Motor esc combo?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RcJunkie13

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a traxxas 8s 160a esc and this tp motor
1620682764494.png

Can I run that esc?
I also have a spectrum firma 160a with a bad switch, has anyone bypassed it? Otherwise I would have to wait for a switch from china, unless somone can sell me one off a dead spectrum or hobbywing esc, it is a 4 wire switch.

Thiis link was given to me by arrmaforum, however now that I am looking closer I am starting to doubt that its correct. I is the width of a 5th scale motor, 8mm shaft and the lenght of an xmaxx motor. I want to use it in an xmaxx

I really wish I can say, I dont have the motor with me right now, there is an xo1 frame for an example, I will try and get you dimensions tonight, it used 48/50 gearing on the xo1. If this helps, it is about twice the width and 1.5 the lenght of a large 8th scale motor.

Ok you can run 4-6-8 cell on that esc. so motors kv is most important.. check kv on motor and see f its able to run as many cell as you want. also a censored motor will not run smoothly on a noncensored esc..

Guys, I found out it’s a tp 5660

Apparently the 5660 comes in a wide variety of KV and Max LiPo cell ranges. Not sure how you're gonna figure out which one it is tho.

s-l1600.png

yeah, but I found out that tp reccomends a 200a esc for that size, I will still try the spectrum tho if I get a switch

According to the Specs on that sheet there, even on 12S the max continuous Amperage draw would be about 109A. The lower in voltage (lipo cell count) you go the higher tha amp draw so yeah I would say you're gonna need a 200A ESC in order to run this but even on a 200A ESC you're still gonna have to run at least 8S. On 6S your continuous Amp draw can climb up to almost 250A draw.

According to the Specs on that sheet there, even on 12S the max continuous Amperage draw would be about 109A. The lower in voltage (lipo cell count) you go the higher tha amp draw so yeah I would say you're gonna need a 200A ESC in order to run this but even on a 200A ESC you're still gonna have to run at least 8S. On 6S your continuous Amp draw can climb up to almost 250A draw.
Can you please explain why it would be higher on 6s

Its called Watts Law which states Wattage = Voltage x Amperage. According to the spec sheet for that motor Its continuous wattage is 5500W. So using Watts law, If we divide 5500W / Pack Voltage = Amperage. The nominal voltage of a 12S pack is 44.4V and a 6S pack is 22.2V right? so 5500W/44.4V=123.87A. I said 109 cuz i made the calculation using the voltage of a full 12S pack which is 50.4V but as the pack drains it the voltage will go down to nominal and the Amperage will raise to 124A. If we divide 5500W/22.2V=247.74A. The less voltage you have the more Amperage is needed to do the same amount of work.

Make sense now?

just an update... ordered switch a week ago, still waiting