Loud clicking sound

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepaw18

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello! Ok I'm still new at all this RC mechanics. I have a Arrma Vorteks 3s and I have a clicking sound coming from the driveshaft area. Sounds like right where the slipper shaft goes into the slipper set. I had notice this right out of the box new. Just a small sound and was told that was normal. So yesterday I bought a set of Duratrax Lockup ST Belted 2.8. Once I had put them on and started to bash. I noticed a extremly louder sound coming from the same area when I started driving it around. Nothing got hot or overheated. I hope the video helps and not my best work. Thanks for any help!!
https://photos.google.com/u/2/photo/AF1QipPZXslqAS9YgpTcW34jkBd7bC_59_XM7Zb6X14s
https://photos.google.com/u/2/photo/AF1QipPZXslqAS9YgpTcW34jkBd7bC_59_XM7Zb6X14s

Hello! Ok I'm still new at all this RC mechanics. I have a Arrma Vorteks 3s and I have a clicking sound coming from the driveshaft area. Sounds like right where the slipper shaft goes into the slipper set. I had notice this right out of the box new. Just a small sound and was told that was normal. So yesterday I bought a set of Duratrax Lockup ST Belted 2.8. Once I had put them on and started to bash. I noticed a extremly louder sound coming from the same area when I started driving it around. Nothing got hot or overheated. I hope the video helps and not my best work. Thanks for any help!!
The link doesn't work.

Look around any moving parts like driveshafts for something interfering with the rotation. Sometimes an edge if plastic, a stick, rock, or whatever can come in contact in hard to find places. If you put a vid on YT and post here, we can maybe have some better ideas what it might be.

Ok i have changed the privacy. Thanks for the help and crossed fingers.

Ok i have changed the privacy. Thanks for the help and crossed fingers.
I dont have that exact kit so its hard for me to say. Some kits I have make loud clicks like that when turning the driveshaft like you are doing, others are quieter. The fact that it feels like its binding a bit in the one spot is worrisome. If you want to find out for sure whether thats a normal sound or not I would tear down the transmission and if no issues there then Id also tear down the rear diff and inspect everything. If nothing there check the rest of the driveline. If you can't find any damaged gears or obvious issues then Id say its normal. Thats my best guess, hope that helps.

That sounds horrible. Have you taken the motor module out and inspected the spur?

That sounds horrible. Have you taken the motor module out and inspected the spur?
I have not yet. With this being my first RC. I have a few things to get before I tear it down. That way i can change and fix at the same time. Going to change diff oil in front and rear. Make sure they are in good shape. also going to put a 16T pinion gear in as well. Then if the spur gear needs change I will do so. Some plan in place from others I have talked with. Thanks

Definitely take the motor module out to check gear mesh and pinion and spur. You can remove it in a minute or two very easy to do. My 3s arrmas make that sound when I do what you did in the video. But when driving it’s just some normal gear noise.

Definitely take the motor module out to check gear mesh and pinion and spur. You can remove it in a minute or two very easy to do. My 3s arrmas make that sound when I do what you did in the video. But when driving it’s just some normal gear noise.
I agree it was easy to take out. Yes the noise when driving it out of the box. Did just seem normal when driving.

Back