My Wife Hates When I Go To Garage Sales

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I rarely go to any garage sales anymore but while driving my son started yelling at me that we just passed a sale with some cool stuff including a go-kart. My wife wasn't so happy when we returned home with the truck loaded with these two items :)

First was this 49cc crotch rocket style mini motorcycle. Seller assured me the engine is good but it needs work of course. For $20 I had to buy it :D

motorcycle1.JPG

Then there was the go-kart my son saw. Too bad it was just sold for $25 but however it was only a rolling chassis. The seller told me he had another one he was considering selling. So I had to at least look at it then ended up buying it for $100. It needed some work too,but as you can see in the pictures it was well worth the cost. It's a Murray with a 6hp Tecumseh on it originally sold by Wal-Mart.

The engine wasn't firing,found the coil switch wires bolted directly to the frame grounding it out. Also the air filter was missing. Fixed those and it runs great. The clutch(upgraded to a torque converter clutch) was stuck so the wheels were driven all the time. A bad spring(stretched so I cut and reshaped the end) and cleaning and that was fixed. The seat and roll bars were not bolted on so I bought some bolts and fixed that. Last thing needed was kill switch. Purchased and installed that too. Total investment now is $125 but we already got our money's worth running it around the yard this afternoon.

My wife got over it quick,even drove it herself today :) Only downside is my r/c funds are gone for a while again :shrug:

go-kart1.JPG

go-kart2.JPG

Those are some Steals. You can barely get a good Japanese or USA made 6hp engine for $125.00. Must be some good Karma. Sweet:D

Hey Randy.....I wonder....so if you got some big servos....you could make that sucker an RC. Now we are talking!! But seriously, the is a heck of a steal right there i would have went for it too. Good deal!

That's awesome bro! It is amazing what people get rid of that just need a little tlc to get running again. I love to run around looking at garage sales... but the wife gets nervous when I watch American Pickers!

The RC fund was spent for a good cause. A kid's smile is priceless, imo.

+1 On this, & very nice steals, I would consider bracing that top part of that kart cage it looks weaksauce. I have a 12hp go kart and I hit a double full speed and bent the hell out of my cage that was reinforced.

I agree but when I bought the go-kart I was thinking it was big enough for me to ride some too. However after driving it I've realized a couple of things, I'm too big for it and I drive too wild and would tear it up too quick. So I have decided to just let him have it :)

I would consider bracing that top part of that kart cage it looks weaksauce.

Agreed but it will be a while before he starts driving it that hard, I HOPE!

I agree but when I bought the go-kart I was thinking it was big enough for me to ride some too. However after driving it I've realized a couple of things, I'm too big for it and I drive too wild and would tear it up too quick. So I have decided to just let him have it :)

Does this mean you're riding the pocket bike to work then?????????? :p:

I hate going to yard sales but love when I find cool stuff like this. Wish I was as proficient with mechanical toys as you seem to be.

Btw, love the RC conversion idea.

So Randy I have to ask.......Does YOUR mini-bike do 200 miles and hour and can it pull enless wheelies in the dark and out run cops? (some of you will know what I am talking about ;-) )

Joey, he doesn't live in East Texas. lol

Gotta put a wheelie bar on that bad boy!

Back