losi 3.4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickenman242

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hey all ,just want to get some thoughts on the 3.4 ,I have spent the last month or so fixing up a revo that I got. originally it was going to be a BB build to match my flm t maxx but the more I looked to the 3.4 the more I liked it and eventually got one.
As I have very limited local support I would like some thoughts on things ,firstly is it safe to go a 30% nitro like I have on other engines including 3.3's or is it safer to run 15% like I do on most of my smaller engines.
also what is a good choice for a glow plug ,it came with one which I assume is a dynamite 2495 and for some reason I found a nip plug also ,should I stick with these or is there something different/better such as an odonnell or os.
and lastly exhaust ,being that its technically a sb it does have a bb exhaust port. for the time being I'm using a trx bb header coupled up to a resonator with the stinger drilled ,is there a particular setup that would be ideal , of course a ercm pipe would be the bomb but I aint prepared to drop that much on a zorst for the time being.
Fire away....

On of the well known local racers out here recommends running Byrons %30, so I tried it and love it. He said as long as I preheat the block everytime, not only will the engine love it, it will last a very long time! He also recommends the McCoy MC 59 cold medium plug. I have givin his recommendation a try and so far so good! Both my trucks are rockets! I am using an MC 8 plug and it has no issues as well!

OK sweet, I have a few Mccoy plugs so I'll use them.
Just waiting for the tx/rx to arrive along with a pull start that I forgot to order.
The only stupid thing I have found about this engine is you have to change the backplate to run a losi pullstart , I have modded a trx backplate to run a trx pullstart and it still worked out cheaper.

What about the Losi spin start? Will that work?

Yeh that bolts straight on but i prefer pullstart i was going to use a losi Ross starter but was still cheaper to do what I've done go figure

I have three Losi 3.4 engines (about to get a fourth).

It's the stock engine in the Losi 810 (my all-time favorite rc vehicle). You DO know it's a .20 engine, correct? Please don't tell me you are putting it in a Revo. Seriously, anything you want to know about the engine I can tell you--but that is not what that engine is designed for.It's a small block engine designed to move a light buggy around like a little whippet. It's the .20 version of the Werks B2. It's easily my favorite RTR engine, but if you are putting a Losi 3.4 in a Traxxas Revo? Please don't do that.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

By the way, Nitrotane 20% w/an OS#6 (A3) is the way to go with the engine. You can listen to me on this or not.. I might not know much about nitro rc vehicles...but the Losi 3.4 (and the entire Ten series) is the one area where I feel I know quite a bit.

Also, they don't open up until ~two gallons. I just cannot believe you are bastardizing this engine as such. It's like me taking an LRP .32 and putting it on an RX8.

Have you put fuel in it? if not let's please chat off-line. Trust me, the engine is a monstrous small-block RTR....but you would not be doing it justice putting it in a Revo. Ugh! Perhaps we can make a deal? I can even put you in touch with the guy that designed the engine if that will help. I'm dead serious here. It's not good for you or the engine and makes little sense at all. Keep it pull-start at least. You don't need any fancy crap with it. It'll start in 1-2 pulls EVERY TIME if you know what you are doing.

My buddy told me this is what would happen once these engines started to get liquidated. Put it in a buggy at least, please!

Last edited:
haha too late its mocked up ready to go in this revo sitting on my bench.
I have been doing a bit of reading about this engine so naturally I thought why not , I have just about every other engine you can get for a trx vehicle.
I have been told that the sc the 3.4 comes in has been discontinued whats up with that.
I have seen so many different trx trucks with the 3.4 ,apparently its better than the 3.3 which isn't that hard by the way.
no fuel through it yet ,forgot to order a pullstart that wont be here till next week at the earliest.

cmon mate ,whats the point to this hobby if you can't create a monster from time to time....

---------- Post added at 4:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:22 PM ----------

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a569/bigbozza242/output_zpswidcikgv.jpg
hopefully that works lol

Is that the stock revo motor mount? Hmmmmmm, if it is, I might have to give this a try. Sorry nitro nerd lol.

it surely is , I got the idea off a dude on the traxxas forum .Basically to make it work with the stock clutch ,telemetry included you have to cut the crank down a smidge and bolt that down with a 3mm screw as there is no provision for the clip that holds the cb like the 3.3
next I got my trusty dremel out and gound the inside of the mount till the engine fit into place, most sources told me you have to grind a small bit off the block but I didn't need to. and lastly I modded the backplate so I can run either a ez start or pullstart which involved grinding a flat spot on the inside of the backplate to allow for clearance of the piston ,I had to fill a hole which was made by doing this where those 4 slots are on the one-way bearing side is using a metal epoxy ,pretty simple stuff really.
I did also use a tekno throttle linkage set which I had ,unfortunately they are discontinued and a custom linkage due to the fact this truck will still retain factory reverse and opti-drive much to many peoples dismay...
the idea is to make it look as factory as possible just with a bit of twist...

don't tell me you are putting it in a Revo.

Why not?

The 3.4 is plenty of engine for a Revo or Tmaxx. Both are 2 speed and the 3.4 will push them along just fine, even a decent .18 works well in both.

Chickenman, I'm somewhat busting your b@lls, so appreciate you taking it fwiw..

And yep...I'm fully aware of the 3.4's potential. I've been touting how underrated that engine is for years now. Put it in a 6lb buggy (WITH ENGINE) and that is a true rocket. To answer your question, the Ten-T and 810 have been discontinued for some time..leaving only the SCT Nitro. The last I checked it was still being manufactured. I have friend who bought one a few months ago. The 810 was the only ten-series nitro to use the pull-start (vs the ROSS). You got lucky getting the back plate, OWB, etc, for those will dry up very soon.

As to 'why not'? No reason. They are going cheap now, so there's the why. It's catching the attention of guys who look for cheap stuff will slap anything together (not saying you...but it's already happening). Then they start putting big block pipes on it that don't really fit but they 'work', etc. etc. i.e. Not being creative nor giving the engine its due dilligence. Simply hate to see that sort of stuff happen to such a wonderful little engine--but it is what it is. On the bright side, for those guys who know how to tune their engines...they are going to be pleasantly surprised. I promise you got a much better deal than you would have say an LRP. As noted, if you do need any help with it, let me know I'll do what I can.

What clutch are you going to use with it?

The only downside is the carb. It sucks.

Last edited:
At the moment just the stock trx clutch , I will be putting a mip clutch in later on or I have a dynamite max life and also a strc 3 shoe all ready and waiting.
comparatively speaking the losi has the same 1.8hp out of the 3.3 so what's the big difference?

thought I'd update a little ,progress is slow when you forget vital parts like a pullstart hopefully the postie will be kind enough do drop off my amain order.
got the radio today ,using stock tqi with the telemetry sensors as well ,everything fits like a glove just had to dremel the rpm sensor holder out a touch but its looking good ,now I just got to wait for this stupid ipod to charge so I can set every thing up properly. say what people will but I do like the trx radio but its gotta have the ipod dock or forget it lol.

by the way ,what happened to nitro nerd...I guess he rammed is opinions down the wrong throat lol