Losi monster rock Rey

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadpool

RC Newbie
Reaction score
my son got a rock Rey monster drink edition for his bday. I’ve had the battery on the little block charger for hours, but it’s showing no charge. I can get alight meter to somewhat glow on the battery, but not on the usb charger. Is this a common problem? Should I order a new charger?

my son got a rock Rey monster drink edition for his bday. I’ve had the battery on the little block charger for hours, but it’s showing no charge. I can get alight meter to somewhat glow on the battery, but not on the usb charger. Is this a common problem? Should I order a new charger?
What battery and charger are you using? Got a pic of it hooked up to the charger?

Found a video and it says if light stays red then it’s a bad cell. Bummer since it’s brand new. I ordered a charger and battery off of Amazon. I bought the same battery, but if there is a better Rec I'm all for it.

4ADE2468-E300-4E04-9FAE-81FA09B70000.jpeg

Found a video and it says if light stays red then it’s a bad cell. Bummer since it’s brand new. I ordered a charger and battery off of Amazon. I bought the same battery, but if there is a better Rec I'm all for it.

View attachment 151874
If that is a new battery, Horizon will warranty it.

Those spektrum lipos are over priced for what they are. Id get either Liperior, CNHL Turnigy, or Zippy Compact LiPos and Id get a Hitec X2 AC Plus Lipo charger.

For what it's worth, I was comparing specs and features, and I like the Hota a lot better than the X2.

The Hota has a smaller footprint, better discharge for faster balancing, a lot more input voltage capability, and some other specs that make it the better choice. Plus I like the menu and controls on the Hota much better than the menu and controls on the X2. The Hota also uses the same UI as the ISDT line, which is a lot more user friendly.

Does the X2 have the ability to discharge externally? I can't find out anything about that. And does it have a USB out for powering other devices?

The X2 does come with cables though, where the Hota you have to supply your own. So there is that. But even with that, and if the X2 were the cheaper option, I'd still buy the Hota, just because the specs are a lot better.

And most won't find it useful, but I also love the fact that I can charge my phone wirelessly on the Hota while sitting at my bench. Just a cool little bonus feature 😉

X2 specs:
AC Input: 100-240 Volts AC
DC Input: 11-18 Volts DC
Total Charge Circuit Power: 100 Watts AC Input / 200 Watts DC Input
DC Output Power: 10-100 Watts

Charge Current Range: 0.1 - 10.0 Amps x 2
Discharge Current Range: 0.1 - 2.0 Amps x 2
Discharge Current Power: 10 Watts x 2
Current Drain for LiPo Balancing: 300mA per Cell
NiCd/NiMH Battery Cell Count: 1 - 15 Cells
Capacity Range: 100 - 50000mAh
LiPo/LiHV/LiFe/Lilon Cell Count: 1 - 6 Cells
Pb Battery Voltage: 2 - 20 Volts
Dimensions: 7.24 x 5.74 x 2.75 in. (184 x 146 x 70mm)
Weight: 2.85 lbs. (1293g)

Hota specs:
  • Model NO.: D6 Pro
  • Input Voltage: AC100~240V / DC 6.5~30V
  • Charge Current: 0.1~15A * 2
  • Charge Power:
    • DC 325W * 2(650W)
    • AC 200W(Support power distribution)
  • Discharge Power:
    • Internal discharge: 15W * 2(balance port 10W)
    • External discharge: 325W * 2
  • Battery Type:
    • LiHv/LiPo/LiFe/Lilon/Lixx : 1~6S
    • NiZn/Nicd/NiMH : 1~16S
    • Smart Battery : 1~6S
    • Lead Acid(Pb) : 2~24V
    • Enelop : 1~16S
  • Balance Current: 1600mA * 2
  • Discharge Current: 0.1~3A * 2
  • External Discharge Current: 1~15A * 2
  • USB Output: 5V / 2.1A
  • Dimensions: 108×105 ×76mm
  • Net Weight: 555g

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I was comparing specs and features, and I like the Hota a lot better than the X2.

The Hota has a smaller footprint, better discharge for faster balancing, a lot more input voltage capability, and some other specs that make it the better choice. Plus I like the menu and controls on the Hota much better than the menu and controls on the X2. The Hota also uses the same UI as the ISDT line, which is a lot more user friendly.

Does the X2 have the ability to discharge externally? I can't find out anything about that. And does it have a USB out for powering other devices?

The X2 does come with cables though, where the Hota you have to supply your own. So there is that. But even with that, and if the X2 were the cheaper option, I'd still buy the Hota, just because the specs are a lot better.

And most won't find it useful, but I also love the fact that I can charge my phone wirelessly on the Hota while sitting at my bench. Just a cool little bonus feature 😉

X2 specs:
AC Input: 100-240 Volts AC
DC Input: 11-18 Volts DC
Total Charge Circuit Power: 100 Watts AC Input / 200 Watts DC Input
DC Output Power: 10-100 Watts

Charge Current Range: 0.1 - 10.0 Amps x 2
Discharge Current Range: 0.1 - 2.0 Amps x 2
Discharge Current Power: 10 Watts x 2
Current Drain for LiPo Balancing: 300mA per Cell
NiCd/NiMH Battery Cell Count: 1 - 15 Cells
LiPo/LiHV/LiFe/Lilon Cell Count: 1 - 6 Cells
Pb Battery Voltage: 2 - 20 Volts
Dimensions: 7.24 x 5.74 x 2.75 in. (184 x 146 x 70mm)
Weight: 2.85 lbs. (1293g)

Hota specs:
  • Model NO.: D6 Pro
  • Input Voltage: AC100~240V / DC 6.5~30V
  • Charge Current: 0.1~15A * 2
  • Charge Power:
    • DC 325W * 2(650W)
    • AC 200W(Support power distribution)
  • Discharge Power:
    • Internal discharge: 15W * 2(balance port 10W)
    • External discharge: 325W * 2
  • Battery Type:
    • LiHv/LiPo/LiFe/Lilon/Lixx : 1~6S
    • NiZn/Nicd/NiMH : 1~16S
    • Smart Battery : 1~6S
    • Lead Acid(Pb) : 2~24V
    • Enelop : 1~16S
  • Balance Current: 1600mA * 2
  • Discharge Current: 0.1~3A * 2
  • External Discharge Current: 1~15A * 2
  • USB Output: 5V / 2.1A
  • Dimensions: 108×105 ×76mm
  • Net Weight: 555g
I like the Hitec because it has a stand alone IR reading function. That is the main reason I recommend it. If the HOTA has that feature then its definitely the more powerful charger. I also dont know HOTA track record for reliability like I do Hitec's but regardless of any of that either charger would be good.

Hota is Hobbymate. Excellent chargers. I can read IR when it is charging. It is simple to start the charge and check. But that is not when you are supposed to check the IR anyway. There was a video or article about reading the IR values that I saw a few years ago, and it said you don't want to check IR readings before or after charging because the values won't be accurate. It said something about checking them while charging, and after a certain amount of time to get the best reading. But I don't remember what that is. I wanna say it was about 4 minutes into the charge. I just look at them when it's charging to make sure nothing crazy is going on, because it doesn't vary enough to worry about it from an empty battery to a full one. But I have read a lot of stuff saying the IR meter in lipo chargers isn't that accurate anyway 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
okay, I talked to horizon and they will not warranty it since coke gave my son the car (it was a gift since hes battling leukemia). I ordered a battery and hobby mate charger off of amazon--hopefully that works. Thank you for he help

okay, I talked to horizon and they will not warranty it since coke gave my son the car (it was a gift since hes battling leukemia). I ordered a battery and hobby mate charger off of amazon--hopefully that works. Thank you for he help
Hope hes doing better 🙏

Back