More t maxx problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pike

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a 3.3 t maxx. Just changed the spur gear as few teeth were missing all back together. Iv tried to start it won't even turn over. On the ez start the motor light won't illuminate. Any ideas?!

Battery in ez start could be weak and need charging. Also check to see if engine is flooded by removing glow plug and holding rig upside down and turning over the starter for a few seconds to remove excess fuel from cylinder head. Replace plug and try starting.

I got rid of all the excess fuel by doing what you said and I have a new battery which I trickled charged for 24 hours but still can't get it to start

Are you trying to start it with the blue glo plug wire or are you using an external glo plug ignitor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm trying to start it using the blue glow plug wire

Do you have an ignitor? I had a very similar problem with mine and switching to an external ignitor helped alot. I also changed out the ez start wiring harness ($5) but snipped off the blue wire and that also seemed to make a big difference. Have you checked the plug by removing it and trying to use the ez start wand while the plug is out to see if the plug is glowing strong enough?

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

I used to remove the plug and connect it to my ignitor to check the glow plug externally.

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

The ez start does 2 things. Turns over the motor and provides an ignition source for the motor. Problem being that the blue wire does not provide ENOUGH heat usually. The external ignitor does a far better job of that. Removing the blue wire will not harm your system in any way and you will find it much easier to start it.

Hope all this helps your situation

WOuld be nice if traxxas would update the ez-start to let you half press the button to preheat the plug, then full press to turn the engine over. That would allow the ezstart to work much better for those who do like using it.

Dont get me wrong, the ez start is great...when used with a glow ignitor. Id say its a much better alternative to using an ignitor along with pull start.

Could be a bad wand, Traxxas had a stretch where some were dead right out of the box and other would die soon after. Do you have any friends that'll let you try their's? Do you hear the EZ start motor trying to turn over?

I quit using the Blue Wire back around 12 years ago because it was more of a headache then it did good. A Glow Plug igniter is a good investment and can be picked up for about $15.00 bucks. I have 2 Dynamite Glow Igniters with a Sub C Cells they are about $25.00 Bucks each.

It is also hard to test your glow plug with the blue wire but possible. Disconnect one of the leads to the easy start motor. Use a burst of Nitro Cleaner to clean around the plug before removing it from the engine. Remove the glow plug and hold it against the side head of the engine wear the aluminum is exposed and not on the blue anodized sections. Then press the easy start button. The glow plug should glow bright Orange or almost Yellow. Glowing Red it is getting a little weak or no glow at all means the filiment is broken.

You might need a new glow plug.

Iv tried to start it won't even turn over. On the ez start the motor light won't illuminate. Any ideas?!

Everyone is stating the same thing over and over about ditching the blue wire and getting an ignitor and I agree 100%, BUT the blue wire has nothing to do with the engine turning over. If the engine isn't turning over and the light on the wand isn't even coming, chances are the wand is defective.

So we have go back to asking did the engine turn over once you removed the fuel from the engine? Did the ezstart rattle a bit and barely turn over the engine? While I have never had a EZStart wand go bad and mine is 12 years old it is possible to fry them.

The other problem is the EZStart motor goes bad after many starts because they are brushed motors. I had to replace the EZstart motor this year on my 12 year old 4910 TMAxx then cleaned out the old grease and dirt in the gearing from the motor to the One Way bearing. I used a little bit of AE Stealth Diff grease on my upper gears than put a few drops of bearing oil on the OneWay bearing after cleaning everything in the gear box with nitro engine cleaner. Traxxas posts how to do this on their FAQ section.

Prior to this work I had to perform mine would just rattle a bit and not turn the engine over. Just a few experiences I have had with the EZStart System.

Last edited:
At the shop I work at, we've had about 5 of our RTRs come out of the box with dead wands over the past year. We've had a few more that dies within a couple, most were the ignitor part not working but some were the starter motor side.

At the shop I work at, we've had about 5 of our RTRs come out of the box with dead wands over the past year. We've had a few more that dies within a couple, most were the ignitor part not working but some were the starter motor side.

So my 12 year old EZStart wand is made better than the ones they ship out of china these days? Sorry just had to say it Traxxas is an American Company in Texas but a company that ships their production over seas and sometimes quality hinders on this fact. :whhooo:

I still have my original EZStart wand for my 1999 4Tec and the car that still works where you had strap the battery pack to it.

Last edited:
I find the best and easiest way to start.. Is the first run of the day i use a ignitor. Then after that i use the blue wire... Once the engine is warm the blue wire will start with no issues and one less thing to carry in my pocket...

If u ditch the ex start all together then u Dnt have to carry the giant wand,just a little front pocket frendly ignighter,

Traxxas dosent have a wand. U thinking of the hpi roto start

Traxxas dosent have a wand. U thinking of the hpi roto start

5280.jpg

^^That's the wand everyone is referring to.