need crash course on battery building 101

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyfats420

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
ok i have a problem,

i have a stock 6 cell pack from an RC18T.

i need to take it apart and make it a 3X3 Saddle pack that has a wire connect 3 to the other 3 so it clears the main drive shaft. I'm doing this cuz i got myself the Tek18X conversion from Exotek and they reccomend using a lipo pack but I'm only running a brushed motor for the time being till i get some more cash. if anyone is willing to give me a crash course in battery cell building and how to make a saddle pack out of a stock RC18T battery pack would be GREAT.

what do i search? making saddle battery packs?

Making battery packs

Videos are better than text in this case

ok i got the general idea on how to make the packs. but to make the saddle pack. i would need just connect the + on one side and _ on the other side with a wire right?

attempt at an illustration =]

Cells[ ][ ][ ]Pos.----Wire-------Neg.[ ][ ][ ]Cells

thats what i need to make 3 cells connected to 3 cells from the stock battery pack with the wire to clear the center drive shaft

can anyone confirm that this is the way to do it with the wire that connects to 2 sides of the battery pack

i just dont want it to blow up in my face

Last edited:
Picture is worth a thousand words.

You are correct. Connect the positive from one pack to the negative of the other as shown.

large__12_01_2008_14_50_MaxAmps_4700mah_7.2v_6cell_Saddle_Pack_Product.jpg

you will wire all of the batteries in series. you will have a positive side on one with no wire and a negative side of another with no wire. thats where your plug solders to.

my picture is better

saddlepack.gif

obviously you can rotate the batteries however you want to. start with one and solder from the negative of it to the positive of another one. after you solder your last negatibe to positive. you will have an empty positive and an empty negative. solder plug

Picture is worth a thousand words.

You are correct. Connect the positive from one pack to the negative of the other as shown.

large__12_01_2008_14_50_MaxAmps_4700mah_7.2v_6cell_Saddle_Pack_Product.jpg

yes they sure are RobMob. this is exactly what i was looking for. thanks alot for the help. I'm going to try this with 2/3A cells but if i can fit some sub-C cells in there ill get some of those. doubt it though. check out the LiPo saddle pack they have on there Exotek site. its a saddle pack also.

can you make Lipo saddle packs or do you have to get them premaid?

http://www.exotekracing.com/EXOTEK_NEWS/Entries/2008/5/25_TEK18XRC18_OFF_ROAD_CONVERSION.html

heres the site for the Conversion kit i got.

thanks again for the help Rob and FLM_Savage. you guys probably saved me from having batteries explode in my face lol

Appreciate all the help!
-MattyFats-:D

i just finished trying to make my stock pack into a saddle pack and i think i overheated one of the cells and when i plug it in the cell get extreamly hot.

is it ok to use the same cell but a lower mAh rating?

i think i messed up cuz i used a benzene soldering iron instead of an electric one. and it got the cell way to hot and made it go bad.

but i have the same 2/3A cell battery but its 1100mAh and 1400 one the cell that went bad. what do you guys think about that one? good idea or just wait to buy a pre made one?

I have the Exotek conversion for my 18T as well.

I bought a lipo saddle pack from Maxamps for it that I am also going to try and use on my crawler.

Here is the one I got.

http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-1720-74-Saddle.htm

Here is their nimh version.

http://www.maxamps.com/MA-1600-6Cell-Saddle.htm

did you get the tek18 conversion or the newer tek18x conversion? if that battery doesn't work on your crawler once i get a lipo charger and my brushless motor ill take it off your hands

Back