My vinatage nitro rc engine is not running because of a fuel problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogman888

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Basically I have a old 2001 tamiya nitro subaru impreza wrx monte carlo 99 and I had restored it not to long ago. So basically it was running fine but I decided to look up the original manual and change the carb idle setting to it's original (1mm) and suddenly it started but then died after a few seconds I did some investigating and what I think is happening is that the fuel that was manually pumped in to the engine is used but there isnt enough pressure built up for the fuel to be pressed back in to the engine. The problem may be as when I as trouble shooting it for this I was running it on half tank not full maybe full tank will work? I will try this soon but if I dont manage I will open the muffler and inspect the pressure outlet, it may be dirty, but there again I have been running a new muffler for only 2 months and it ran fine. Anyway sorry for all my babble tbh I have no clue it would be soooo helpful if you could suggest anything

It could be the LSN is closed too much. I would take apart the carburetor to clean it out. If you open the throttle a little bit more, prime it with the primer to see if fuel can get to the engine.

It can't be the carb idle setting as I was actualy opening it more and more in the first place, I was trying to get the engine running stable without dying. Anyway basically I think I narrowed it down to the tank not being full and the pressure dissipating in to the tank instead of pushing fuel. Any who thanks for the suggestion

How long are the nitro lines?⛽️ Getting shorter more direct lines for the gas to pass through them quicker might help👍
I had a similar issue were it wouldn't idle smoothly, I changed the lines to shorter straight to the point and it's worked great since. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Basically I have a old 2001 tamiya nitro subaru impreza wrx monte carlo 99 and I had restored it not to long ago. So basically it was running fine but I decided to look up the original manual and change the carb idle setting to it's original (1mm) and suddenly it started but then died after a few seconds I did some investigating and what I think is happening is that the fuel that was manually pumped in to the engine is used but there isnt enough pressure built up for the fuel to be pressed back in to the engine. The problem may be as when I as trouble shooting it for this I was running it on half tank not full maybe full tank will work? I will try this soon but if I dont manage I will open the muffler and inspect the pressure outlet, it may be dirty, but there again I have been running a new muffler for only 2 months and it ran fine. Anyway sorry for all my babble tbh I have no clue it would be soooo helpful if you could suggest anything

If you only changed the idle gap, there is no reason for it not to run again, once you reverse it back to where it was?
Did you touch HSN and LSN at all?

Back