My LHS Gone for Good

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I found out this weekend that Joplin R/C Hobbies will not be rebuilding after being wiped out earlier this summer by our tornado. What a bummer,this was one of the GOOD shops.

On a side note,one of the owners had an accident with his plane a couple of weekends ago. He got in a hurry and didn't have someone help him restart it. He held the stick at part throttle for the restart after just a sputter at idle setting. The plane started instantly and lurched forward into his hand and tore it up pretty bad including chopping off part of his thumb. They could not reattach the segment.

Yet another reason i keep my rc's on ground.

I have whacked myself pretty good with a prop but have never lost part of a finger....ouch. Sucks about them not re-building. My lhs support is pretty weak. I know how the mail only goes.

That sucks Randy, I hate to see Mom n Pop businesses go under. I still drive a three hour round trip to support the LHS I've been buying at for over 12 years now.

On a related note, I have a friend who did something similar with a plane. He was giving a new twin engine deal the maiden voyage; stuck the igniter on one engine and fired it up, then the second. Once it was idling happily, he reached right across the prop to get the glow igniter. Got three of his fingers pretty good, but nothing lost though.

Man I feel your pain. It has been almost 3 years since my LHS decided to close down after 35 years. It was a neat place to hang out. Buying parts over the web is fine... but I miss going over to the shop and hanging out checking out the new shiny stuff....

Tom

yeah that def. sucks!!!! hay you should think about starting one!!!

Man, not opeing back up is like killing a unicorn man, its just not humane! That sucks, thank goodness there is plenty of online to buy from.

I hate to see Mom n Pop businesses go under.

Well,they didn't exactly go under. The guys used the shop to support their flying hobby while they each have other jobs/income. The shop pretty much supported itself but didn't make any real profits but insurance has covered the losses.

but I miss going over to the shop and hanging out checking out the new shiny stuff....

Yep,that's the biggest thing I'll miss. It's nice to see stuff in hand before purchasing.

hay you should think about starting one!!!

I wish but it'll take a lot of $$$ to get started. That's something I don't have for sure!

yeah that def. sucks!!!! hay you should think about starting one!!!

My wife actually aproached me about trying to buy the shop and its contents... but for what they wanted and the fact that the hobby industry as a whole is hurting from the economy... I decided against it. Someday though... that would be a dream job!

That sucks Randy. I never really like my LHS, although they are the reason I got into rc's, so I do owe them that. Their service sucked and my rc knowledge out weighed their by so much....BUT, they closed earlier this year and it was sad to see them go. With how much rc's are progressing, you would hope to see more shops opening, not closing. But the internet kills lots of stores anyways.

Back