Losi Scaler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losicrawler

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm wanting to build a scaler, i've been considering using the comp crawler worm axles so it can be a parts truck for my LCC, how well do you think this truck will preform, also what would be a good chassis using these axles

Most scale builds start with a body, this way you know what your wheelbase needs to be...Do you know which body you want to use? how wide are those axles without the wheels?

seems strange to use a worm gear axle for a scaler build. You don't see those out on the trail.

Like smaxxin said, start with a body so you know the dimensions of your build.

There are several chassis's out there to use. The easiest would be the scx10 frame kit.

personally i think the losi axles look like crap for anything "scale" id go with some axial axles, or wheelie king axles. something along those lines.

personally i think the losi axles look like crap for anything "scale" id go with some axial axles, or wheelie king axles. something along those lines.

x2 for sure. They would kill it completely in the scale category.

rockwells are worms, and i plan on using a taminiya bronco body, and i'm sticking with losi axles for a few reasons. First i've got two sitting on my bench. Second they double as parts axles for my LCC MOA. And not very many people have done a losi scaler and i want to be different.

rockwells are worms, and i plan on using a taminiya bronco body, and i'm sticking with losi axles for a few reasons. First i've got two sitting on my bench. Second they double as parts axles for my LCC MOA. And not very many people have done a losi scaler and i want to be different.

Well then different it sounds like you will be, LOL!!!! It will be interesting to see how well it works as a scaler with worm drive axles, are you going to use a LCC tranny as well?

You ask opinions of guys that have either done a few of these, or have been doing them for a while, then when you get the same advice from everyone, you shun it...... If you want to build a nice looking SCALER, then you need to go with some different axles. If you want to go with a crawler with a big body on it, take the route you are going now. Keep the LRC chassis, and throw a bronco body on top.

1. no they aren't. I believe it is a ring and pinion that turns an intermediate gear which then turns the bull gear.
2. Losi axles look nothing like rockwells

Last edited:
No offense bro but if your "sticking with losi's" then why did you ask our opinions of them? They will perform ok yes but I think they will look bad.

A scx chassis or xtrail would be a good chassis.

Last edited:
I didn't ask how scale they'll be i asked how well will they preform if you guys thought this bad about them why didn't you tell me 2 weeks ago when i first posted, i just spent $120 on axles and i'm gonna keep them and use them i already have a comp crawler i don't want two. Now any suggestions on the chassis

Axial SCX-10 chassis are a really good place to start for a scaler.

I didn't ask how scale they'll be i asked how well will they preform if you guys thought this bad about them why didn't you tell me 2 weeks ago when i first posted, i just spent $120 on axles and i'm gonna keep them and use them i already have a comp crawler i don't want two. Now any suggestions on the chassis

Ididnt think you were serious, I figured you were trying to get your post count up since you have the same thread on rcc.

Last edited:
Ididnt think you were serious, I figured you were trying to get your post count up since you have the same thread on rcc.

I wanted different opinions because i know everyone on here isn't on rcc. As of right now i could care less about # of posts i got nothing to sell i've sold it all on rcc, and my threads on rcc i've got neutral and postive opinions on rcc so i bought losi axles now after i put a few ? marks up on here i get a bunch of negativity towards LCC axles after i've already bought them.

Now i've gotten a few replys saying the scx-10 chassis are their any other alternatives, how hard would it be to make a custom chassis. Then i've also been considering the taminiya f-350 off of the high lift so i've got something a little bit bigger to work with on my first scaler. Would this change any opinions on chassis. And for you worm haters i'll probably eventually put some high dollar rc4wd metal ones underneath it but right now i'm on a budget

The scx is definatly nice. The x trail from TCS is a good chassis too, just not as nice as the scx.

i wouldnt do the tamiya high-lift kit. I built one, and scrapped it. All i have left of it is the body, and the shocks. For a first scaler, depending on what you wana do with it, (crawl, bash,scale trail, mud) I still say the SCX kit. I just got a Tamiya CC-01 kit that i LOVE. Think maybe something around that route. Full kit minus a servo, and radio gear for like $175.

i get a bunch of negativity towards LCC axles after i've already bought them.

The only negativity you are hearing is about them being used as scaler axles. As far as an axle goes, they are fine and lots of people run them, they just do not look like any commonly used 1:1 axle. (Thats the idea behind a scaler)
Furthermore, you showed your hind end when you acted like you knew something you didn't.

You haven't told us your skill and experience level either. If you have the resources to build a chassis then by all means build one. The SCX frame kit is the most user friendly. There are plenty of other ones to choose from. There is the K2 series, some RC4WD junk and several other ones that can be found all over the web.

The scx is definatly nice. The x trail from TCS is a good chassis too, just not as nice as the scx.
cool thanks thats what i've been wanting to know

i wouldnt do the tamiya high-lift kit. I built one, and scrapped it. All i have left of it is the body, and the shocks. For a first scaler, depending on what you wana do with it, (crawl, bash,scale trail, mud) I still say the SCX kit. I just got a Tamiya CC-01 kit that i LOVE. Think maybe something around that route. Full kit minus a servo, and radio gear for like $175.

Sorry, i meant i was just going to buy the body, i looked at the chassis off of it and it looks like walmart trash

Furthermore, you showed your hind end when you acted like you knew something you didn't.

You haven't told us your skill and experience level either. If you have the resources to build a chassis then by all means build one. The SCX frame kit is the most user friendly. There are plenty of other ones to choose from. There is the K2 series, some RC4WD junk and several other ones that can be found all over the web.

Only thing i mentioned is the rockwells and i said that cause i was told that they were and they kinda look like they could be. my skill and experience in 2.2 compers is average i know quite abit i usually place at local comps if the cvd's don't break.. And yea i have the resources to make the chassis but how much does suspension geometry matter on these guys. I thought the rc4wd was supposed to be like the ultimate scaler website