Mini scale racer

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my steel stock today. 3 days and not one single opinion or tip? What's up with that?

A sprint racer? I really have no clue...

What's a CPRP body?

http://www.cpminiraceway.com/index.html

Now this won't be scale like a "scaler" project but I'm going to attempt to build a 1/24 scale stock car and follow the "stock car" theme as closely as I can. I want to include the major standouts that most r/c cars don't have. Full tube frame and rollcage, trailing arm rear suspension, independent front suspension. Staying with the theme, no high tech power (not brushless). Rear wheel drive and 4 wheel braking would be a nice touch as well.

I'm probably going to buy the new Losi Mini Rally car in a couple weeks. I suspect I can use some of the suspension components at least.

My biggest concern is the diff. I highly doubt the Mini Rally's gear diff will hold the kind of torque this thing would require to get going. I've already started to scout the web in search of parts that can be modified for custom micro ball diff. I'd rather a gear diff but it depends on how good the Mini Rally's differential is and how well it can be shimed (if at all).

WooHoo! Got my bodies today! These purchases are the first r/c deliveries I've seen at my door in a long time. I forgot how good it feels to get some cool new r/c stuff :D Pardon me, I'm kinda giddy here... Anyways, I bought two bodies for the heck of it. They fit over my 1/24th scale Mcmurray die-cast model well. The correct width and about a 1/2" longer. I've already taken the body off of the scale model so I could get a better look at how the rollcage should look. Obviously it won't be exactly the same due to mechanical and space limitations but I hope to get it reasonably close. We'll see. Well now that I can see the space I'm dealing with I need some parts. I'd like to power this thing with a pair of brushed mini mod motors. Of course it'll run Nimh as well and now that I think of it... I think this would be the PERFECT application for a... bear with me here... mechanical speed control [gasp]!!!!!

Hmmm... starting to think mini is not such a good idea. 1:10 scale is much more reasonable since parts will be like 200x easier to come by and the choices are near limitless.

Your new ride

i just bought a couple cprp car bodies and 35 feet of .125 1018 steel stock. What am i doing? :)

get to bendin sounds like someone after my own heart lets see some pics of them chassies when your done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well this project died rather quickly as I realized how difficult it would be to do this as small as 24th scale. I'm still pondering whether I can do a semi-scratch stock car in 1:10 scale. I just got a MERV diff and it looks to be the PERFECT size.

That's a MERV diff in front of a 1:10 TC wheel. Oh and BTW, this pic was taken with my Droid X. Freakin' sweet!

246083797_photobucket_3756_.gif

lookin good lessen, i hope the merv diff fits too. As for the droid x, i LOVE LOVE LOVE mine so much! its an amazing phone!

either way you go, 1/24 or 1/10 this should be a cool project. good luck! can't wait to see the build pics.

BTW, regarding the phone, do you use it for work? if so, how does it work with exchange?

either way you go, 1/24 or 1/10 this should be a cool project. good luck! can't wait to see the build pics.

BTW, regarding the phone, do you use it for work? if so, how does it work with exchange?

Yes, I do use it for work. It seems to work well with exchange. Actually, a lot of the time I get the email on my phone just before I get it on my desktop at work.

@ Lessen - Thank you. considering i dropped my BB in a puddle today that may be my new phone.

Its pretty slick bro. I think you'll like it. Plus its on a dependable network. Sprint was horrible.

Back