Maverick phantom xt v FTX Carnage 2

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Rogers

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, so i got my son a Carnage 2 and his friend got a maverick phantom xt. we are family friends and so the dads and sons have been out a few times with cars. The maverick out accelerates, has a faster top speed and also lasts a lot longer on the same 3700 7.2v NiMH battery than the Carnage. Both vehicles have 550 15T brushed motors and the same larger battery. I can't figure out why the phantom is so much better. They seem to weigh similar amounts. The gearing on the phantom is a 56 spur and 15 pinion and the carnage is 66 and 17. So I thought these seemed similar. Any ideas what's causing the performance difference ? Thanks.

Hi, so i got my son a Carnage 2 and his friend got a maverick phantom xt. we are family friends and so the dads and sons have been out a few times with cars. The maverick out accelerates, has a faster top speed and also lasts a lot longer on the same 3700 7.2v NiMH battery than the Carnage. Both vehicles have 550 15T brushed motors and the same larger battery. I can't figure out why the phantom is so much better. They seem to weigh similar amounts. The gearing on the phantom is a 56 spur and 15 pinion and the carnage is 66 and 17. So I thought these seemed similar. Any ideas what's causing the performance difference ? Thanks.
Welcome to the forum. Internal gearing in the diffs, trasmission, tire diameters, driving styles, etc all come into play when it comes to run time, top speed, low end torque, etc. Without knowing all of these details, it's hard to say for sure.

The Phantom has a 3.73 pinion/spur ratio, whereas the Carnage has a 3.88. If both had the same internal ratio, and same tire diameters, the Carnage would have a tad more power off the line, but have less top speed. But even then, there are lots of factors at play here. One may have more or less friction in the drivetrain as well.

Welcome to the forum. Internal gearing in the diffs, trasmission, tire diameters, driving styles, etc all come into play when it comes to run time, top speed, low end torque, etc. Without knowing all of these details, it's hard to say for sure.

The Phantom has a 3.73 pinion/spur ratio, whereas the Carnage has a 3.88. If both had the same internal ratio, and same tire diameters, the Carnage would have a tad more power off the line, but have less top speed. But even then, there are lots of factors at play here. One may have more or less friction in the drivetrain as well.
Thanks for the super quick response, the extra factors to consider is really helpful. I don't suppose you know if there is any info out there on comparing motors. Would two 550 brushed 15t motors provide similar performance all things being equal? Or do motors differ considerably even though both are 550 brushed 15t. Thanks

Thanks for the super quick response, the extra factors to consider is really helpful. I don't suppose you know if there is any info out there on comparing motors. Would two 550 brushed 15t motors provide similar performance all things being equal? Or do motors differ considerably even though both are 550 brushed 15t. Thanks
Even 15t brushed motors from the same manufacturer can run at different speeds. You typically see better performance if you break in brushed motors, because the brushes will wear differently under load. We used to break in our motors in the slot cars we ran, and you could see a noticeable difference after break in.

That being said, if the two motors were driven differently on their maiden outings, one may have worn the brushes in better than the other. But even if all that were identical, they could still have different performance due to one having slightly different internal resistances, besides just at the brushes.

Go through your car and clean everything. Lube all the areas like dogbones (axles) with a dry film lube such as graphite. Make sure all the bearings are clean. You can also buy bearing lube for them if you want. I just soak mine in WD40, then wipe them down good before reinstalling them. WD40 removes moisture. It's not a lube. Any excess liquid in an RC car will attract dirt and dust and cause premature wear and resistance.