My New Lid Project!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPI-Killer

Axial Axle Twisting Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just got my 2005 HPI Subaru STi Lid when I got home from work last night so I decided to mask it off and do a 2-tone spray on it. (Took me 2 hours to mask it off) Let me know what you guys think!

P1040532.jpg

P1040533.jpg

Scheme 1 Complete Just have to use a little nitro to clean up the seaping paint on the windows n such
P1040535.jpg
P1040534.jpg

I'm working on it as we speak and will keep updated pictures until complete.

It looks like you spent a couple of hours masking 'er up.:) Nice work Killer. Keep us posted.

bitter sweet... it looks really good so far

but reminds me i need to get a new lid for my MGT.... stock is just so well..... stock....

Id like to think so too for being my first 2-tone design of any type on a lexan body
Scheme 2 Complete, now for window spray tint and decals & hopefully I'm satisfied. It has a couple rough straight lines but oh well.

P1040537.jpg

P1040538.jpg

P1040539.jpg

As soon as she is dry ill do my final dremel prep on the wheel-wells, sides etc & decals.

Lol & for the same design I wanted to paint on my real life wrx I can do for 99% less on an RC

I notice that the lines are a little rough, but don't take this as knit-pickin'. I think it's a great job for your first attempt and decals ought to finish 'er off nicely.

Another thing to help IMO,use liquid mask next time. It's hard to seal all the lines tight enough with tape to keep it from bleeding through.

Yeah I figured the blue tape wasn't good enough but all I could think of, 5-6ft up watchin it run around it won't even matter but yeah I want to start buying/painting & collecting bodies like some users here are doing so I can get real good at it.
Heres the final touch other than the wing,holes and such for the engine but will get a couple others tonight when shes more cured so I can see her on my RS4.

Thanks for all the input & looking!
P1040544.jpg

P1040540.jpg

P1040548.jpg

P1040549.jpg

P1040550.jpg

Never see a scooby drift before.... guess there is a first time for everything.....

Would a real life car headlight/tailight VHT tint spray ruin my lexan or destroy my paint or both? I want to tint the windows a little but don't dare risk it if I don't know before I do it

Last edited:
Would a real life car headlight/tailight VHT tint spray ruin my lexan or destroy my paint or both? I want to tint the windows a little but don't dare risk it if I don't know before I do it

Personally i wouldn't attempt it.... VHT uses some nasty stuff in the rattle cans... They do make Model/Lexan Spay Tint... use it

Personally i wouldn't attempt it.... VHT uses some nasty stuff in the rattle cans... They do make Model/Lexan Spay Tint... use it
+1 to you sir, yeah I figured the VHT had some nasty corrosives in it & glad I posted my concern or I'm sure id be one unhappy camper:hehe:

Good looking subie my friend! :D

Heath

I have noticed some people draw or paint the body seems along all lines as if it were the real thing, doors, hood, trunk etc, anyone know how this can be done nicely?

Your lid turned out real nice. I'm in the middle of trimming my first lid right now, hoping to shoot some paint over the weekend. Any first time pointers??

Your lid turned out real nice. I'm in the middle of trimming my first lid right now, hoping to shoot some paint over the weekend. Any first time pointers??

TAKE YOUR TIME...

and a Dremel will become your friend once you learn how to use it.....

Back