Need help on build choices

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can buy a berg "kit", and not the stock berg kit but one made to be comp ready, i think ckrc has some available, i dont like all the parts they use but their gonna be a good rig. never mind its expensive too lol.

h8z2luze has a losi for sale here, thats a pretty good start of a comp rig if you set it up good.

Last edited:
The Losi wouldn't be a bad alternative, but I was reading a review in another forum and the guy makes it sound like it is a pretty good rig, but that it is easy to burn up a motor. That if you get in a bind and give to much throttle it burns the motor up in seconds and that you need to get used to constantly using the dig and take it slow and easy on the throttle. But basically is it really that easy to burn up a motor? I'd hate to get it out there and right away burn something up like that. And I think this is the vehicle I read about that there is a lot of plastic and things tend to break a lot. Don't know if that is true or not, I do know there are axle or driveshaft problems but Lose was sending out replacements.

it depends on what motor you run, but you can perfectly easy set it up so it will be fine. PLUS Eritex is coming out with or already did the moa conversion for them wich will be the way to go for them in my opinion.

On the A Main Hobbies they suggest what parts to get to complete the Losi, and I was wondering. I don't mind spending that kinda money for a Motor, ESC, and Servo, but are those parts some of the parts of a crawler that tend to get damaged or burn out or break while crawling? Since I'm new I don't want to spend a fortune on good electronics just to ruin them in a week.

They suggest getting the
Losi Xcelorin Sensored 17.5T ESC/Motor Combo $224.99
JRPSZ9100T Digital Ultra-Torque MG Servo $139.99

And if the price is any indicator I assume they are pretty good electronics.

it depends on what motor you run, but you can perfectly easy set it up so it will be fine. PLUS Eritex is coming out with or already did the moa conversion for them wich will be the way to go for them in my opinion.

Its out but its 110 bucks...

your better off buying good electronics first or you will spend more in the long run replacing cheap stuff.
I'm not running a losi but i would look into different stuff than what amain suggests. you can get a Hobbico cs170 servo (333 oz) for around $90 from tcscrawlers.com or tower has them too.
You CAN run a brushed motor just fine, people are running the traxxas titan motors just fine since they are a bigger motor. and their cheap.
then just pickup a Castle Creations Sidewinder esc with a CC BEC and you should be good to go....

And $110 Brandon isnt too bad imo to turn it into a MOA wich will make it a great rig imo. finally. lol.

Ok here's my final decision, I am pretty sure that this is what I will do.

Newage 2.2 berg kit
Motors - Integy V11 45t
ESC - CC Sidewinder
BEC - CC BEC
Servo - Hitec HS-645mg
Tires Pro Line Moab

Not sure yet on a battery, having a hard time figuring out what size or type would fit. Also not sure yet on body. Would also be getting the CC link for the ESC and BEC. Also haven't decided on a radio, want to keep it on the cheaper side, looking into a couple different models. Might go for the Airtronics RDS8000 8-Channel 2.4Ghz Crawler Radio System, it's a stick type rather than pistol, but is only $199.99 at A Main Hobbies and it would allow me to upgrade later to either Dig or dual ESC.

So how's that look? And would I need the BEC right away?

Also what else would I need? Am I forgetting anything? Do I need wire, harnesses, body mounts, lube, nuts, bolts, screws, etc? If I do it may seem common sense to most of you, but I don't know if the components come with whatever I need to install them. Thanks

Yes you need the bec. for $200 i would get a different radio personally, just look for a used dx3r or dx3, but make sure its a 3r or 3 and nothing more or less. i doubt you would be happy with a stick radio.

I also recomend not getting those tires. stick with the three proven as the top of the game tires, Panther Cougars, Hot body rovers in white or blue, or Proline chisels.

the 645 will be ok but not great by any means, its very under powers especially for a heavy rig. for the same price you can get two towerpro 995 servos wich are alot more powerful too.
if you went to ebay and type it "2x 1500mAh" just like that but without the quotes you will find the batteries for you! they are perfect size, they will be 2 for like $30 shipped. they are PERFECT!

you might wanna get some different rims right off the bat too cuz the berg rims make it very wide wich isnt a great thing. for cheap you can go with some proline 8 shooters wich are still wide on there but not near as wide. All the ck guys just run the plastic glue on type i think hpi wheels wich are very cheap and they are a good offset too, just browse the berg section on ckrc and you should see the wheels I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, I will look up those tires, batteries, and servo.

My only dilemma with the radio is that eventually I know it is not allowed for comp but I can lock it out. I would like rear steering, and either dual esc or dig. From what I understand if you have duals you don't need dig. So I need a radio that down the road can handle all of that. I was also looking at the DX6i. So on a pistol type is the dig just a 3 way switch? Front - off - rear and I believe the only way to get rear steering isn't full control just another 3 way switch left - neutral - right, is that correct?

Actually nevermind about the radio. I have been looking over several models and I would like to stick with a pistol at least for now. But I also realize I won't be having rear steering set up yet, and it's not allowed in comp, so when I am out crawling I should do so as if I were in comp that's the best practice. I'll just get one that can do dig and down the road I can upgrade to a more advanced one. I plan to give this crawler to my son in a couple 2 or 3 years when he is old enough and build myself a new one then.

Thanks again.

thats why I'm suggesting a dx3r or 3, perfect radio for running your dig.

Ok just wanted to let everyone know my final complete build list. I was able to spend more since I just traded my Bronco for an older Saab for my wife, she's very happy with it, so now we don't have to put $2000 down plus a trade later in the fall for her to get a car. She has been wanting to get something different from the van. So I will be able to spend more than anticipated.

Havoc ARTR kit including:
Bully2 axles
4x 2.2 X-Locks
4x Plastic beadlocks
HaVoc Plates
2in Skid
4x Upper Links 114mm
2x 70mm Shocks
2x 68mm Torsion Links
4x Bent Lower Links
1x Rc4wd Steering Kit

Castle BEC
Tekin FXR 55t combo x2
Hitec 5990tg Servo
Futaba 4pk
Hyperion 3s 2600mAH 35/65c x2 (Should fit inside the belly of the chassis)
Hyperion EOS 0606I AC/DC Charger
JConcepts Stage Killah Body (will use for most of time out until I learn to control it well)
Pro-Line '83 Ramcharger Body (for after I control my crawler well then I won't destroy my body)

Last edited:
Your serious! Thats quite a build list you got there. Oh it doesn't matter how good you can control it if your comping you will destroy bodies lol. Also if you plan on comping I don't recommend the ramcharger. You will want a smaller lower sitting lid so it doesn't get caught up and is easier to flip back over.

Yeah that's why I'm going with 2 bodies, might skip out on the ramcharger for now thought, but it is pretty sweet looking.

thats a pretty good list and a great start.

Back