Losi XXL

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zomg85

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Sorry I'm new to forums(and nitro really). I just ordered the XXL after 2 weeks of researching what to get next. I know everyone says to get a GPM engine brace and New Era roll bar(out of stock so I sent an email) with the truck. I was just curious is the engine brace really necessary? Will I ruin my new toy or engine if I don't install one before driving it? Thanks

Sorry I'm new to forums(and nitro really). I just ordered the XXL after 2 weeks of researching what to get next. I know everyone says to get a GPM engine brace and New Era roll bar(out of stock so I sent an email) with the truck. I was just curious is the engine brace really necessary? Will I ruin my new toy or engine if I don't install one before driving it? Thanks

believe me(and the rest). This upgrade is a must have..otherwise, lots of misalignment (ie CVDs, CB-tranny gears etc...this will create another problem for you) may happenings in landings/bad landings due to extra/over chassis flexing or even chassis bend if the stock engine brace breaks or cracks - and the stock one can crack/breaks very easily.....you wont regret this upgrade.

It's a good upgrade, but it is definitely NOT a requirement before your first run. First thing to do is THREAD LOCK YOUR SCREWS, main ones are on the drive lines, but make sure some is on every metal to metal screw. Then focus on doing a good break in of the engine. Check your carb settings, and right them down (don't lose them like I did), the ones in the book are way too lean. Chances are it'll come WAY too rich from the factory, mine wouldn't even think about starting until I leaned it slightly. Now every engine is different, so yours may be good.

This will all be new to me and can't wait to learn how to work on it. Is the manual pretty easy to understand when it comes to breaking down the truck and putting everything back together? Ill be getting the XXL on the 14th, probably won't have anytime to work on it until the 17th. I currently have a Nitro Stampede that I've only ran a dozen times. Quickly wanted something bigger and meaner. The significant other wanted to get a cheapo electric car just to run with me. I used that as my excuse to purchase the XXL. I sure hope she loves the Pede and the hobby! Thanks again guys!

Sorry do I only need the GPM Sku-LST1016A, or do I need the LST1080 as well?

Just the 1016A, if you WANTED a different engine mount, look at LOSB5031, it's finned so it'll help cool the engine (in theory, haven't run mine yet).

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

Here's my thread about my XXL, you can read through it for some useful tips and ideas.

2013-02-12214555_zpsfbf19f45.gif

The roll bar is a must have, but good luck finding one. I've beat my XXL pretty hard without having any other kind of brace.

I would invest in a good clutch like the M2C 4 shoe, and get a spare slipper, owb, and spur assembly off ebay. I had a hard time getting my 2 speed and slipper set just right, and I also burned up the stock clutch in the process. If the slipper slips too much it'll throw itself right into 2nd gear and you'll be chasing the settings constantly.

---------- Post added at 8:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:46 AM ----------

My XXl was already threadlocked.

I wouldnt say the engine brace is a must especially at first but eventually everyone seems to break them. I will warn you though that after market aluminum parts are drying up for the XXL/LST2 but its not stopping me. The XXL IMO is the best MT out there so I'm not giving my nitro or my electric one up. Heres a list of hop ups I would get in order of importance (at least IMO) but I dont upgrade anything until its broken

1) RPM A-Arms (at least for the front I might do this straight away but the back doesn't brake that often for me)
2) Lunsford Titanium Turnbuckles
3) Aluminum Steering knuckles (good luck finding these....I've been searching for months no one makes them anymore)

After this point the hopups arent in any particular order just ones that I would do as they brake.

4) Aluminum Bell crank
5) BAC steering link
6) Aluminum Chassis Brace
7) Aluminum Shock Towers (GPM or FLM my first pick but Hot Racing is ok if you can't find the others)
8) TiNi Shock Shafts.

Alot of people swear by the Rollcage. I've never used one I just make sure I run with my body on as much as possible.

Thanks guys. I got it sooner then expected. Some guy decided not to buy the last one so I picked it up today. Hope I'm uploading this correctly!

2943A19C-A8E5-47A2-B22D-0A2D272362C5-943-00000116D63D9546.jpg

So I ran to RadioShack for the receiver battery pack charger only to find out they don't have one. Looks like Ill be waiting for my LHS to open Monday :-/

Last edited:
hmmmm i guess that was just the lst2 then. cuz it came with one.

There's no charger with the XXL, just the starter. It's not too hard to adapt to the battery, but you'll need the correct wire.

Bought a Dynamite Prophet Sport 2 charger. Got home and it wouldn't fit the battery. Another trip to the LHS, the owner called Losi. Turns out needs an adapter so he ordered it free of charge. Should be here Thursday.

Another thing. I'm a noob with tuning. Have had very little experience. I have read both good and bad about tuning the 454. How has it been for you guys? Easily tuned and hardly needs adjusting or the opposite?

Had some free time today so I tried to preform break in. Which was a bad idea bc it's pretty cold out. Tried my best playing with the needle settings, a hair dryer, and a sock over the head but couldn't get it over 170 degrees so I had to quit. Hopefully it'll warm up soon :-/

Back