Maybe Someone Here Can Help... Hopefully

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin2048

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok, well I don't know if there are any computer geeks on here but I am trying to install Ubuntu 9.1 onto my 1 terabyte external hard drive. I am not using a live CD, I use UNetBootin to put the Ubuntu installer on my 8 gig flash drive. I partitioned my external hard drive so there is 200 gigs of unallocated space. I boot off of my flash drive with Ubuntu 9.1, I click the icon on the desktop that says "Install Ubuntu 9.10", I go through all the settings and I chose to install the the largest amount of continuous space, which is the 200 gigs. the Ubuntu installer comes up and starts installing Ubuntu to my external. when the installer reaches 94-95%, which is when the grub boot loader is installed, the Ubuntu installer just quits and I get an error window that says "Sorry, the program "ubiquity" closed unexpectedly". I have tried installing this way several times and the same thing happens. each time before I try and reinstall I wipe the partition. a few times i have formatted my flash drive and put the Ubuntu installer on again. any suggestions on what I should do or try?

Thanks,
Austin

btw, I went to Ubuntu Forums with this and didn't get much help...

I would stick with the Ubuntu forum a little longer. Might take a while before you get an answer, but they have the skills. I can remember next to nothing about how linux works.

Linux can be pretty finicky about mounting devices sometimes, especially USB devices, at least in my experience. Have you tried installing from a CD instead? I've never had any issues installing Ubuntu from a disk.

My post has been on ubuntu forums for about a month now. I don't think anyone is gonna be helping me soon.

I haven't tried a live CD but I'll make one and try that. My friend did the same thing I'm trying to do and it worked with his flash drive and HDD just fine. He gave me his flash drive and that didn't work either. I formatted my HDD and that didn't work either.

i figured it out. i tried the live cd but that didnt work. i came across an old ubuntu 8.1 cd i had and i got an idea. i installed ubuntu 8.1 on my external and it worked. i installed all of the updates then i upgraded to ubuntu 9.4 and installed all the updates. i then upgraded to ubuntu 9.1 and installed the updates. i got everything set up and my theme all nice and dark but by this time it was like 4 in the morning lol. ill try and post a screen shot of everything =]

Back