Loosing compression

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andydrew39219

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I think my .15 pro is loosing compression. I can turn the flywheel easier than I used to be able to. Can I just get a new piston and sleeve to fix the issue? Will I have to break in the engine again? The engine runs awesome, I have no problems with it as of now, it's holding a tune, doesn't stall at all and it has plenty of power for my pede. I have put probably 6 or 7 tanks through it since I changed it. Put the proline runtime tank in it.

Should I not fix it because its not broken? Or would I be better off replacing the piston and sleeve?

If its still running fine I wouldnt personally worry about it and when it finally does go you could rebuild it (assuming they still sell the rebuild kit for it) and yes you would have to break it in again. Personally Id run it till it died and then use Traxxas's trade in program and get a 2.5R.

I think my .15 pro is loosing compression. I can turn the flywheel easier than I used to be able to. Can I just get a new piston and sleeve to fix the issue? Will I have to break in the engine again? The engine runs awesome, I have no problems with it as of now, it's holding a tune, doesn't stall at all and it has plenty of power for my pede. I have put probably 6 or 7 tanks through it since I changed it. Put the proline runtime tank in it.

Should I not fix it because its not broken? Or would I be better off replacing the piston and sleeve?

The first indication that an engine has lost compression is that it will stop idling. At that point you need to either have it pinched or replace the piston/sleeve/rod.

Lee

I agree with what greywolf said if its still running fine dont worry about it, run it til it dies then upgrade to the 2.5R.

Ok then, I'll stop worrying. That thing will idle until it runs out of fuel. Just got in from some bashing. I remember back when it was newer (only 1 gal or so ran through it) and it would stall often and wouldn't idle right but now it never stalls and idles perfect. Even from a cold start.

I'm not sure if you could replace it with a 2.5, but if it runs good leave it be!

If you upgrade go 3.3, my brothers 3.3 Rustler is a beast. We have radar gunned it at 60mph, can't go wot though until he installs a wheelie bar. And yes gear box has not stripped yet and he beats it hard.:D

High Speed Low Drag:whhooo:

The problem is that it may not be possible to put a rear exhaust engine in a stampede.....I'm not 100% sure though.

3.3 goes in a stampede, just
You do however need a side mount exhaust I used a jato header and pipe
Way too overpowered but thats the fun part

You can put a 2.5r or 3.3 in a pede. I have a "never seen fuel" 2.5R that I was planning on putting in the pede but instead I bought a 2.5 tmaxx roller (coming in mail tomorrow hopefully). I don't know about the 3.3 but I got the #4400 upgrade kit from traxxas and it included a side exhaust header. The pede comes stock with a (junk) rear exhaust.

Hulk, I can tell you without even running a 2.5R in a pede, the 3.3 is just too much for it. Even the .15 pro has quite a lot of power for it. It's not the fastest rig. But it has tons of low end power, it's hard to accelerate hard without going everywhere. It's very easy to spin out even at low throttle from a start.

If I buy a 3.3, it will go in the TMAXX and the 2.5R will go into the pede.

I had to put lead weights in the front to get it to steer
I was looking at putting a side mount exhaust on it with the pro.15 think that would open it up a bit

I thought about adding just a little bit of weight but my bigger fuel tank does the job pretty well. That's what I did after fully breaking it in, I got the 4tec tuned pipe and the side header. Works good, couldn't really tell a difference other than sound though.

what fuel tank did ya use??
i have heard of people using a stock t maxx tank but thought that may lead to leaning issues

I am using the Proline runtime tank. Otherwise known as the leantime tank by some people here. It's a tad bigger than the TMAXX tank. It does have some leaning issues but honestly, once the first tank is done and I have done 1 or 2 small adjustments to the hsn I don't have to touch any needles until I'm ready to take her in. And my runtime is pretty awesome now too. I'm going to see how the stock TMAXX tank works out then decide if I want to throw the proline tank in there.

Andydrew, there is no such thing as to much power. Soon as I get my last project under wraps I am starting a HPI RS4 big block build. Going to put a K5.9 modded engine in it. My buddy built one a while back so I will inlist his help I hope. He run a thunder tiger .28 in his.

I didn't know a 2.5 or 3.3 could go in a stampede.
A big block in a car sounds fun. Why wouldn't you look for a high reving race big block instead of a low reving torque monster? I'm asking, because a race .21 in a car would destroy a .36 in a car.

Yeah with the 2.5R it's easy. No modifications needed. You buy the 2.5r and the #4400 rustler upgrade kit. It's supposed to have everything you need but I remember getting mad because I needed a couple more things to be rtr. Does the 3.3 have the same type of carb as the 2.5r? If so it should be just as easy to put in the pede. That was the hard part for me, figuring out the throttle linkage. I had to look up pictures of 2.5 pedes to figure it out.

Hulk, I believe that there is such thing as too much power. My pede will spin out very easy on the low end side. By no means am I saying the .15 pro has too much power, especially on the higher end side. A lot of the low end power is just being wasted too, ie spinning tires. I think a 2.5 should be the right amount of too much power for the pede. I feel like it would be all over the place and upside down half the time with the 3.3. I am curious to see how the power of the .15 pro will be in the TMAXX. It will be distributed more evenly with 4WD. So I'm expecting a noticeable increase in acceleration.

There definitely is such a thing as to much power. If all your kit does it wheelie and flip over or the ass end slides out from behind it everytime you get on the throttle then after about 10 minutes it starts being no fun anymore.

Well I can tell you guys the 3.3 in my brothers rustler did not make it undriveable, you can't however just plant the throttle wide open everytime you take off. We built it just to see how much speed we could get out of it, like I said it was radar gunned at 60mph prob could have went faster but ran out of road where we lived. I still think that there is no such thing as to much power. And the reason I was using the 5.9 engine in the Rs4 build I already own a 5.9, but I might look into a better performance engine. I will post a video of the 3.3 rustler running if I can talk my brother into digging out of his garage. And I thought building a bigger faster machine was part of the hobby, so I will keep goin over the top with my builds. Maybe next I will find a way of putting a big block into a rustler or a pede.

^I agree with most of this^, but all I'm trying to say is a car would benefit more from a smaller, higher reving engine vs a low rpm torque monster.

Back