Lost control of truck today

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bighomedog11

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Today I was messing around with my Tmaxx in my yard and all of a sudden it just takes off and full throttle and i am not able to stop or turn the Maxx. Luckily it hit a bush and flipped over and cutt off, So i check it out and i notice the black wire on the battery box was disconnect. So i got to solder that back on, But what maybe could of cause this?

I put fresh battery's in there before.

the radio could have lost connection. I was in my drive way starting my truck took off(this was truck made in 1999 the radio is the same) was at the corner and 2 kids came driving past in peddle cars and it almost hit them. missed them hit a tree and it cut off. how old is your tmaxx?

If the wire was broken that is what caused it and the only way to fix that kind of runaway is to put a throttle return spring on. A failsafe is always a good idea and will prevent a runaway due to loss of signal and LOW battery but if you lose all power (broken wire) the failsafe will not have any power to do it's job. With a throttle return spring, if you lose all power it will close the carb and apply brakes depending on how tight it is.

the radio could have lost connection. I was in my drive way starting my truck took off(this was truck made in 1999 the radio is the same) was at the corner and 2 kids came driving past in peddle cars and it almost hit them. missed them hit a tree and it cut off. how old is your tmaxx?
It is one of the older Maxx's But not sure how old it is
If the wire was broken that is what caused it and the only way to fix that kind of runaway is to put a throttle return spring on. A failsafe is always a good idea and will prevent a runaway due to loss of signal and LOW battery but if you lose all power (broken wire) the failsafe will not have any power to do it's job. With a throttle return spring, if you lose all power it will close the carb and apply brakes depending on how tight it is.
Oh Really, I need to figure out how to put a throttle return spring on there then.. Is it hard to do?

I am going to re-solder the battery wire on there later today

Nope, pretty easy. You just need to find a solid place on the truck to attach the "anchor" end to and then just attach the other end to the throttle linkage so that when the servo is turned off the spring will close the carb. 4056 is the traxxas part # for the return spring, what color transmission case do you have? If it's gray, I believe it has a mounting point on the case, I'm not sure about the black one. You may have to put another one of the collars on the linkage so that you can adjust the tension on the spring, if it was my truck I would set the tension tight enough to apply the brakes.

How hard is it to install a failsafe? Just simple plug in conection or what?

Nope, pretty easy. You just need to find a solid place on the truck to attach the "anchor" end to and then just attach the other end to the throttle linkage so that when the servo is turned off the spring will close the carb. 4056 is the traxxas part # for the return spring, what color transmission case do you have? If it's gray, I believe it has a mounting point on the case, I'm not sure about the black one. You may have to put another one of the collars on the linkage so that you can adjust the tension on the spring, if it was my truck I would set the tension tight enough to apply the brakes.

I have the black tranny case. Is there any pictures of it done? I think i understand how its done.. Basically just make the spring be able to close the carb and apply brakes when the engine is off.

But doing this will this effect the idle or anything?

Unless you have a very good throttle servo you really don’t want the throttle return spring to apply brakes, it just needs to return the throttle to idle.
Its easy to test, just adjust the spring to where when you turn off the receiver power the spring pulls the throttle back to the idle gap.

When adjusted correctly nothing is effected.

Unless you have a very good throttle servo you really don’t want the throttle return spring to apply brakes, it just needs to return the throttle to idle.
Its easy to test, just adjust the spring to where when you turn off the receiver power the spring pulls the throttle back to the idle gap.

When adjusted correctly nothing is effected.

Alright, I am going to go my LHS and pick up some.. I am just confused on were they go on the Maxx.. I have the black tranny and picture would really help me out and explain it.

What I did is warped one end around the hsn and the other end on the ball clip on the carb linkage. If I knew how to post pictures I would show you

What I did is warped one end around the hsn and the other end on the ball clip on the carb linkage. If I knew how to post pictures I would show you

Alright, I seen a view different ways..

All you got to do is just upload the picture to photobucket or imageshack.us then post the link in the thread.

Ok let's see if this works, my servo is mounted in a different spot then what yours is but the concept is the same let me know if this helps, thanks
for the info on posting picts.
IMAG0151.gif

---------- Post added at 6:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 6:16 AM ----------

And one more
IMAG0155.gif

How hard is it to install a failsafe? Just simple plug in conection or what?

Unplug the throttle servo from the RX & plug in the FS, then plug the throttle servo into the FS.

Really tho if your gonna spend $20~$25 on a FS, you could Ebay a 2.4ghz radio for $40~$50, most all have a built in FS+ they are 2.4ghz.

I have the black tranny case. Is there any pictures of it done? I think i understand how its done.. Basically just make the spring be able to close the carb and apply brakes when the engine is off.

But doing this will this effect the idle or anything?

The TRS spring just pulls a dead servo back to the idle position, it does not pull it to the brake position.

023-1.jpg

024.jpg

---------- Post added at 7:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 6:56 AM ----------

Ok let's see if this works, my servo is mounted in a different spot then what yours is but the concept is the same let me know if this helps

I would not hook the other end of the TRS on the HSN as the carb bodies are weak in that area.

I know, but I have a spring that goes on a hpi, the spring is much longer and the way I have it set up it only applies a very small amount of tension at wot but enough tension to close the carb, and I'm looking for any excuses to blow up this TRX so I get a pico .28, so its not not all that bad.:D

Thanks for the pictures, I am going to go to my local hobby shop and pick up a return spring and install it.. I think it will really help me out just in case anything like that happens again.. I got lucky i didn't hit nothing or break anything.

The guy at my LHS said the 2.5 black tranny the springs wont work on it. He told me to use hair rubber bands to close the carb.

Nitro showed you how its done just duplicate the pict he sent you its not that hard

on the revo the servo pushes the spring out. and in turn pivots and pulls the carb. the spring is inline with the servo bar.

78e09b1b.jpg

Back