Losi LST #2 build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D3MON

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello everyone, recently took on another project and wanted to do a build write up on it.
on one of the FB RC groups I'm on i ran into a gentleman that had a bunch of parts to build a Losi LST, and being that i have 2 of mostly all my other Nitro trucks i decided i wanted to continue with that.

he had a slider or pretty much bags of parts, given i really enjoy the build process, i decided to go for the parts and to build up as if it were a kit.
received the parts, and got to work cleaning the pieces:
20191231_220300.jpg

after assessing what all i would need next i started putting it together, most of the items are mocked up at this point, there were a few pieces that i needed to hold things together, and i have very few screws at the moment. for now i have my old HPI S25 engine mocked up on it, compression is low on the engine, so i am kind of torn on what to do with it.
either
A) send out to get a repinching service on it,
B) find new piston /sleeve, and bearings and rebuild,
C) get a new engine entirely, thinking maybe a "Big Red", Dynamite .26 mach 2 "truggy", possibly if i can afford it, a Novarossi legend 28, or maybe even try to find a Losi/Dynamite Mach .26 from the original. (other ideas/recommendations welcome.)
it has been a really really long time since I've ran that engine (13 years give or take?), and dont honestly know how much power those had or really much of anything, i got it on my first MGT, and realized the compression was weak early on so got a new one engine and put this in storage.
20200101_142244.jpg

ordered some of the chassis parts when i had received it.
20200106_210001.jpg

for some reason my parts bag was missing a single hinge pin brace, but really not too worried about it, my LHS has a parts bag with that piece in stock, and the parts bag had a bunch of other pieces that i was missing, and was a really cheap buy.

Got everything that i could installed. screws are going to be in on monday, ordered a bulk buy from Ace lol, going to use as much Metric as possible, few items i am going to leave for now, until i buy a 3mm tap and die set.
20200107_123931.jpg

the person i bought the pieces from also had a few other pieces that i am going to need as well, and should be in here either later this week or early next week.
kind of an interesting thing i found was that the turnbuckles on this are similar length to that of the steering turnbuckles of the MGT, and i believe i should be able to use them.

will keep posted as i make progress.

Looks like it's cleaning up very well. Just curious what are you using to clean with? I've heard that using WD-40 on the suspension parts and pan of the car will keep it from becoming brittle especially in cold weather. I'm actually looking for a bill similar to that but I want a rock crawler and will be going through the same thing you're doing now. Keep us posted really looks like a cool build.

Looks like it's cleaning up very well. Just curious what are you using to clean with? I've heard that using WD-40 on the suspension parts and pan of the car will keep it from becoming brittle especially in cold weather. I'm actually looking for a bill similar to that but I want a rock crawler and will be going through the same thing you're doing now. Keep us posted really looks like a cool build.
thank you! i have been using soap and dawn dish soap so far for cleaning, (i haven't cleaned the arms yet, forgot to remove the bearings before the first go around, and never made it back to clean them). i pretty much went through with a scotchbrite, and a hard bristle brush and scrubbed it as i would do the dishes. i plan on wiping it down with some silicone spray and paper towels to make it easier to clean in the future and give it that nice shine.
really having alot of fun building this from ground up, like a kit that wasn't a kit!
just wiping down with WD40 i dont know how much it would do, it would probably make it easier to clean for next time, i remember from back when, people would boil their A-arms for a length of time or soak them in WD40 for a few hours, this would slightly change the properties of the plastic making them more flexible. in the cold though, the plastic is just brittle, not really much you can do that i have found. i just try to take it easier in the winter, but sometimes you just find that perfect ramp...

will do and definitely keep us posted on yours!

I missed out on a couple auctions of those Ls 's on E-bay ,they went cheap ,but I more less let them go because
I already have plenty of MT's!.....Now I regret it ,as I could have done a build off with you if I would have snatched one
of them up ,I did think about you when I seen them ,was going to tell you about them ,I don't think neither went over
75 bucks ,I am going to scroll back through the E-bay listing an see if I can find another one on auction an see if my
Wife will let me get one!
I had already spent almost 50 bucks on tires ,they will be here tomorrow ,so I will start getting my Mgt. back together ,
LOL.....I should have already done it ,but I had been busy with Holidays & G-kids & video game!.....:cool:

I missed out on a couple auctions of those Ls 's on E-bay ,they went cheap ,but I more less let them go because
I already have plenty of MT's!.....Now I regret it ,as I could have done a build off with you if I would have snatched one
of them up ,I did think about you when I seen them ,was going to tell you about them ,I don't think neither went over
75 bucks ,I am going to scroll back through the E-bay listing an see if I can find another one on auction an see if my
Wife will let me get one!
I had already spent almost 50 bucks on tires ,they will be here tomorrow ,so I will start getting my Mgt. back together ,
LOL.....I should have already done it ,but I had been busy with Holidays & G-kids & video game!.....:cool:
i did find a chassis slider for right around 30$, was missing more than i am though. the diffs and transmission is where these really get expensive, right around 50$ a diff and another 50-100 for a transmission and slipper assembly. which i am still lookin for.
def post some pics of that MGT with the new tires!

looking forward to this project!
thanks!, this might take a bit of time to complete, so far going mostly stock with stuff for assembly and to make sure i have everything, but wanting to do some upgrades to it before its done. hardest thing is going to be finding the B.A.C. Steering link, probably have to make my own.
still debating if i want to go to LST2 arms on it as well, or keep lst1, and a few other options parts that i been lookin at.

i did find a chassis slider for right around 30$, was missing more than i am though. the diffs and transmission is where these really get expensive, right around 50$ a diff and another 50-100 for a transmission and slipper assembly. which i am still lookin for.
def post some pics of that MGT with the new tires!

LOL....Yea ,I seen that one as well ,it looked like the bottom of the chassy was gone ,that was one of the reasons why
I did not bid on it ,I think that that person had 2 of them on auction ,an he used it for parts!...

That wasn't the one that I seen ,the one that I seen ,actually had an engine ,I seen two of them ,one had an Hpi purple
head on it like yours ,an one had the Mach blue head engine on it ,but that was before Christmas ,an the auction on
those are long gone!

What wheels/tires do you intend on going with? That will play a part as to what engine you run. The large losi wheels/tires take a lot of grunt to get moving. I always ran smaller traxxas 3.8" sized wheels on mine. I started with 3.2" traxxas chevrons and losi zombimaxx tires. With the gear flip mod and a +2 pinion, the LRP28S3 pulled it along really well. Mine started as an aftershock, so had the more simple transmission that had very few parts in it. No high/low/reverse. I had to put an LST/LST2 2 speed on it though as once the LRP got half way through break-in, the cheap plastic two speed assembly crapped out.

My bashing buddy at the time had the LST2 and really liked the muggy tires on it, even with the orange mach on it. For me, they were still a bit doggy, but he was running the trans in stock form with stock gearing. I had tried taking his tires and putting them on mine just to see how I liked it... with my gearing, it did not like it at all.

What wheels/tires do you intend on going with? That will play a part as to what engine you run. The large losi wheels/tires take a lot of grunt to get moving. I always ran smaller traxxas 3.8" sized wheels on mine. I started with 3.2" traxxas chevrons and losi zombimaxx tires. With the gear flip mod and a +2 pinion, the LRP28S3 pulled it along really well. Mine started as an aftershock, so had the more simple transmission that had very few parts in it. No high/low/reverse. I had to put an LST/LST2 2 speed on it though as once the LRP got half way through break-in, the cheap plastic two speed assembly crapped out.

My bashing buddy at the time had the LST2 and really liked the muggy tires on it, even with the orange mach on it. For me, they were still a bit doggy, but he was running the trans in stock form with stock gearing. I had tried taking his tires and putting them on mine just to see how I liked it... with my gearing, it did not like it at all.

LOL.....I remember making my sister buying the regular size truggy tires for her Muggy ,the original Losi Muggy tires
where huge ,they effected the performance of the steering an made it kind of clumsy ,it also effected the engine &
speed performance!
After the change ,the Muggy was awesome to run an more enjoyable!...:cool:

thank you for the info olds, the final decision will be what i can find, ultimately, i want to get either 23mm or 17mm adapter and run PL 40 series wheels and tires, (would like to find another set of big joes) i like them because they are light, and not alot of sidewall flex (not as good for jumping, but handles really well.) what i think i am going to end up doing is get the hex adapters and run some Integy 40 series x-wides (similar to PL bowties).
at the moment i have 14mm hexes on the truck/slider, but i do also have a set of 17mm adapters for my MGT that may work instead. i just have nothing of the 17mm variety.
i have the losi 420 series kingpins and TL dish rims on my other LST, i think those are what came on the muggy, and seem to do well, that mach .26 rips them around anyways.
i dont mind the look of the stock losi LST, and LST2 tires, but looking at them all i can think is "those things have got to be heavy".
at this point i dont really plan on doing the gear flip, as mine now with standard seems to be fast enough for me (for now), i do plan to FOC though, if i can't find a transmission that already has one installed. I've been really tempted to try my Axial .28 spec 2s in my other LST, but just havent had time/motivation to do the swap.

You had an aftershock at one point right? For some reason though I remembered you saying you did anyway lol
Yep I did ? I had an lrp 30x and some more upgrades, can't remember, except for the losi upgrade titanium 1st and second gear (super rare i think), least I think it was titanium, can't remember lol. Was a beast, wish I never sold it. This is the only pic I have unfortunately
20170601_185114-2.jpg

Yep I did ? I had an lrp 30x and some more upgrades, can't remember, except for the losi upgrade titanium 1st and second gear (super rare i think), least I think it was titanium, can't remember lol. Was a beast, wish I never sold it. This is the only pic I have unfortunately
View attachment 120595
thing looks awesome, and if they were metal and a gold color, were the Titanium Nitride or TiNi as they called them. those gears. are pretty rare, very expensive though too, 90$ for the gears themselves lol.
always wanted to try the fabled LRP engines, but lately with their quality control issues, dont know if it would be worth to attempt spending that coin on them.

thing looks awesome, and if they were metal and a gold color, were the Titanium Nitride or TiNi as they called them. those gears. are pretty rare, very expensive though too, 90$ for the gears themselves lol.
always wanted to try the fabled LRP engines, but lately with their quality control issues, dont know if it would be worth to attempt spending that coin on them.
Thanks, Yeah that's the one. Found them on eBay, I didn't pay that much for them. Maybe $60 for the 1st and second gear. My lrp was a powerhouse but the carbs are absolute trash, don't hold a tune for anything. And yeah I heard about the quality issues, no experience with the newer stuff

You know what ,come to think of it ,one of those LS2 trucks did have the goldish looking gears on them that I thought
looked odd looking ,Damn ,I should have bided on it!....:doh::doh::doh:

I dont know nothing about those trucks or their aftermarket parts!.....?

You know what ,come to think of it ,one of those LS2 trucks did have the goldish looking gears on them that I thought
looked odd looking ,Damn ,I should have bided on it!....:doh::doh::doh:

I dont know nothing about those trucks or their aftermarket parts!.....?
great trucks i definitely recommend getting one if you get the chance!