Losi Muggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkymx140

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Just bought a team losi muggy... planning to learn and try to race with it? Any tips or advice for me? Anyone have any reviews on the muggy? I new to the whole thing so any advice for me to get started will help! thanks!

Wish you had asked us before you bought it. They are too heavy, overgeared and lack the necessary tuning options needed for racing.The steering rack wears out and gets sloppy in one hour of use. I could not keep a clutch or clutchbell in it for nothing. It constantly ate CB's and bearings every 1/2 gallon.
I have been into nitro for a long time, the Muggy was a pain.
The only good news I can give you is Horizon Hobby will bend over backwards giving you replacement parts for it for free.

Wish you had asked us before you bought it. They are too heavy, overgeared and lack the necessary tuning options needed for racing.The steering rack wears out and gets sloppy in one hour of use. I could not keep a clutch or clutchbell in it for nothing. It constantly ate CB's and bearings every 1/2 gallon.
I have been into nitro for a long time, the Muggy was a pain.
The only good news I can give you is Horizon Hobby will bend over backwards giving you replacement parts for it for free.

Well... i bought it to just really learn on... hopefully it will hold up for that... Kinda just to get my feet wet... When i do decide to race which truggy would be a good one to get into for a beginner?

Look into the Associated RC8T or the Losi 8ightT when you are ready to step up.

Normally I am a HUGE fan of anything Losi but in this case Scrogg is right on the money with his advice. The Muggy is one rig that they should have given a lot more thought to...

Last edited:
The RC8T, Mugen, Kyosho Truggies are awesome. The Jammin X2 is too. All are quite expensive though. I have my first real race truggy, a Jammin' X1 CRT pro. I bought it as a roller off E-Bay for 180 and could not be happier. Very durable truck. it gives me no problems. I slapped an engine and Radio I already had in it bought some good servos for about 150 bucks and i was off!
Is it new? Have you ran it? Trade it in for a Losi 8-T, another excellent truggy.
The first thing you should do if you have to keep it is sell the tires and wheel hexes. They are a big source of the stress on the truck.
A set of LPR crimefighters from proline will help it tons. You have to get the 17mm hex conversion though. About 110 bucks total if you shop around.

Last edited:
So i should go ahead and order 17mm adapter kit and wheels and tires? Do i just look for a set of wheels that would fit a losi 8ight?

Those will do fine. You don't need 1/2" offfset wheels though, Losi 8T wheels are 1/2" offset . 0 offset will be fine and put less stress on the car when you wreck it.
Pick up some crimefighters and zero offset wheels.
This is the best deal I have found on race tires/wheels.
I have bought quite a few things from this guy. He ships really fast!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Line-Crime-...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

you can race the muggy just get a set of 17mm rims and a set of pro line tires or what ever your favorite choice of tire is just get rid of them huge tires plus your gonna wanna disassemble the diffs and put silicon diff fluid in them i got 5-7-5 f-c-r and also get a set of vented clutch bells like a 13t or a 12t and a set of dynamite clutch shoes there called max life clutch shoes because them alumnium shoes just eat the clutch bell and basically shred them selves and also get rid of the dual sterring servo and replace it with a good top of the line servo I'm running a jr z9100t it works just great i raced my muggy over the summer prolly 7-8 times and i won 3 times i was racing against jammin truggys and a couple of losi 8ts and some other brands of truggy and i had a lot of people compliment me on how well it drives but it dose take a while to learn to drive this thing but once you get the hang of it you can get the thing screaming around the track

You must be a really good driver or everyone else sucks. Take it as a compliment and a joke, nothing more. Most truggy races come down to who's truck stays put together for the whole main. I did the same for a steering setup and clutch.

well a couple of the guys did suck but a couple of the guys that i raced with had flamed out and some of them broke but happy to say that i have never flamed out in the last 2 years of nitro racing and i havent broke anything on the muggy too major the only thing i broke was the rear bumber which is no big deal but after every race day the truck gets stripped down completly and cleaned and i always make sure my poop is maintained

i think its going to be a perfect first truggy to learn with i had one i bought for parts for my LST2 but i ran it a bit and raced it once it will do you just fine sure its a little heavy and not as twitchy but your going to keep it in the pipes easier then get a better one next year

i think its going to be a perfect first truggy to learn with i had one i bought for parts for my LST2 but i ran it a bit and raced it once it will do you just fine sure its a little heavy and not as twitchy but your going to keep it in the pipes easier then get a better one next year

I'm planing on getting a better one to like the new d8t which comes out in 5 days or a jammin crt x1 or x2 if the price is right i drov one over the summer and i really like it

i like my muggy but i can't get the carb set up.its like it is flooding.i set the carb to factory setting but darn thang runs like crap.but today it started but still ritch as it could be.that is the odest thang I've ever sean.i have no one to tell me how to adjust the thing,the instructions only help so much.now when i put aply the brake the motor dies.

Last edited:
Firstly, factory settings pretty much always means pig rich. You need to lean that sucker to get it running right.

Start with the HSN. Lean it one hour then do a few high speed passes, and lean it an hour more. Repeat until you see little smoke and you can hear the engine sound like it's starving for fuel. Back of the HSN a few hours just to make sure it don't run to lean.

LSN tuning. When the truck is up to temp and idling, pinch the fuel line about an inch before the carb. The engine should die in 3-5 seconds and increase idle speed very slightly before shutting off. If it takes longer and raises the idle dramatically, the LSN needs to be leaned some more. If it dies very quickly and without raising the idle, the LSN needs to be richened.

But before all that you need to set you idle gap. It should be around 1mm. Take of the airfilter and look down the carb throat. It should be no more than 1mm. Right now you have your idle speed set with the radio, and it's closing the idle further down every time you brake the car. Remove throttle linkage, hold the carb closed and adjust the idle screw on the side of the carb.

thank you for the info.how do i know how much is a mm.on the idale setting.

Find something you can measure to a mm and eyeball it from there.

thats jus wat i do is just eyeball it and it seems to work fine

Back