Motor getting to hot

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xXbigman123Xx

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I just bought an apex 540 13t brushed motor for my redcat blackout xte. The motor keeps getting so hot the solder melts and the wires pop off. What should I do?
Idk if this matters or not but the batteries are 6cell 7.2v nimh.

You need to get a smaller pinion gear. Sounds like one thats a few, if not several teeth smaller than the one you're using now.

ok solder melting off?! that's insane man i don't recommend driving it all until you gear down some

ok solder melting off?! that's insane man i don't recommend driving it all until you gear down some
Yea I know that's why I haven't touched it since and have been doing some research. Ok and with gearing down should I change just the pinion gear or should I change the spurr gear too? It's at 18/55 right now.

Yea I know that's why I haven't touched it since and have been doing some research. Ok and with gearing down should I change just the pinion gear or should I change the spurr gear too? It's at 18/55 right now.
What gear pitch are you running?

Mod .8 is your gear pitch. I just looked it up. Id get an 11T, 13T, and a 15T mod .8 pinion gears. You will also need a temp gun. Id put the 13T on first and check motor temps periodically while running. You really dont want your motor to go over 175-180F. If your still running to hot after that then Id try the 11T. If motor temps arent hitting 170F then you can try and use the 15T.

Mod .8 is your gear pitch. I just looked it up. Id get an 11T, 13T, and a 15T mod .8 pinion gears. You will also need a temp gun. Id put the 13T on first and check motor temps periodically while running. You really dont want your motor to go over 175-180F. If your still running to hot after that then Id try the 11T. If motor temps arent hitting 170F then you can try and use the 15T.
Ohhh ok sorry I'm new to all this lol. But ok that sounds good to me thanks

That motor is kinda known for running hot according to reviews it seems. The end bell is plastic (where the rear bushing is on the motor shaft). If it got to the point the solder melted off, make sure and check all the plastic around the end bell where the wires attach and the motor shaft is. My guess is it has likely taken some damage, causing your motor shaft to be out of whack, brushes to be misaligned, etc.

For what its worth I put a $10 motor heat sink and fan combo on my sons 12 turn Titan motor and it made a big difference. Motor temps went from over 150-degrees to less than 115 degrees with the fan. His stock Slash was running a 11/54 gear combo but with larger tires its now 9/54 if that helps.