LsT2 : Gold Head

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xucco.x8

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
ok, So i am gonna be trading this guy for my xbox360 for his Lst2 roller.

he has a gold head 247 on it but says it starts but dies, he mentions it may need to be sealed... I am fairly new to nitro and would like to know what engine would be best to bash around in the case this one is a gonner...or should i have it rebuilt...thanks

As long as your xbox works fine, I'd tell him to get to sealing and show you that it runs. It only takes about an hour to seal a nitro engine. Used engines are a crap shoot. You just never know how they were treated. Assume that it needs a new engine, adjust what you think the lst2 is worth with the cost of a new engine, then decide if the trade is worth while.

thx metalhead...ok, so lets say it needs a new engine and the roller is in descent shape...what do u think the value would be and how much $ am I looking at for an engine for this Lst2?

LST2 roller in stock form with or without electronics? Assuming with. What radio and servos? Stock FM with JR590M steering/570 t/b?

If it's in good shape and the engine runs, $250 max. $200 max without engine.

If it was a new roller off ebay (true roller without electronics/engine/pipe...), $250+.

Good engines for that rig are the following are typicals:
picco 28
LRP28 S3
LRP30 (but may cause 2 speed issues)

Dynamite big red would be a decent budget engine.

Losi 454 comes in the LST XL, supposed to be a clone of the LRP28, not sure if it's a clone of the Spec2 or Spec3 though. Can be found on ebay usually cheaper than retail.
ebay $139 shipped

I have 2 of the LRP28S3's. Good engines, but a bit thirsty. Long life, good power, a bit of a brute to break-in, but really comes alive after 10 tanks or so and really starts laying down the power at a gallon. I run one in an aftershock and another in a savage. I have a new picco 28 that I got for a song and couldn't pass it up just waiting patiently in the box.

Last edited:
no electrics, i'll post piks if i can (being a new member and all) when he sends them....thanks!

Then probably $150 is about all it's worth when used. Tis the nature of the hobby. My aftershock has pretty much sat on the shelf for 2 full years. I ran it once this year and 3 or 4 times last year. Has about $1000 into it. If I sold it, I wouldn't expect more than $300 out of it (minus the electronics), and that's with spare parts and a trusted engine. Would probably be fortunate to get $200 out of it. Which is why it sits on the shelf... Would rather own it for that kind of $.

I was probably still editing my post when you posted, so take a look again up above.

ok, I only have $110 into the xbox 360 I'll be trading (got that in a trade too)...so I think I will go ahead and trade...i do have a spare radio and electronics i can use...is there ample parts supply for the LsT2? and can I use an XTM 247 in the LsT2, my partner has one he is willing to give me.

The 247 is a bit on the weak side for that rig. I know for certain as I tried that engine in mine before I dropped it in a savage... then dropped it in a revo. The power output was pretty much the same as the stock engine that came in the aftershock, Losi M26SS (as that's what mine started life as). Decent engine for free, but not enough power to push the LST2 around that well. The gold head 427 wasn't really enough IMHO.

Depending on how bad the engine that's in it is, it may be worth trying it as it's not a bad engine. Not tons of power, but it will get the truck moving ok. If you ditch the high/low/reverse and install an FOC, it will do even better (less rotational mass). Get some smaller tires on it and it will be better yet.

When I first got my aftershock (14mm hex's), I threw on a set of old school t-maxx chevrons, an HPI polished pipe and did the gear flip mod (similar to adding about 2T to the stock bell). I could easily keep up with a couple guys I ran with that had stock LST2's. Between my lighter tires and less rotational mass in the drivetrain, mine was much more snappy than theirs off the line and could run neck and neck with them in the long runs.

Back