Making studded tires

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WazabiQc

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i'm looking to make studded tires for winter running, what are the cheapest tires i could get for a t-maxx ? i don't want anything expensive, could be slick tires, i'll put screws through them anyway.

Whatever you decide to do, be careful with putting screws into the tires while running. The thin rubber used to make RC tires are not near as strong as a 1:1 tire and could throw one of the screws.

Well if i put screws through by the inside, screws head would sit inside the tire.. by using large head screws like metal sheets screw, i think it can hold fine. I can add some sort of glue or cement glue so they hold on.

I'm just giving a fair warning. It might work just fine, but I've torn tires driving in grass. It can and does happen. Just be careful. The cheap tires are cheap for a reason.

Better off just using a wheel with no tire at all, drill small holes strategically and nut and washer the stud in place

Better off just using a wheel with no tire at all, drill small holes strategically and nut and washer the stud in place

Foamies might work for what your suggesting. I have seen alloy rims with spikes, but I think it was a puller.

This was the first prototype

---------- Post added at 7:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:21 PM ----------

This was the first prototype

a3yty3ub.jpg

That look like it would chew up a patch of ice, did you try self-tapping screws?

Why not just get a good set of paddle tires and a ski kit for the front. I have been using that setup forever. The full force ski's are good quality.

well skis look kinda weak and i don't think paddles would be helpful for the kind of snow running i'll be doing.. that's why. if i put screws in my stock t-maxx tires, in the thicker part, could it really throw one of the screws out ?

i tried this a few years back with a set of tmaxx chevrons, i used small sheet metal screws, they worked great for about an hour, then the rubber began to give way and the screws were coming out all over the place. i never tried gluing them, so that might help keep them in place, but it was a failed experiment for me !

heres a crazy idea. readjust the throttle to only give 75% speed. to keep the studs in the tire.

well, seeing what people said, it could be dangerous to do so, however, i reajusted my linkage for throttle so it doesn't really go FULL power. in handles a bit better since anyway in snow, it would be slipping. i'll probably keep chevron tire, and make sure there's some sticky snow on my backyard track :) i don't want to rip one of my tire with screws.

This might be a dumb thought but what if you reinforced the inner wall of the tire so it almost acted like a car tire, or atleast to hold the stud in?

I could see lining the inside with a clear packing tape or something like that to keep it rigid and reinforce it. But there is still that chance of tossing a screw at an extreme speed out the back end of that tire.

I have seen metal studded wheels before on ebay for RC applications, they looked very similar to this. The nice thing is they are machine screws with nylon lock nuts, so when they get damaged/bent you can replace them.

1-5-FG-Rear-Spike-Wheels-Tires-for-rc-monster-truck-Payment-Terms-L-C-T.jpg

or you could get something like these, IMO these things are badass!

TKLG_7208.jpg

On a side note - screws in tires would work if you had something like 1/5th scale baja tires. I have seen that done before but they were screwed into large nubbys. The first time a tire comes off the ground and balloons your going to throw the screws everywhere which could result in some serious injurty. If either of these options above are to expensive or not to your liking you could always get some cheap wheels and add screws like the first picture.

Last edited:
Back