LST/AS shock oil weight for a basher? 45 w/yellow springs too much?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys. I'm just testing the field to see what would be a better setup for a basher like me. I'm running an aftershock with LST2 shocks, RPM arms, titanium main chassis and an aluminum 1/2 full under chassis skid for strength to tie the front to the center.

I've been running yellow springs this year and I like how it doesn't slap the ground so hard off larger jumps. But, even still, it does slap pretty hard and the front end will actually bounce up off the ground when the shocks recoil. I just switched out the shock oil with losi 45 weight. I believe stock is 30 weight. 45 may be a bit agressive, but my LHS didn't have more than one bottle of 40W, so I thought I'd give it try. Hopefully it will calm it down upon landing, but not so much that I bust off shock shafts... that would blow.

Anyone foresee any real durability issues running the heavier oil?

Thanks.

i am running 100wt in mine, but stock springs. i can tell a little difference in it, but i am upgrading the springs soon.

An LST? That seems silly thick! What brand of oil? Is there any left in the shocks? Broken any shafts?

I've got yellow springs, but they're not the stock 26 coil. They're the heavy duty 16 coil. Sorry, but I bought so many upgrades at the same time that I can't recall where I got them.
Just thought I'd let you know that there are some heavy weights available, especially since my Savage is about 6 lbs heavier than stock.

I've found in racing that heavier shock oil and lighter springs is a good combo. I'm not sure what I'm running as its been a while since i last tinkered with my shocks (a long while) the basic idea I've gotten out of it is the heavier the spring, the more it will bounce on landing, but the heavier the oil the less it will smash the whole truck into the ground. go too heavy on the oil, however, and you get the same effect as to heavy of a spring, but with a lot of broken bits and peices.

And if I'm completely off my rocker and none of this is true, sombody slap me and disregard what i said.

as far as your problem of the front still bouncing, try a lighter spring in the front. somthing with a little less snap to it.

Back