LOSI DBXL 1/5 Scale - High RPM, Low speed Issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfwarren1958

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the RC hobby and I started out with getting a great deal on a Losi DBXL Buggy, 1/5 scale. I've successfully broken in the engine as per the manual instructions (oil to gas ratio was higher) and ran a few tanks of gas with no issue, until the 4th tank of gas. The engine had a high pitch noise and the care had very little forward motion. I ran it again after it cooled down a bit, but after a few laps, the engine reached high RPM and very little forward motion. After taking it home and removing the center differential, it actually imploded. My guess from extreme heat, the housing was made of some hard plastic material. Anyway, I rebuilt the center diff and put everything back together. Ran the car for a few laps, it ran great, but again, as soon after 3 laps, the engine started the high RPMs and it stop moving. Before I dig deeper by taking everything apart and checking the front and rear diffs, I wanted to check with folks on this forum to see if they have any recommendations? Any input would greatly be appreciated. Thank You

Hi, I'm new to the RC hobby and I started out with getting a great deal on a Losi DBXL Buggy, 1/5 scale. I've successfully broken in the engine as per the manual instructions (oil to gas ratio was higher) and ran a few tanks of gas with no issue, until the 4th tank of gas. The engine had a high pitch noise and the care had very little forward motion. I ran it again after it cooled down a bit, but after a few laps, the engine reached high RPM and very little forward motion. After taking it home and removing the center differential, it actually imploded. My guess from extreme heat, the housing was made of some hard plastic material. Anyway, I rebuilt the center diff and put everything back together. Ran the car for a few laps, it ran great, but again, as soon after 3 laps, the engine started the high RPMs and it stop moving. Before I dig deeper by taking everything apart and checking the front and rear diffs, I wanted to check with folks on this forum to see if they have any recommendations? Any input would greatly be appreciated. Thank You

My opinion ,you've should have sent it back ,as it could of had a defect!

The diff should not be binding ,an it should rotate smooth!
Some people will actually go through diffs an make sure they are shimmed right with out having
too much slop ,an no binding!

You also should make sure other stuff isn't binding ,like the drive axles & wheel studs!

Good luck!...:cool:

When I ran 5th scale and the engine started revving high with no movement, that usually meant your clutch shoes where toast.

Back