My first paint thread!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMaxxin

SLAP YA MAMA
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Some of you have seen a few bodies that I have painted and you know what to expect. For those that don't know...I suck at painting! I have no talent, no good ideas, and no patients when it comes to painting. My 1:1 is a 4th Gen Ram 1500 reg cab 4x4 so this is a body I have been waiting on and Proline finally made it. I was going to do a replica of my 1:1 but my truck is solid grey and I wanted this to stand out a bit more so I'm going to attempt a simple clean 2 tone paint job on it and hope for the best.

The body is a Pro-Line Ram 1500 1/10 Crawler body, heres a link to it
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/pro343400.htm

Here's a look at it freshly trimmed sitting on the truck
1qqqq_zps6b016f28.jpg

Here it is masked and ready for the first color, Tamiya PS-23, Gunmetal Grey
tapedup_zps8f8699b4.jpg

Tape removed after 4 coats of the Gunmetal was sprayed, not great but by far the best I have ever done!
grey_zps56611bea.jpg

grey2_zps951d9464.jpg

Thanks Joe, I took my time and made sure my razor tip was sharp! I Started on the second color and I'm a little worried, after I removed the masking tape I cleaned the body but didn't notice a grey streak on the hood until I shot the first coat and I'm afraid it's there to stay. You can see it in the above pic without the tape, drivers side hood.

Shot the second color, Tamiya PS-1 White and applied the decals. Overall not bad but I really wish I would have noticed that black mark on the hood.

rb2_zpsa6843820.jpg

Looks great except for that black mark on hood. LOL

Thanks for the comments.....I think

Some old dude with no pants was hood sliding and left a streak, as he ran away I heard him laughing and screaming Smaxxinsux

Just take something and make a small dent where the skid mark is, problem solved. :D Looks good Pete.

I might just do that!

Alright boys and girls.....Rolex, I need some of your wisdom for the next step. I need to glue a few things to the inside of the body, what type of glue can I use that won't eat through the paint but will still hold?

Last edited:
Shoe Goo would be better than Shoo Goo.;)

Thank you both for your suggestions but I think I'm going to try shoe goo.

I think you'll have better luck with Shoe Goo personally but whatever works :p

Nice lid btw!

I disagree. I would go with Shoo Goo instead.
Get some sticky back trim tape and add some graphics to the skid mark you screwed up.

Wow. I dig it. That black trim looks way cool.

Back