MOA vs Shafty in comps....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCNitro

Fist of Goodness
In Memoriam
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I know these two rigs are completely different animals. The funny thing everyone is acting like moa is the "new" deal, when Tamiya has been doing it since the 80s with the Clod, all the first Clod based supers back in the early days of crawling were actually moa.

But back to my thought, since they are so different, I was wondering if we will see a split in the classes? Not everyone can afford to go out and build a berg, or bully based rig, and there are some pretty nice shafty crawlers for much less money than the new breed moas. However I just don't think the two should be competing in the same class. That would be like taking an IRL car and making them compete in the F-1 class.

I think splitting the two rigs in to two classes would still allow shafty guys to compete against other shaftys at an equal level, and moa guys to compete with other moas at an equal level as well. I don't think the class should be based solely on tire size, when they are two totally different rigs.

I dont think they will split anytime soon. Honestly with the money I have into my losi I could have easily built a moa. If you dont have the funds to support a decent comp rig shafty or moa then its not likely you will do well anyway. My dad used to have a saying about racing that applys to pretty much every hobby. "These race cars dont run on cubic inches, they run on cubic dollars."

That and alot of the Losi comp crawlers are placing far ahead of moa's.

Yeah I really really doubt they split into seperate classes, most regularly competitive guys with shafty's have them so dialed in that they can compete right there with the MOA's in most situations. The main advantage other than less moving parts is that you can run a higher belly clearance imo on a moa than on a shafty and still have the same if not lower cog than a shafty running a very low belly clearance.

It's like all other forms of RC racing Joe.

Just because your rig looks performs better or has the most money into it does not mean it will win.

The X factor will always be the driver.

Last edited:
It's like all other forms of RC racing Joe.

Just because your rig looks performs better or has the most money into it does not mean it will win.

The X factor will always be the driver.

X2 but money does help ;)

You are correct Joe, M.O.A is not new tech in anyway. I don't ever think the class will split, crawling is like racing you gotta do what it takes to win.

As for the price a good built shafty will run just as much as any M.O.A. rig. When is comes to which truck is better,well that all depends on the situation. I have seen shaftys do things that M.O.A can't. On the other hand I have seen M.O.As do things that a shafty can't. It is the drivers skill 75% of the time.

when they are two totally different rigs.

How is that ?

They both have 4 wheels and tires, 2 axles with one axle that steers. I have even seen Axials with dual transmissions and dual motors.

I used to think the same thing Joe, But now that I have my Shafty pretty well dialed in I can go most places guys with MOA rigs can, the driver is the biggest factor IMO, I am sure if I let a top driver run my rig he could get it to do things that I can't and that just comes from having more skill and a better ability to see the lines on a course.

If is the money, a shafty cost just as much to build if not more then a M.O.A. You can drop 550.00 alone in just axles and a trans for a shafty. Where you can get a set of Bullies loaded and ready to rock for 160.00

I was just more curious than anything on what your guys opinions on this would be. It was just something I was thinking about since I would one day actually like to make it to a comp. Unfortunitely I have never been to a comp, and with the rig I have now I don't think I would either. I love going down to the beach for a few hours and crawling for fun, and it is a lot of fun, but I know my rig would not be competative at a comp. I always here the guys running the moas how much better they are than shaftys, and was just wondering if one day they might split them up.

Thanks for the input guys.

Joe, if you don't mind I'd like to add another somewhat relative question to the topic...

I always read about "builds" and upgrades in many crawler conversations. It almost seems like there is no place for an entry level guy to compete in this forn of rc competition. Is there no "stock" class like there is in on-road racing? I would think this section of the hobby would gain from a box stock class.

I say take what you got and go to a comp, my very first comp was with AX10 ARTR I won on here and it was box stock with the 6 cell battery mounted top side no fancy gear a ESC that had reverse delay, that was fun, LOL!! and I still did pretty well and had a great time, you gotta start some where.

Joe, if you don't mind I'd like to add another somewhat relative question to the topic...

I always read about "builds" and upgrades in many crawler conversations. It almost seems like there is no place for an entry level guy to compete in this forn of rc competition. Is there no "stock" class like there is in on-road racing? I would think this section of the hobby would gain from a box stock class.

Don't mind at all.

I think more people might actually feel comfortable to go out and compete if they had a stock class. A class where they could run without having to dump a ton of cash in to the rig to be competative.

Theres usually a novice class.

Usually no dig is one of them.

Here where I comp the clubs that have Pro and Novice Classes the only thing that separates the two is Dig, If you use Dig then you run in the Pro Class, If you don't use Dig then you run in the Novice Class, how ever if you wanted to you could run in the Pro Class even without Dig if you chose too.

Ya a lot of comps have a novice class with no dig and they usually run less gates as well. Our club on runs 2.2 and 1.9 no novice. We still gets guys from all stages in crawling though.

Back