Mounting Engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroNewb

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
This is kind of an after thought since I've already put every thing together...but...when I pulled out the old engine, it was held in by 4 screws through elongated holes in the skid plate. No lock washers, just 4 screws.
Is this all that holds the engine and it's gear against the gear box?? Seems rather shabby. I put in stainless screws/with blue loc-tite but it seems that if the engine should vibrate even a little and move in those elongated holes that the gears would start to separate causing who knows what. I'm sure it wouldn't be good.
Any thoughts on this?
I still haven't fired this thing up yet.Waiting for a day when it's above 40*. Soon I hope.

Just loctite, and your good. Also make sure your mesh was set properly, I use the paper method.

yes. those 4 little screws is all it takes.. I've put it to the test.. misjudged
turn and drove my jato full throttle into a railroad tie wall,, broke almost everything but including the motor mount, but those four little screws staid in place.

Just loctite, and your good. Also make sure your mesh was set properly, I use the paper method.

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean make sure gears are lined up??

What is the paper method??

Proper mesh between the clutchbell and spur gear. You don't want it too tight or too loose or you will tear up either gear, usually the spur. With the engine mount screws snug but not tight, take a strip of paper (preferably standard 20lb copy paper) and slip it in between the gears, then push the motor over and you will pinch the paper between the spur and cb. tighten down the screws and pull the paper out, it should come out all crinkled and you will have the proper mesh between cb and spur.

I passed the paper test. Thanks for the tip.