Mystery oil seepage and long connection times....(FIXED, LOSE COOLING HEAD)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninnon

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hello yet again, I recently gave my car a good driving round a car park after buying some new tires, and noticed something a bit strange that had never happened before after running. A mystery clear, fuel oil had "leaked" around the engine and centre diff, I did a deep clean (took it all apart etc...) and it was all like new again. Anyway the next day I took it round for another drive round a car park and came back yet again to find this mystery oil all over everything. I am very confused as to what is going on, It may just be normal but it wouldn't make sense. My diagnosis may be that it is the exhaust or the engine.

My second question/ thing is this oddly large waiting time for the receiver and remote to connect, it used to be about 3 seconds but since the man at the model shop set the built in fail safe this time has went up to about 15 seconds, at first it didn't bother me but now it is getting a bit annoying, I really am stumped on this one...

Thanks for reading my question,

Harvey.

A picture of the mystery oil could posibly work wonders at IDing it.

Also it would help to know what TX/RX you are using.

Yep, a pic would help us. It might just be some blow-by at the manifold. You can also add a silicone exhaust stinger to route it farther from the car. It's also possible that it's collecting just because you're running richer than normal due to the colder weather.

A picture of the mystery oil could posibly work wonders at IDing it.

Also it would help to know what TX/RX you are using.
Unfortunately due to my obsession with cleaning, It has all gone. I'm pretty sure it was the oil that you get from the exhaust (fuel oil) and after thinking about it a bit more it may be that the fuel tank has leaked due to a dodgy lid seal, leaked over everything, the alcohol has then evaporated and left the oil behind. BUT as Rolex said, I have noticed that the exhaust silicone connector is lose, so it could be either. Unfortunately I do not know what specific transmitter and receiver I am using, other than that is the stock HPI one.

Yep, a pic would help us. It might just be some blow-by at the manifold. You can also add a silicone exhaust stinger to route it farther from the car. It's also possible that it's collecting just because you're running richer than normal due to the colder weather.
On closer inspection the exhaust coupling does look lose and I am running it quite rich due to it being winter... Although I wouldn't of thought it was coming out of the exhaust as funnily basically no oil is on the exhaust but it may have all evaporated form the heat. However, supporting that point there tends to be quite a bit on the underside of the chassis, plus it was a windy day when I was using it on both occasions.

Thanks for all your help ,but I fixed the problem, the cooling head had came lose and oil was spraying out the gap!

Take a pic of your TX and post it, HPI has several TX/RX combo's

Back