Low speed needle.... problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engstrom0304

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys,
I have a Hong Nor Force 28 engine... The manual says:

1. Close the main needle (which I assume is the high speed needle) all the way and then open 3 turns.

2. Close the throttle all the way, adjusted ventilation gap is 1mm wide. (I adjusted this with the idle screw).

3. Close the supply needle valve all the way (I assume this is the low speed needle which is at the end of the bellows?) then open 2 1/2 turns. (I tried doing this using 360 degrees as 1 turn and did 2 1/2 turns, but then the throttle doesn't seem to work and the air gap is stuck at the 1mm... What is wrong here? The screw seems to take loads of turns to be all the way in.)

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I have a Hong Nor Force 28 engine... The manual says:

1. Close the main needle (which I assume is the high speed needle) all the way and then open 3 turns.

2. Close the throttle all the way, adjusted ventilation gap is 1mm wide. (I adjusted this with the idle screw).

3. Close the supply needle valve all the way (I assume this is the low speed needle which is at the end of the bellows?) then open 2 1/2 turns. (I tried doing this using 360 degrees as 1 turn and did 2 1/2 turns, but then the throttle doesn't seem to work and the air gap is stuck at the 1mm... What is wrong here? The screw seems to take loads of turns to be all the way in.)

ok here is a diagram with every thing labeled
CarbDiagram2.jpg

set the high speed needle so its flush with the top of the brass fitting
set the low speed needle so its flush in its fitting ( or about 1 turn in from flush )
set the idle gap around 1mm then adjust it once the engine is started
( ignore the mid range needle as not all carbs have them and your engine wont have one )

that should allow you to get it started

I'm finding that the car is too fast when i leave the radio untouched and I need to keep the brake on... What needs changing?

Last edited:
well first take off the air filter and look down the hole... you should only be able to see .75mm (a credit card thickness) on the left (or is it the right?) when the thing is at idle and under braking power. the rest should just be an aluminuim bar blocking the hole. if its wider than that then you need to set your idle screw till its at that location this should be done before anything else... after this if the problem isnt resolved move on to the HSN and adjust accordingly... see the tuning bible for more information on adjusting the hsn and lsn

oh also check your radio settings when i bought my first nitro it screamed without me even touching the throttle... turned out to be the radio was set in reverse setting meaning it races unless the user is squeezing the trigger (a bit ridiculous but thats the way it was)
but it does sound like your idle is too wide stare down the carb hole while firing it up and observe what happens.

Last edited:
I'm finding that the car is too fast on idle and I need to keep the brake on... What needs changing?

if its to fast on idle you need to turn the idle screw anti clock wise to make the idle gap smaller do this slowly so you dont over do it

if its to fast on idle you need to turn the idle screw anti clock wise to make the idle gap smaller do this slowly so you dont over do it

Ok, If I turn the HSN anticlockwise that will make it richer? What will this achieve? And how should the LSN be adjusted? The idle screw is already quite far out.

How can i stop it cutting out when I brake? Would it be a case of me turn the idle screw a bit far?

Last edited:
Yes counter clockwise will make it richer and it will supply more fuel to the motor. and lsn usually isnt messed with until hsn is tuned. but in your case if your idle gap is set right and its still idling very fast you may need to rich up lsn some to bring it down.

With the motor not running take your filter off and look at the gap in your barrel set it to where u could put the end of a paper clip in. apply the brakes if the gap closes turn the idle screw clockwise till the barrel doesn't close any when u apply the brake

Now if it is still at a high idle richen you lsn some and see if it brings the idle down.

also check out this link i think it will help you out
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60832#flowchart

Ok, If I turn the HSN anticlockwise that will make it richer? What will this achieve? And how should the LSN be adjusted? The idle screw is already quite far out.

How can i stop it cutting out when I brake? Would it be a case of me turn the idle screw a bit far?

Turn on the vehicle, turn on the transmitter
Take off your servo arm
Push the low speed needle side closed, put back on the arm while still having the LSN push closed, that should fix IT. In others words at neutral the servo arm should have the LSN setting closed. Also the transmitter throttle trim should be set to cero.