Music Downloaders!

• Thread starter SilentHunterKellen
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentHunterKellen

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
This is an article on AOL that i found on Music Downloading, I know some of you do, I sure do.

he record industry started another campaign yesterday aimed at making life more uncomfortable for online music-swapping fans.

Thousands of people trading copyrighted music online yesterday saw a message appear unbidden on their computer screens: "When you break the law, you risk legal penalties. There is a simple way to avoid that risk: DON'T STEAL MUSIC."

The messages, which seek to turn a chat feature in popular file-trading software to the industry's benefit, reflect the latest effort among record executives to limit digital copying of their products.

"People feel invincible when they're doing this in the privacy of their homes," said Cary Sherman, president of the Recording Industry Association of America. "This is a way of letting them know that what they're doing is illegal."

The association plans to send at least a million warnings a week to people offering popular songs for others to copy. Operated by a company that industry officials declined to identify, the automated system uses a feature in both KaZaA and Grokster, free software commonly used to share music files, that was designed to let users communicate with one another.

A spokeswoman for Sharman Networks, the distributor of KaZaA, said that the tactic violated the company's user agreement, which prohibits making search requests to accumulate information about individual users. Sharman, which is based in Vanuatu, a Pacific island nation, said in a statement, "We strenuously object to efforts outside the law, in violation of user agreements, or in violation of the privacy rights to indiscriminately spam, mislead or confuse" its users.

Until recently, the record industry has been reluctant to act against the several million people who copy music over the Internet from one another for fear of alienating its own customers. But with CD sales plummeting, the record labels have lately taken a more aggressive stance.

The industry filed lawsuits this month against four college students, charging them with copyright infringement and seeking billions of dollars in damages.

Last week, the industry group won permission from a federal judge to force Verizon to turn over the name of a subscriber it suspects of providing hundreds of copyrighted songs through KaZaA.

Verizon is appealing that decision, but analysts said another court decision last week might force the industry to focus on file traders, rather than the software they use. A federal judge in Los Angeles ruled that Grokster and Morpheus, two popular file-trading programs, could be used for both legal and illegal purposes — like a Xerox machine. Because the owners of the software cannot control what people do with it, the judge said, they are not liable for copyright infringement.

"It forces the R.I.A.A. to shift its focus to the actual participants on the network," said Phil Leigh, a digital media analyst at Raymond James. "I would credit them here with taking a step that gets their message in front of users in a fairly obvious way without the terror of a process server at their door."

Record companies, analysts said, are trying to strike a bit of fear in the hearts of file traders without sowing the kind of hostility that could lead to a boycott or even increased music swapping.

Record industry officials emphasized that the campaign was intended to be an educational effort in line with earlier television ads that featured prominent artists. The record companies cannot learn the real name or address of other users simply by using the instant message feature built into the program.

In addition to warning users about the legal risks of their actions, the message explains that file trading hurts musicians and songwriters. The users are also directed to www.musicunited.net, a site created by supporters of the campaign.

But the record labels still need to contend with the insistence of many file traders that what they are doing is justified by what they see as the industry's failure to lower prices and provide an inexpensive system for downloading music legally.

One frequent KaZaA user, who declined to give his name for fear of the legal consequences, said he would simply check the box in the software that blocks instant messages.

"This is an ongoing war between the community of true music fans against the big corporations that control music," said the user, a 34-year-old man in Hicksville, N.Y. "It's possible that this will scare some people, but it won't scare all people."

Just a Little Info...
[move]-Kellen[/move]

Just because of what they're doing, i'm gonna leave kazaa, imesh, and winmx on...all night long

Wow. You have WINMX? Me2. My name is -=Kellen=- but with some numbers after that. Find me if ya can! I listen to Punk, Heavy rock, Alt, Rap, R&B, and Some oldies-Like the ROCKY theme.
[move]-Kellen[/move]

Funny you mention this - I was one of the ones Sued by Metallica in the day. I even saved the screen shots hehehehe

Anyhow, their problem with sueing me is there was not a single soul who had actually downloaded anything from MY computer. I simply downloaded what I already owned the rights to. I (at that time) had owned a copy of EVERY CD and even some cassettes and albums that Metallica had produced. Which by law, allowed me to have MP3 versions on my computer. Having broadband access allowed me to download these songs quicker than it would have taken me to re-record them in MP3 format. They got nowhere with me.

My point is this, if you are not distributing anything (cleaning out your shared folder regularly) and you happen to own the CD (nobody can prove when you bought it) then downloading what you already own is not illegal.

After all, you can copy any CD you own as many times as you like as long as it is for your own personal use.... RIGHT ????

No! it goes two ways, If you sell that cd, its illegal, but if you keep it for personal use, or give it away-Legal. How did metallica sue you? Cool, and UnCool.
[move]-Kellen[/move]

damn that lars...he's a lil bitch...dunno if you guys watch mtv but he was giving out some award and everyone was booing him...funniest poop...that lil bitch

Yeah, I use to like Metallica (about 14 years ago), now they are just some grumpy old men that arent making any money because they SUCK. They were the ones that started this whole illegal file shareing BS. I mean come on, its file sharing. You can save a CD that you bought from a store onto your harddrive, and then send it to your buddy through email. Whats the difference??? I think that music file sharing will never die:mex: I'm downloading some high dollar software from KaZzA right now:shhh:

Me 2. KaZaa Lite is a Good Program for Files-It doesn't have spyware.
[move]-Kellen[/move]

Well I download microsoft office 2000....and also dreamweaver...those are both really expensive...I have a few games too...it's tight downloading poop fer free that would have normally cost hella....

Microsoft office is about 100 bucks i believe!!!
[move]-Kellen[/move]

KaZaa Lite kicks ass!

Lets see those pics Chris!

dreamweaver is like 240-300...I think...oh yeah, I downloaded this thing called fruity loops that makes beats...that thing cost $100

And I downloaded all the Initial D episodes + movies

Hey, I got fruity loops too! Its good for me to practice rapping!
[move]-Kellen[/move]

9Banned_By_Metallica-med.jpg

Full size is in my gallery. That llink would lead to the notification. Then, there were the emails. I may have to fire up my old P.C. to get you those.

DeathRogue69 was/is my Quake 2 and 3 name. Was a member of WoD and AzA clan in the day. Anyhow, now my user name on Kazaa and WinMX is FFuckMetallica.