My LST-2 build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coach Z

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi, my name is dave and I have a problem with rc's.
I started this build up back in dec. but had to put it aside while I was out of the country and racing. Got home a couple weeks ago and I just unpacked all the goodies I ordered over the winter, I seem to have gotten a little more then I remembered!

My goal for the project is to initially build a super durable lst-2 for bashing, its going to be a bit heavy and have a little bit of shiny alloy on it but it should be great to beat on. Eventually I'd like to build an all carbon racer with the muggy suspension setup but thats later.
Here is the plan
Current Mill is an axial .28 spec 1, also have a .32 and two additional 427's to back it up
Losi hard anodized finned engine mount

Vantage Carbon pipe
Losi High speed tini pinions and spurs (also have a set of custom +3 pinions!)
Foward only tranny with gear flip mod
Triple bearing clutch mod
I have a sleeved clutchbell on the way and may go for a werks clutch, debating
LST-1 tank on alloy mounts to HOPEFULLY quit busting tanks
Chassis - dynamite engine brace, HD skid plate and gpm blue top plates
GPM alloy bell cranks
New era alloy steering knuckles
Avid bearings throughout
Bow ties for bashing, road rage for street play on 23mm rims
I got a set of 17mm truggy size bow ties for the racer
Radio is Spektrum dx3r with telemetry
Lipo RX battery with Castle creations BEC (heard a lot about glitching with the spektrum may change to a protek or muchmore BEC)
Two JR 650 servos for steering and a JR 590 for throttle / brake
Single disc brake from extreme for an 8ight
New era roll bar
RPM arms
Lunsford turnbuckles and hinge pins
Still debating on the body but I think the crowd pleazer will be a good start, going to need some one to paint it for me, anybody??

Pics........
IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

OOOOO Dave you have a sweet pile of parts....

More parts:

IMG_0700-1.jpg

IMG_0688-1.jpg

Putting together rpm a arms

IMG_0674-1.jpg

Blue servo mounts, GPM bell cranks, Bad Ass Creations steering link

IMG_0682-2.jpg

Tranny with high speed tini gears, single over size disc brake using an extrem 8ight brake, Dynamite blue brake arm

IMG_0746-1.jpg

And then it changed directions a bit and became what I am now calling the "Code Blue" truck. I found a complete dynamite blue chassis set that i ordered..........sometime:confused: So I took the whole damn thing apart and started over using that chassis

IMG_0750-1.jpg

I'm still waiting on the hard ano shock bodies and the blue shock caps but I do have the shock mount bushings, I modified them a bit, drilled and tapped them to 4mm and them bolted into with 4mm flathead and a VTX blue washer, very clean and kinda gucci I think

IMG_0747-1.jpg

Front and back ends assembled

IMG_0748-1.jpg

Dynamite engine brace and more vtx washers for the engine mount

IMG_0751-1.jpg

New era steering knuckles and losi 15 degree carriers

IMG_0749-1.jpg

As long as the truck has gone all blue I decided to try my hand at dying the fuel tank and radio box, front ones were in for five minutes, to get them to come out the way I wanted I had to leave them in for almost a half hour!!

IMG_0754-1.jpg

Mounting up the servos as well as front and back ends onto the chassis

IMG_0755-1.jpg

I've had a lot of trouble breaking radio boxes so I've started mounting them with wire grommets underneath to act as a bushing and I haven't broken another since.

IMG_0756-1.jpg

Radio box, fuel tank, and tranny in

IMG_0757.jpg

Axial .28 spec 1 and gear cover back plate installed

IMG_0758-1.jpg

New era Roll bar

IMG_0759-1.jpg

Vantage carbon fiber pipe

IMG_0760-1.jpg

Custom pipe mount using a mugen hanger and the mount from an 8ight

IMG_0761-1.jpg

almost done.........

IMG_0762-1.jpg

AND DONE!!!!!! (until I decide it needs upgrading:hehe:)

IMG_0764-1.jpg

IMG_0765-1.jpg

How'd I do?

Last edited:
Looks good coach!

What did you use to blue the tank/receiver box? I tried rit's to dye mine green and they came out blue... What water:dye ratio did you use?

d@mn coach, how much that pile o parts cost ya? lol
very,very nice

d@mn coach, how much that pile o parts cost ya? lol
very,very nice

Believe it or not it wasn't all that bad, mind you I haven't been keeping close track or anything! I had six months to wait for sales and find stuff on ebay so that helped a TON.

Looks good coach!

What did you use to blue the tank/receiver box? I tried rit's to dye mine green and they came out blue... What water:dye ratio did you use?

I used Rit dye and the color was denim blue

I didn't want to wreck a good pan so I used a plain one gallon metal paint can from home depot and put the whole pack of dye into that, first round cooked for five minutes with almost no result, second batch was almost half an hour. Here they are side by side:

IMG_0754-1.jpg

Last edited:
oh, this is gonna be fun to follow ... count me along for the ride !!

I used Rit dye and the color was denim blue

I didn't want to wreck a good pan so I used a plain one gallon metal paint can from home depot and put the whole pack of dye into that, first round cooked for five minutes with almost no result, second batch was almost half an hour. Here they are side by side:
Thanks for the info. I may give green a try again.

Did you heat the dye solution as well?

I like the look of the Losi LST2's.Racey but monstertruck all the way.Two of them have been kickin by but at the track on Sundays too.That looks like a class act build ready to take on pavement to racetrack,bring it on! . Great job mate on the build.Could you send me the other when its done with the muggy setup ect. ect......:D

wow nice..very:whhooo:

umm what happen you got cut or something i see red spots on the white rags..

and the grand total of that would be around?

Olds - I heated it to just below a boil and let them sit like that

wow nice..very:whhooo:

umm what happen you got cut or something i see red spots on the white rags..

and the grand total of that would be around?

Red stuff is Sullivan dry ice, its a lube that goes on and drys to a pretty slick finish but doesn't attract dirt like grease or oil. I put it on the cv's, gears, hinge pins. Pretty much anything metalthat will move.

As for cost its hard to say becasue a lot of what I bought are spares on top of what I needed for the build

Back