My first heli (blade CP Pro)..........

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lason

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Went to the hobby shop yesterday with the intentions of checking out 1/8 scale buggies and came home with a Blade Cp Pro. I have been playing on Real Flight G2 for a long time (year and half, off and on) and thought I was decent considering I could hover, figure 8's, mild stunts etc etc. Well i got this thing out of the box, charged up the lipo pack while I gave the heli a look over and quickly figured out I SUCK AT THIS! :LoL:

So far I have gone through 3 sets of blades and will probably be ordering a set of plastic blades sometime this week. Its extremely discouraging considering I have made it more than 3" off the ground only a few times.

If you're having that kind of trouble with it, don't be trying to ease it up.
Shoot it straight up to about 20 feet, where you'll have a margin of error to tweak your controls and get the feel of it. Once you can hold it steady in the air, you're on your way to controlling it near the ground. Right now, it's drifting faster than your inexperienced reflexes can keep up.

Went to the hobby shop yesterday with the intentions of checking out 1/8 scale buggies and came home with a Blade Cp Pro. I have been playing on Real Flight G2 for a long time (year and half, off and on) and thought I was decent considering I could hover, figure 8's, mild stunts etc etc. Well i got this thing out of the box, charged up the lipo pack while I gave the heli a look over and quickly figured out I SUCK AT THIS! :LoL:

So far I have gone through 3 sets of blades and will probably be ordering a set of plastic blades sometime this week. Its extremely discouraging considering I have made it more than 3" off the ground only a few times.

Patience and persistence.......I owned one of these.....in fact I acquired much the same way you did.....

After its original price in parts was consumed by my terrible pilot skills, I sold it.....

I am now eying a CX2.....should be easier to crash..;)

Best of luck to you. Don quit .....you can do it.....!!!

Yeah I played with it some more and found it alot easier to control when it was at about 6" to a foot off the ground. Also tweaked the 3n1 a little bit to hold the tail better. I got a couple busted blades that were broke at the tips and cut about 1" off each one and it made it A LOT easier to control because of the increased head speed to get it off the ground. I think I'm going to invest in some plastic blades as I hear they are a lot more durable than the balsa ones till I get better.

There are 3 very important things to being successful with a heli:
1. Setup
2. Setup
3. Setup

I'm still trying to get my Belt CP mechanically set. And it's a bitch. Bare minimum you HAVE to make sure your blades are balanced and your pitch is correct. That took me a bit. Now I'm trying to dial my HH tail in. Thanks to some useless instructions with both my gyro (which had NO instructions) and my radio, I've been doing more surfing than adjusting. But I think I finally have it set. I feel like a heli-tard because I still have my massive training gear strapped to this thing. But I'm getting better.

Nice choice, I've had my eye on that helicopter for a long time now. Just too cheap to buy it :(

I'm doing ok with it so far. But it's my first real heli project. My last heli was a smaller fixed pitch and those aren't as picky. There really is a ton of stuff to these. It's really tough to get used to. With our monster trucks, if we mash them or cartwheel them, they usually come back for more. But with the heli's, if you so much as bounce them a little funny you tend to break all sorts of stuff. They are definitely 1000 times more fragile than the cars.

On that bird? Nah. It's probably easier for you to just jump into some Kevlar body armor. Same effect...

....I think I'm going to invest in some plastic blades as I hear they are a lot more durable than the balsa ones till I get better.

"Until you get better" is all the more reason not to do this. :D When you have a hard landing, the blades flex downward and hit the boom. These, and carbon fiber blades, will chop your boom right off, wires and all. Some argue a boom is cheaper than blades, but they are glued in there really well and sometimes you wind up changing the whole frame, it's about a two hour job. Besides that, until you learn to fly, plasti-blades and CF will do a LOT more damage if you hit anything (TV, walls, furniture, windows, yourself . . . .)

You can repair bunged up blades and re-cover them, or even grow your own, I do it all the time.

Back