Making my own beadlock wheels..

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKIP

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So I heve been playing with the design of a bead lock rim.. Its more geared twards crawing but if the concept works then I will make some larger sized rims as these are for 2.2 tires...

Started with a chunck of Delrin, and slabed it down..
e1e8884d.gif

Rotory table and some thought.. :)
22da6971.gif

Need to machine the hex's in but should have the bits tommorrow..
cd99e288.gif

CNC version will look like this but there will only be screws on one side..
5e7acc5f.gif

Hope it works...

looks like it should work. if it boes do you think your going to sell them? if so are they going to be cheaper then 120 bucks?

thats a water jet? is that thing yours? sorry but i always wanted one of those.

All done.. with one.. but it is impossible to get the bead out.. Only bolts from one side... Just need to make 3 more and design something for the face of the ring..

Yes I plan to sell them.. I am proving my concept and hope to have the CNC shop make a few sets.. If they end up over $100, I am not gonna make them, other than for myself..

regergwrgwt4gtsr.gif

trwtrwggrwgtrwg.gif

gaerveqavreq.gif

came out great. how heavy are they compared to regular plastic rims.

Heres some pics from the finished unit..

regergwrgwt4gtsr.gif

dsfqrewfqerf.gif

gaerveqavreq.gif

Lookin sweet bro....I guess you decided to take the Rock Rings one step further... lol
Be sure to let us know when there available...

SKIP said:

That's what I was looking for. I wanted to see where/how the bead was held in.

Thanks.

I don't have a need for 2.2 rims, but seeing your work is always nice.

Just curious why you didn't make something out of delrin/plastic for the aluminum piece instead of aluminum to try and keep costs down.

What kind of plastic are you using anyway?

BTW, my savage towers are holding up well... I just need softer springs.

wow, looking good. How much did your cnc machine cost?

redhatman said:
same thing i was thinking. hey skip you said if they are over a hundred your not selling them but would you make them for certain people.

Last edited:
redhatman said:

Thanks guys..

Its not a CNC... It is a maunual milling machine.. and I got a decent deal on it but it was worth it to me becasue I had all the tooling, rotory table, tilt table, endmills, drill bits, taps, reamers, ect... But shipped to my door it cost $2500

ok, i see. Those things are expensive, but I gues when your making things and selling them, its a nessecity (sp?)

how much would 2.2 nitro rustler rims cost from you?

As allways you come up with sweet parts skip. Keep up the great work ..

RUSTYFAN99 said:
how much would 2.2 nitro rustler rims cost from you?

I would only feel comfortable making nitro rims out of AL.. I can't offer my lifetime warrenty using delrin.. So that would be quite a bit more work, and I am getting $125 per set of these with your choice of width/backspacing/and design...

Did I mention these are air tight sealed rims.. I have a small valve coming so I can fill them up to what would be best.. Thats how good this seal is..

dfdfdfdfddf.gif

thats very cool. if you are still making them when i finish other things i might ask to buy a set. do you think they will hold enough air inside to float in water while mounted to a car?

dannyd said:
thats very cool. if you are still making them when i finish other things i might ask to buy a set. do you think they will hold enough air inside to float in water while mounted to a car?

Thats gonna depend on your tires size and how much air is in there. I have no doubt a kong has enough air to hold a truck up.. I used to drive my clod buster in my pool and that was with stock tires.. so I dont see why any tire would do it.. but the weight of the truck will determine if it floats also..

Back