My Scaler Project... Jeep Tuber ...(Update 5-1-14)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How's it comin' Joe? I wanna see this thing stand up! :thumbup:

Ok, well since you asked, not much of an update, but an update none the less. Unfortunately I haven't had a lot of time to work on it lately. Plus I am still waiting on the release of the axial axles that have now been pushed back twice already and still are not available yet.

DSC00996.jpg

I am getting to where I have to get it powder coated before I can continue on with the interior. I have made a few pieces of the interior though just to keep this moving forward. I used some 2mm styrene to make the floor and then covered that with some diamond plate styrene, then painted it silver, it looks like real diamond plate and I was very happy with the results. I also make a rear plate for it where I will mount a high lift scale jack and some other scale accessories in the future. I have also started on the dash but until I get the floor mounted solid I can't really continue with the dash. Very soon I will also be starting on a center console, also custom made from styrene.

DSC00982.jpg

DSC00983.jpg

DSC00993.jpg

I did however pick up the tires I want to use on it. They are the new 2.2 Scale 4x4 Mudslingers from RC4WD. These are some sweet looking tires, they look very similar to the old TSL Super Swampers. If they perform half as good as they look they should be awesome!

DSC00998.jpg

I am trying to decide on a set of rims for it. Right now I just threw the tires on a set of Stampede rims just to get an idea of how they were going to look. I would love to get a set of RC4WD true scale bead locks but they are a bit pricey so I have been looking at the Junfac beadlocks, they look real nice for the money and I have heard very good things about them. But I want to wait untill I have the axles so I know what kind of offset I will want to go with.

So that's about it for now, hope to get some more work done to it real soon.

that's sweet. I LOVE those tires. I REALLY like tires that have tread that comes down the sidewall some. I think that makes it look tough.

Definately a great choice of tires. I also think the rims are a good choice for an off roader. You sure don't want to get fancy.
Full interior....wow. That's all I can say. WOW. A real beauty.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Lessen, you have to see these tires in person, they are simply awesome! I love the aggressive tread pattern on them, and they look like they should definately sling some mud, lol. IMO, they are the best looking 2.2 tire on the market today.

The Rubicon body is finished for my Savage, but I'd like to do my fender flares like yours are. I don't want to do them flat since there's always a little glow to the real ones.
What did you do to get the semi look? Was it in a spray can, or thinned and done with an air brush?

Joe that thing is going to be killer! I love the Mudslingers, great choice. Your making me jumpy...I can't wait to get my wheely King.

What did you do to get the semi look? Was it in a spray can, or thinned and done with an air brush?

I used Black Plastidip in a spray can. It looks awesome, remains flexable after it dries so it won't crack, and they really look like the real Jeep flares. Very easy to do too, just mask the body off, and spray the flares. Then I used some silver paint and a 00 paint brush to paint the rivets on, but I have some other ideas for those too when I get to more detailing of the body. I will do every Jeep body I do from here on out like this, you couldnt ask for a more real looking flare.

Joe that thing is going to be killer! I love the Mudslingers, great choice. Your making me jumpy...I can't wait to get my wheely King.

I was originally going to use a wheely king as a donor for both the axles and tranny. But the WK axles are wider than either the TLT or axial axles, and with the TLTs being discontinued I opted to go with the axial axles, especially after seeing a set in person, they are really nice axles. As for the tranny I decided on a RC4WD R2.

Looks freaking sweet - can't wait to see the finished product!

-Michael

Lookin really nice Joe.... I can hardly wait to see the finished product. Amazing work and attention to detail.

Tom

I was originally going to use a wheely king as a donor for both the axles and tranny. But the WK axles are wider than either the TLT or axial axles, and with the TLTs being discontinued I opted to go with the axial axles, especially after seeing a set in person, they are really nice axles. As for the tranny I decided on a RC4WD R2.

I have read great things about the axial axles! There is a rumor floating around that the TLT will be re released very soon.

Man you are very talented.....nice work .....keep the pics coming..

Looks incredible Joe. Great Job!!

That thing is so nice. It looks like you painted the body with line-x. I have seen a real jeep rock crawler painted with it, and its freakin asume, and never scratches. Nice work.

Bryson

Bryson, the body is actually just painted with Krylon Ultra Flat black, with the flares being sprayed with plastidip.

Rolex, I have a few other ideas for areas I plan on using more plastidip on this project, but your just gonna have to wait and see. :thumbup:

Make sure you post up some pics of your Jeep lid when you get it done.

Hmmm plasti dip, I think I have an idea for a baja body now. lol

Bryson

Back