Loud clicking on stop losi lasernut

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katonc

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I just installed teckno driveshafts in the rear dif. Since then. When I drive and then stop there is a loud click. What might cause this? I assume something locking in place?
Also I think I have grinding in the center dif. Might be worn down like many lasernuts. Any help on the loud click on stop would be appreciated.
Loud click- video here

Realizing now. The loud click on stop isn’t coming through very well in the video.

It seems fine to me. Just drive it until you break it and then you return stock :)

Haha I could. It’s just really driving me nuts how loud the click is when I break hard. Wasn’t there before.
Might need to take the rear dif apart.

I can't hear the click on the video. Everything that I see and hear in the video looks/sounds normal to me.

Yeah maybe it’s ok. But it’s very loud and new. Tried to get the sound from the back. The click that happens on break is much louder in person.
Link to a new video here

Last edited:
Ok. So I just removed the rear drive shafts to see if it made the sound with them out. And it doesn’t. So there is something about those shafts that click and lock hard when I stop hard. So I’m going to assume it’s ok and just the metal on metal there. It has new couplings and drive shafts. So I think I’m good?

Ok. So I just removed the rear drive shafts to see if it made the sound with them out. And it doesn’t. So there is something about those shafts that click and lock hard when I stop hard. So I’m going to assume it’s ok and just the metal on metal there. It has new couplings and drive shafts. So I think I’m good?
Do you have any play in the driveshafts, like end-to-end play? What you can do is drop a small o-ring in the cup at the axle to keep the driveshaft from rattling. That may be what you have there.

I would also check your pinion grub screw and make sure it is seated on the flat of the motor shaft. If not it can slip on the shaft and it will make a very similar noise when starting and stopping. Not likely the case here though.

Where exactly is the pinion I would check that on? That’s in the center gears right? I’ve never checked or messed with that before. So maybe it is it.

There isn’t a lot of play on the drive shafts. Very little actually, seems just like stock.

The pinion gear is the gear attached to the motor shaft.

As for the video, I hear what you're talking about but I can't say what that might be or if its even a real problem. If it just started happening with the installation of the new drive shafts its most likely a sound being made by them somehow. Were any other changes made besides the shafts when you started hearing this?

The pinion gear is the gear attached to the motor shaft.

As for the video, I hear what you're talking about but I can't say what that might be or if its even a real problem. If it just started happening with the installation of the new drive shafts its most likely a sound being made by them somehow. Were any other changes made besides the shafts when you started hearing this?
I did have to replace the differential outdrives back there. Maybe those are causing the sound. The sound does stop when I remove the shafts but then those wouldn’t be putting pressure on the outdrives.

It sounds to me like something is wrong in the diff - like gears are not meshing properly. I don't have a Lasernut, so not familiar with the rear diff. But I would check the pinion to ring gear set-up. Or inside the diff, are the spider gears in place properly, or is the diff case not seated in place properly allowing the gear to slip past each other. With the axles removed, you do not have the weight / torque of the wheels against the drivetrain.

It sounds to me like something is wrong in the diff - like gears are not meshing properly. I don't have a Lasernut, so not familiar with the rear diff. But I would check the pinion to ring gear set-up. Or inside the diff, are the spider gears in place properly, or is the diff case not seated in place properly allowing the gear to slip past each other. With the axles removed, you do not have the weight / torque of the wheels against the drivetrain.
Yeah. I’ll take it apart and look. Was avoiding it but probably should.

Finally had time to take apart the rear dif. All looked well, at least to the best of my ability and I then put it back together.
Still getting the same sound. Might just live with it even though I hate it. Might have to do with the larger rear drive shafts and outdrives. Anyway. Not sure at this point. I might take it into a shop and see if they have some ideas.

Finally had time to take apart the rear dif. All looked well, at least to the best of my ability and I then put it back together.
Still getting the same sound. Might just live with it even though I hate it. Might have to do with the larger rear drive shafts and outdrives. Anyway. Not sure at this point. I might take it into a shop and see if they have some ideas.
If it works, Id just drive it. If it breaks then at least you'll know what the issue was. :2cents:

Yeah I’ll drive it. Just hate that sound! Haha hard to let it go when before it was not there.
But yeah worst case I break a part and figure it out.

Have you tried running it at a lower speed to see if you can tell where the noise is coming from?

Only happens with more force. Lower speeds it doesn’t do much. It’s coming from the rear dif for sure.
I can check the center to make sure though.
But it’s probably from me changing out the rear drive shafts and out drives. I did something when I did that.

I've never really had diff issues in my RC life time ,that being said ,I dont have any real
advice on that other than checking to see if it is shimmed right ,checking if you have
the right gear mesh on the spider gears ,but I can tell you that back in the day that
racers would change the spider gears from 2 to 4 gear set ups!
So I what I can hear is some kind of cogging in the mesh ,make sure that there is
no slop in the mesh of the gears an make sure that they are also not too tight
against each other!..:thumbs-up:

The only experience with with with different tools is I had to swap out my Axle or housing on my RC