My Savage Rotostart plate is junk...but it has a different engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairy W Bush

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have an old Savage, Savage 25 I THINK. But it has an OS MAX 30VG engine with a rotostart plate on it. Both the rotostart plate and one way bearing are DONE. the plate is cracked in more than 1 corner and bearing just spins. So, I have attached a picture of the part numbers from my manual.
1. 87117 is coming up as discontinued. Looks exactly like that's what is on there. I have found a NOS part on ebay, but it's pricy. HPI lists #120277 as the replacement. Problem is, of course, different bolt bolt arrangement as well as count. If it will work I would like to know. I just want to be able to know that if this happens again, I have another option next time.
2. #1430 is coming up as compatible. I believe that's right.

starterassembly.png

hsp is different. never heard of sullivan, but I took a look. it would be a S702 with a 6mm shaft but it is out of stock.

I havent used a lot of roto starts but the ones I have used were mostly Tiger Drives. I can't find the S702 anywhere in stock

it's a shame because that would solve my inventory concern. I wonder if I use my same handheld rotostart, just a different shaft.

A lot of them are out of stock on A-Main hobbies an were of LRP engines ,not sure if they will fit
an OS engine ,the Sulivan Tiger drive should but even they are out ,maybe try to contact OS an
see sense you also need a back plate!
I myself have been looking around for ya!..:cool:

thanks baker. I might call HRP first because not only do i not see anything about it on their website, they say this " For your questions and information about OS engines, we would request you to basically contact distributor in your country or your region listed on International Contacts Listing. Only when you cannot receive proper answer/information from the distributor, please contact [email protected] . We would solicit your understanding to make you wait long time, when questions rush to OS."
lol

thanks baker. I might call HRP first because not only do i not see anything about it on their website, they say this " For your questions and information about OS engines, we would request you to basically contact distributor in your country or your region listed on International Contacts Listing. Only when you cannot receive proper answer/information from the distributor, please contact [email protected] . We would solicit your understanding to make you wait long time, when questions rush to OS."
lol

Yea ,OS discontinued a lot of their stuff ,they are focused only on the racing side!

You may have to find a new budget engine sense you have to have a roto or a pull start ,
like Dynamite engine ,Trackstar or that Hobao Hyper 30 engine , I been eye ballin the
Hobao Hyper 30 engine myself for my Mgt truck!.. :cool:

yea I really hate that and don't want to go down that path at the moment. I hardly have any real fun time with my current engine. it's mostly been figuring out a tune and running it with other problems.

yea I really hate that and don't want to go down that path at the moment. I hardly have any real fun time with my current engine. it's mostly been figuring out a tune and running it with other problems.

Yea I know what you mean ,I have a HPI 5.9 that I dontwant to give up on ,it needs a new backplate ,
the bushing leaks real bad!

just got off the phone with HRP. the guy couldn't confirm what I had, and couldn't confirm the new plate would work. also doesn't even HAVE a #12077 in stock so we could see what's what. only thing is if I get it, I need the different bearing. big deal...I think I'm just going to get the 87117 I see on ebay. All I know is it looks identical.

Back