Looking to go faster

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigD64068

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Flying
I picked up a pre owned TA SC6.2
It has a justock XR10 with a reedy 17.5 81S 24P
It’s not fast enough for me. I am near a couple tracks that are cheap to play/practice at. I don’t intend to compete. I had a couple people say I need a 6.5T motor, but the esc spec says nothing below 11.5. I have 2 protek 2s 6100mah 120C lipos. What would you recommend?

30614A12-BBFB-4B76-9045-18B1C73FD50D.jpeg
B5FAF017-210D-43FF-B490-21FA9438A6A8.jpeg
EC59E0A7-22BF-4431-8296-619B81F67C7E.jpeg

It’s not fast enough for me. I am near a couple tracks that are cheap to play/practice at. I don’t intend to compete. I had a couple people say I need a 6.5T motor, but the esc spec says nothing below 11.5. I have 2 protek 2s 6100mah 120C lipos. What would you recommend?

Welcome to the SCT world. Try changing the pinion gear, and see how that affects speed. Even with the 81T spur and 24T pinion, which are the recommended gears for it you have now, just changing the pinion size a couple of teeth should produce more speed. The motor you have also has adjustable timing, so i would make sure that it is set at 0, and not at a positive or negative timing number. I used to race an original SC10, and an SC10.2, and even though some things have changed, the gearing charts are still pretty much the same. The Associated gearing charts give a good baseline, and from there you can go up or down in pinion size, but only go one or two teeth larger or smaller, and see how that affects it. As for a 6.5T, you really dont need to go that low. Even an 11.5 with the right gearing will produce more speed. One thing i would do, if you dont already have it, is download the manual for it, as it will have everything you need to know about the truck in it, including ESC, Motor, and gearing recommendations, as well as caster/camber, shock settings, and a ton of other useful info. This is the link for all of the manuals and set up sheets for that truck: https://www.associatedelectrics.com/teamassociated/cars_and_trucks/RC10SC6.2/Team/manuals_setups/

Just make sure you're keeping an eye on motor and ESC temps when playing around with your gearing.

Welcome to the SCT world. Try changing the pinion gear, and see how that affects speed. Even with the 81T spur and 24T pinion, which are the recommended gears for it you have now, just changing the pinion size a couple of teeth should produce more speed. The motor you have also has adjustable timing, so i would make sure that it is set at 0, and not at a positive or negative timing number. I used to race an original SC10, and an SC10.2, and even though some things have changed, the gearing charts are still pretty much the same. The Associated gearing charts give a good baseline, and from there you can go up or down in pinion size, but only go one or two teeth larger or smaller, and see how that affects it. As for a 6.5T, you really dont need to go that low. Even an 11.5 with the right gearing will produce more speed. One thing i would do, if you dont already have it, is download the manual for it, as it will have everything you need to know about the truck in it, including ESC, Motor, and gearing recommendations, as well as caster/camber, shock settings, and a ton of other useful info. This is the link for all of the manuals and set up sheets for that truck: https://www.associatedelectrics.com/teamassociated/cars_and_trucks/RC10SC6.2/Team/manuals_setups/
Thanks! It came with the original box and manual. I might try a pinion change first, but it would be a miracle if it made it much faster. The deal came with lots of parts and 3 extra motors, but none appear to be better than the 17.5 in it.

View attachment 131923View attachment 131924View attachment 131925
I have a Velviolion in mine it’s a good motor I would recommend not sure if it would fit this though

A non censored motor is not a good recommendation.. you can gear up the 17.5 but the motor temps will rise.. Id go with a 11.5 and gear it way up as in pinion size..

Back