EBMods .26 Takes 2nd place at Dirt Oval Nationals

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobH

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Before I start, I had some complaints about my last EBMods posts that I was spamming the site. For this reason, I have pre-cleared this with the RCNT staff prior to posting it.

On a previous thread about engine mods, some said that they wouldn't put their expensive engine in hands of someone that hasn't won any races (or something like that).

Last weekend, Don Greene and his EBMods .26 took 2nd place at the 3rd Annual Dirt Oval Nationals (2003) held in Bakersfield, CA.

Larry from Nova RC Products attended the event and had this to say:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

3rd Annual Dirt Oval Nationals 2003

I took a little road trip last weekend, to the Dirt Oval Nationals held at Racers Haven Raceway in Bakersfield CA.

The temperature was cold, but the racing action was as hot as it gets.
Over 120 entries, and all of them ready for a shot at a National title.
The T maxx Class, was a bit like a demo derby, but Don Greene managed to keep his MP Hybrid together long enough to take 2nd in the A main...His EBMod .26 was more than too much power for this small oval track.

Qualifiers started Saturday around 4:00 and many of the racers were a little groggy from the Friday night races that ended after 1:00 am.
The Outdoor Channel sent out the camera crew from Inside R/C, and they got some great racing action on film.

After a full afternoon of very fast qualifiers, the mains started just about dusk, and the temperature dropped fast. Many of the racers had sided canopies, and propane heaters to keep the chill off. No such luck for Greg, the owner of Racers Haven, and his crew, that announced, and ran the races from the drivers stand, for the second day in a row.

The track was in “blue groove” condition, and after talking to some of the locals, I found out that the track had just been rebuilt by volunteers the previous weekend. It was in the best shape it has ever been in.

There was a great crowd, many exchanging tips, and helping out. It was just a good down home atmosphere.

After several of the other classes had raced, the speed demons took the track “modified wedge class” By far the fastest class of the day turning laps in the 5 second range.
This was some of the fastest racing action I have ever seen.

I’ll be making the trek to the Dirt Oval Nationals again next year. I hope to see you all there. For more info check out www.racers-haven.com
ovaltrack.jpg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Racers Haven hasn't updated their race results pages. The following results are from 2002:

http://www.racers-haven.com/html/race_results.html

I post links to the new, official results when they become available.

I realize that I may sound like a repeating record to those active members that read every post. This will be my last time I bang this drum. For that reason, I'll explain in detail...

EBMods is a company (one man show really) that was started about a half hour north of me by a guy named Ed Bridges. The business is all about modifying engines for models -- nitro engines, gas engines, plane engines, helicopter engines, tether engines, etc. EBMods specializes in Nitro engines. Most of the engines Ed does are big block Nitro RC car engines. He does some small block Nitro RC car engines too. I've seen air plane engines in his shop.

I was skeptical at first. I thought "another guy with a dremel that read the how-to port the TRX 15 Pro engine." Come to find out, Ed has an insane amount of knowledge on the subject of modding engines. I think he said his dad was into it. He started with motor-cross. Ed then got into Nitro and as he put it: "the first this I did was take the engine apart". Since then, he's a part of the scenery at the LHS. He runs the races at the local track. He's been porting their nitro engines since the track's inception (years and years ago). He just rescently started to offer his services for hire.

Another thing that will clue you in that he knows what he's doing is what he does. A lot of people port the sleeves, polish the crankshaft and do port matching. Some guys will lighten the crankshaft. How many of those guys, however, balance the crankshaft? I believe that means he makes it so the shaft doesn't "wobble" as much. He quoted me percentages. "Most engines are only 30% balanced". He tries to balance them to 50%. The RB engines he can only do to 40%. I have clue what that means honestly. Also what's "blueprinting"? I have no clue... but Ed does.

Also, Ed doesn't just do one port job on all engines. He does to the engine what you need done. If you run off-road, you need different mods from the guy that runs the same engine on-road. If you drag race, it's whole new ball game. I was just reading on the SGrid where some guy would like to try and get more bottom end and a better power band out of his C5. Knowing how make the engine do what you want takes lots and lots of experience and knowledge. Ed does it.

The biggest testament to Ed's skill are the responses from the people that have the engines. How many of you can say that your current engine will make you broke buying new tires? How many of you can say that your Picco/Wasp .26 is easy to tune and hard to overheat... How about an engine that has "twice the pull" of a any of these engines: WS7II, OSRZ & Sirio 27

I don't know if it's true, but I'm not making it up. The above are paraphrases from what EBMods customers are saying.

Anyway, to those still reading, this will be my last mention of EBMods. I apologize if anyone took my enthusiasm about this local phenomenon as spam.

-RobH

Last edited:
Ed definitely seems like a knowledgeable individual. I was looking at the service link on the site. Why would he not recommend the "full mod" for a backyard basher? Performance is performance, right?

He recommends the "full mod". let me find a quote for ya... someone else just asked that...

Originally posted by EBMods

Yea, the Lite Mod I will be doing away with. I listed this option for people looking to get their engine checked and up to par like it should be from the factory. But most want what Nitrojunky says,,,,To be the fastest on the block!!! And For every 10 engines I do I may do 1 lite mod. What it consist of is, de-burring, port matching, light porting of the sleeve and setting the deck height and compression ratio. No timing adjustments, balancing or polishing of the crank. Your better off getting the full mod work if you run on a track and bash like you do. I'll be adding a Team Engine Mod which will include a Team EBMods Head and will come fully broke in. The cost for the team mods will be $125. So the full mod will be the cheapest

I you really want the lite mod, get it before he stops offering it. LOL

Rob, now you're making me think again. After reading this I woke me up from my brain death at the end of the business day. It's the 2nd time this you have brought up this name in the past month. I have the Sirio and an Ofna and it is very tempting to try his service on one of them. $75.00 is bargain basement dirt cheap for more power. If I could get ""twice the pull" of a any of these engines: WS7II, OSRZ & Sirio 27" I'd fall out of my chair and kiss his feet, you of course can watch. $140-180.00 for a Picco and it will kick the stuff out of my Sirio, tempting....

OK,.. who's going to be the first to test his services? You or I or?

Originally posted by Cesar
does he work on used engines????

From the EBMods website:
Any engine sent for modification must be new or be rebuilt at time of modification. Rebuild includes piston, sleeve, connecting rod, wrist pin, and clips.

Originally posted by StrechM
If I could get ""twice the pull" of a any of these engines: WS7II, OSRZ & Sirio 27" I'd fall out of my chair and kiss his feet, you of course can watch. $140-180.00 for a Picco and it will kick the stuff out of my Sirio, tempting....

Please understand that the "twice the pull" thing came from a forum user. I mean... we have a guy on RCNT that claims that he had serious damage done to his foot by his RC car... he also claims that his dad is a surgon... and a bunch of other "far fetched stuff".

I have no doubt that the EBMods Picco/Wasp .26 is awsome, but I wouldn't jump in and believe everything I read either. :)

Just so I haven't tweaked anything in the translation, this is the exact post he wrote:

Originally posted by nitrojunky

I ran a WS7II "stock" also a OSRZ ,and a Sirio 27.
The EB 26 has twice the pull as those motors.

I fully trust Ed. The only reason why I'm not running one of his engine is because I have yet to buy my new buggy engine. I also didn't know about EBMods when I first purchased my engines.

Anyway, I'll try to find out info on that used engine thing.

Rob, I truly do not believe that you can get twice the pull (power) from this type of mod. I'm certain that it is not physically possible. It is rather tempting to find out just how much more power that his work will produce.

Hey, I'm running an EBMOds .26, and I smoke the guys with high dollar motors at the local track...
It is by far the best money I have ever spent on R/Cs
I'm sending in a Fantom 21 to mod, for the up coming Nitro Challenge race...
I have to take the .26 out to compete within the race rules.
I have also run my Savage with a stock .26 against my friends Savage, that is set up the exact same way as mine, including a ton of hop ups, we did everything the same accept the engine, and his truck blows mine away (He is running the EBMods wasp .26, we both run the Nova Low Profile head, and even though His truck is much faster it runs cooler than my stock .26
I plan on getting another .26 and sending it to EB for the full mod as well.
I wish I had known about EBMods before.

Another example of the power from the EBmods.26 :
I was at a track in San Clemente CA, and A guy with a SuperMaxx proto type truck, running a JP modified (High dollar engine)
Was getting WHOMPED! by a Dominator running a EB .26
in the straights, off the jumps, just flat beat all around.

I have sent motors out for mods before, and they didn't last very long, a (well known) kid with a dremmel, took too much off the con rod..
that motor ran for 10 tanks, the kid had me send it back, and he fixed it, after I got it back it ran for 2 more tanks, and the bearings froze up...
I guess he had left some shavings from the dremmel in the engine.
I told myself never again...

After seeing the power that the EB motors were pumping out...I gave it another shot...
I will send every motor to EB from now on.
Keep up the great work EB!

My .02 cents:cheers:

Hey fellows I sent an email to eb mods inquiring about modification to my 26 and he told me he was not doing any modifications to big block picco 26 any more! Whats up? I am confused:confused:

Originally posted by nitrohead
Hey fellows I sent an email to eb mods inquiring about modification to my 26 and he told me he was not doing any modifications to big block picco 26 any more! Whats up? I am confused:confused:

Well,

Great thread....I'm confused to as I have an Italy Market .26 Pico Outlaw that EBmods said he'd mod for a current Savage race project. Why wouldn't he mod your engine unless he's getting allot of negaitve feedback with .26's....doubt it unless he wants to keep the glory power for himself...lol. He already said he's mod my engine and if he doesn't then I'm going to need a stupendious explanation to not be pissed off....lol.

Peace

Originally posted by speedbump
I have sent motors out for mods before, and they didn't last very long, a (well known) kid with a dremmel, took too much off the con rod..
that motor ran for 10 tanks, the kid had me send it back, and he fixed it, after I got it back it ran for 2 more tanks, and the bearings froze up...
I guess he had left some shavings from the dremmel in the engine.
I told myself never again...

It's people like that who give engine mods a bad name. I don't know if it's the same kid, but there was a guy on this forum spamming the site about free engine mods. He's been banned.

It just goes to show that engine mods are super techincal and shouldn't be attemped by novices.

nitrohead, I have no clue. Maybe he misunderstood you or something. Is your engine used or somerhing?

Hey guys,

I'm not doing a Big Bore (I've got the .26's though..lol) conversion on my Maxx now or in the forsiable future. I'm thinking about selling my kick ass 2.5 with Sirio Piston, sleeve and rod on e-bay ( need the pipe). I wanna get a new Sirio .18 and I wonder if EB mods will do the full mod on it....that would kick ass if he could and if I even got a good 50% power gain from the stock motor.

As for the twice the pull remark.....that a matter of gross interpritation of course but I wouldn't be suprised if this guy could give ya a 50% power increase across the spectrum. We'll c, either way motor life has to be shortened but how much??

Peace

I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject, but balancing the crank should increase the life of the engine as a whole. When the crankshaft vibrates, it's going to mess up the bearings. A more balanced crank means less vibration.

The one guy did say that he has 3 1/2 gallons on his EB .26 and it's "running real good".

I wish I could get the answers to your questions, but Ed has been really busy lately with lots of engines to mod. We're working adding some more content to the site. Maybe a Frequently Asked Questions section is in order.

If you guys want to "subscribe" to this thread, I'll post here when I have answers to your questions. (you'll get an email when people post on the thread)

Last edited:
From my own personal experience it's not the mod if done properly, it's the owner that typically decreases engine life span or what the operator uses it for vs. what it was built for...Lol.. Rob is right; a simple modification or balancing any engine will decrease friction or heat therefore increasing the life span.

I have many more years of experience with muscle cars like Mopar and Chevrolet including some racecar building than I have with nitro rc. One thing is for certain, all internal combustion engines have one thing in common, moving parts.

I'll try to keep it simple and not bore you.

Blueprinting is simply the plan that you go by or the specifications to build it to.

Balancing is obviously just that but there are two things to pay close attention to.

In high performance engine building parts always need to be balanced within very tight tolerances. Pistons, connecting rods, bearings etc. The tolerances are differences in weight and or size . They are typically balanced on a spring scale ( statically ) similar to a bathroom scale and then matched closely as to weight. The heavier matched counterparts are lightened to eliminate runout ( wobble ).

Then there is the crankshaft, which is balanced harmonically or spun on a harmonic balancer that works similar to a tire balancer. This tells you were to add or remove weight from the crankshaft.

Porting is modifying the intake and exhaust ports such as polishing, deburring ( I think that I made deburring up ). Decreases the restriction thereby increasing intake/exhaust flow. There is more to this one such as valves etc.

Other than multiple cylinders vs. single cylinder the process is the same with one exception, typically nitro rc engines have one cylinder, which opens another door....another post. Someone with more experience than I in rc please comment.

Typically all engines have blueprints and have been balanced. Not all engines have been taken to extremes.

This of course is not all that is done to come up with the winning combo but it is a basic start.

I would certainly like to hear more views from some of you.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

StrectchM - Thankyou very much for the more elaborate info (i figured that's what bluepriting was...it's the same thing we do when tunning a real car but we never had a name for it..lol).

If you notice my sig below, I'm currently running a daily driven beast (beast is an understatment) and I'm VERY familiar with mechanics in general and especially HIGH horsepower applications. ALthough many things (and principals) of GLow and standard combustion engines are similar...they have their distinct differences and I've never "tuned" or "moded" a glow engine.

I'd love it if I could get the full MOD on a Sirio .18 and one of my new Wasp/Outlaw .26's!!! If he can't do the .26 then I'll get over it but I couldn't c why if he was already doing it. Unless he was having problems with said .26 engines experiencing a very shortened life ect. My partner is actually the one who first contacted him about it and he's out of the country right now.

Rob - How can I get a hold of EBMods bro???

TIA

Originally posted by 30%NitroBoy
[BIf you notice my sig below, I'm currently running a daily driven beast (beast is an understatment) and I'm VERY familiar with mechanics in general and especially HIGH horsepower applications. ALthough many things (and principals) of GLow and standard combustion engines are similar...they have their distinct differences and I've never "tuned" or "moded" a glow engine. [/B]
30%NB, ok so you are the bad mofo and complicating it with a rotor! (did I get that part right?)
Neither have I. Maybe it's time to do a little experimentation. New tools for Xmas maybe?

Originally posted by StrechM

30%NB, ok so you are the bad mofo and complicating it with a rotor! (did I get that part right?)
Neither have I. Maybe it's time to do a little experimentation. New tools for Xmas maybe?

Hey Stretch, I wouldn't actually call my self a bad "MOFO" like in my sig (to much ego in that..lol) (that would be my old father the genius mechanic) but I hold my own. I more then hold my own with my Rx-7, I'll post lots of pics soon in the general discussion forum for everyone.

I love the Wankel Rotary engines and was happy as hell when Mazda came out with the new and improved rotary motor (granted I don't like the body style whatsover and wont buy it for that reason).

I know that OS makes some kind of GLow Rotory engine and that would be freaking awesome if they made a high output rotary for RC cars and trucks.

I need to start tinerking with high end glow engines, thanks agin for all the info as it's much appreciated!!!!

Last edited:
30%NitroBoy, 400 hp in an RX7 is a pretty bad mofo.,

I got pretty close to 600 out of my 426 Hemi Cuda and about 550 out of my GTX with a 440. Close to 450 in my 55 Chevy out of a 327. The Cuda and the GTX were wicked considering they were street rods. The 55 was fun but nowhere nere as fast. About 850 in the supermodified and that's a whole other story. 400 in an RX7 is a lot of hp and 544 is even more considering the weight.

Back