx is easier to work on and more open (the chassis) but thats not really an issue for me.
Thanks!

for what you say get the slayer and put a sway bay kit. because if its anything like the slash you will roll over so easy. plus the slayer is built of the revo chassis and shocks setup

from what I've read the Slayer is a revo with shorter arms/less suspension travel.
God this is so difficult! I love the scale look of the slayer but it seems the T-maxx might be the way to go

Ever consider a Savage x 4.6? Its way more durable than any of the cars you are talking about. Its very cheap to buy also! And you can't beat big block power either ;)

neither

I would look at revo as well. I don't want to sound like hard line revo guy, but for just running around and bashing, it's incredibly durable, handles well and easy to work on. If you have the money, consider electric as well. Look at the locations you have to enjoy running. If noise and exhaust are something that may annoy others in the area and cause you grief electric may be your better option. If you are going to be in a large open but relatively flat area consider 2wd as well. Most of all...get what makes you happy. The most suited to you rc out there might not be the one that just puts a smile on your face.

And then get the revo

Thank you for the suggestions. I have looked at the savage and I'm reading up on it. I agree about the revo and that is why I originally considered the Slayer 3.3 since it is pretty much a revo at its heart. Especially at 369.99 it seemed like a good deal. I live in the suburbs of DC and there are some great parks/farmland to go exploring on. I've actually started driving around looking at the terrain I would be dealing with and its pretty much grass and mud. So I think street use might be most common. The noise is not an issue since there are many places to go.
Now its slayer and Revo. I'm going to go to the park few miles from my home. I think Its a bit too much for slayer but good enough for a revo.
Thanks for the input everyone.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have looked at the savage and I'm reading up on it. I agree about the revo and that is why I originally considered the Slayer 3.3 since it is pretty much a revo at its heart. Especially at 369.99 it seemed like a good deal. I live in the suburbs of DC and there are some great parks/farmland to go exploring on. I've actually started driving around looking at the terrain I would be dealing with and its pretty much grass and mud. So I think street use might be most common. The noise is not an issue since there are many places to go.
Now its slayer and Revo. I'm going to go to the park few miles from my home. I think Its a bit too much for slayer but good enough for a revo.
Thanks for the input everyone.

I started out exactly the same. I wanted to either get the Slayer or the T-Maxx. I ended up getting the Savage thanks to many good reviews and lots of positive words. For your first nitro, I'd definitely go with a monster truck style. The slayer, much like my Tamiya F-150, isn't always the easiest to handle. It also likes to traction roll if you're on pavement, and even on other surfaced. Though I also liked the realistic styling... so maybe further down the road. I also keep thinking about getting a Jato for when I just want ridiculous speed and wheelies! ... :hehe:

Do you have a fixed budget? If not, you should consider taking a look at the Baja 5b or 5t. All it takes is one drive to get hooked. It costs more initially but definitely saves you money in the long run, plus when you go out all you need is the car and the remote, and possibly some gasoline if you plan on staying out for a while (a tank lasts 45 minutes). If you're mechanically inclined and like to build things, you could go for the SS version and build it yourself.

If not, the Savage or Revo would both be awesome choices. I've never really heard reviews of the Slayer but it's based on an award winning chassis.

Don't just go for what you have your mind set on at the moment. I'd strongly suggest that you go with either a Savage or Aftershock, or if you have a few more pennies to spare, the LST XXL.

I'm a Huge Losi fan. I really recommend that you go and look at a Aftershock. It's basically a LST1 with some minor differences. It's a huge truck and is really well designed and will out steer any other MT out there. It comes with a JR computerized Radio and duel JR Z590M metal gear servos for steering. It's one of the biggest MT's out there as well and has awesome shocks and is build by the best. And then if you go with the XXL, it has a Spectrum 2.4GHz 3 channel radio, forward and reverse (WAY better then traxxas' cheesy crap) has better tires, a lot better engine, and it a ever bigger truck.

shervin where are you I'm in bowie. straight line were 8 miles from DC

Do you have a fixed budget? If not, you should consider taking a look at the Baja 5b or 5t. All it takes is one drive to get hooked. It costs more initially but definitely saves you money in the long run, plus when you go out all you need is the car and the remote, and possibly some gasoline if you plan on staying out for a while (a tank lasts 45 minutes). If you're mechanically inclined and like to build things, you could go for the SS version and build it yourself.

If not, the Savage or Revo would both be awesome choices. I've never really heard reviews of the Slayer but it's based on an award winning chassis.

Definately agree if you have the budget to get the larger scale. Not the fasted vehicle out of the box which means it's less self destructive, handles most terrain with relative ease because it has great torque for it's size and runs a long time. We have one here in Iraq and they are an absolute blast, handle well, run forever. Only drawback, if you like to find huge air, you best plan to keep up that huge budget. In the long run and careful driving, you actually might save money on using regular gas and oil mix vs nitro.

shervin where are you I'm in bowie. straight line were 8 miles from DC
I live on the Gaithersburg/Rockville Line near kentlands. I work in Arlington near Marymount uni so I drive all over the dc area.

I did a considerable amount of research and read a lot and I agree with you guys about the hpi savage, baja 5b, and so on. Honestly I'm not willing to spend more than 400 dollars because this will be my first nitro and I'm just trying to get in. I want a car that wont break my heart if I destroy it early.
If this traxxas keeps me interested in the hobby then I will definitely make a jump to a larger/better truck about a year/year and a half down the road.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone but I decided to buy the slayer 3.3 as my first nitro truck. It's based off of the revo and from what I read (???) I can use revo parts to convert it to one. Anyway this is just to get me into the world of off road nitro trucks so if it is a blast then I'll be back later to ask on my next choice!
Picking up the slayer from hobbyworks (www.hobbyworks.com) tomorrow in Rockville for 369! Not a bad price.
I'm not one for jumps, I just love short circuit racing or off road climbing and beaches/sand!
If the slayer is good..... then maybe associated SC8 might be my next truck! God that thing is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

*cough cough* Aftershock *cough cough* Amain *cough Cough* $320.00 *cough*

THanks for the suggestions but I have already purchased the truck since last week. Was not able to break it in because I became sick with Strep Throat... a really really bad one too. Plus I'm waiting for warmer weather (like 50+F).

Nice! Welcome to the addictive hobby :). Fill us in about how you like the car once you are able to fire it up!

:)

Strept throat? Great part about the R in RC. You just need a good pit crew and a big window.