Need help picking out my first Nitro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skaboy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am looking forward to getting into nitro rc's, but I am a little stuck on what to get for a first car. My pice range is around 200$ I live on my college campus with plenty of parking lots but also near LOTS of off road terrain. (North Alabama) I was looking at 1/10 stadium trucks like the Traxxas nitro rustler, but I read that they have very poor on road handling. Also I would love to build one myself if I had the chance. Oh ya, I dont realy plan to do any serious racing with this one. I've seen seen people use the term "basher" Thats kind of what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

I would recommend going to ebay and looking for a used RC10GT. They're a great all-around truck. I had one as my first nitro, and still run it from time to time this very day.

I have a Nitro Sport which is very similar to the Rustler. I am very satisfied with it and has given me no problems. Traxxas not only has great products but an excelent customer service

I'm with Heartbreak on this one. The Rc10gt is a awesome little rig with TONS of parts available for it. It would be a good option for either the parking lot or some off roading. Otherwise Id say a Hpi Mt. Them are 4 wheel drive and sound pretty dependable.

I still would realy like to build one. I found a nice looking Revo chasis on line. I can get it for less than 100$ Would it be more cost effective to build one like this up or buy one new RTR?
chasis.jpg

You would need an engine, radio, servos, transmission and a battery. You're looking at about $500 easily. If you want a Revo, save and buy an RTR.

I think the sage advice of MR HeartBreak and 4u2nv is the ticket here ....it gets you into the sport........with a decent rig .....and you can alway s save up and buy Revo parts on line and build one....but Hamz9561 is right to build up that chassis will be another 5 bills. I have built a few and I can't get them done for less than that...no matter how hard I try..;)

Back