Looking to get into the nitro off road world

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcvickj

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
Hello all. A friend and I are looking into running off road. I have been hearing some rumors that a new dirt track will be opening up sometime next year around my area. That and around my grandma's place would be a sweet place for some off road bashing. I am not sure what to get. I have always been partical to the buggy style. I was thinking about getting a kit but I think just for the off road bashing I plan on doing an RTR package would work as well. Better yet do any of you have a package you are looking to sell? TIA.

-JR

Heres a banana dude just because I think he is cool. :banana:

I have been looking at a Ofna Hyper 7 RTR. I looked on eBay and I can get a new package for $455. A friend of mine has this car and I had a chance to drive it. That is when I knew I wanted an off road car to drive when I am not racing my touring car. :)

-JR

I would look around and see what everyone else is running. Most tracks are for 1/10 scale and not big enought for 1/8 scale racing. If they don't allow eighth scale buggies at the track it would be pointless to get one. If they do race 1/8 scale there are several good RTR packages out there. The Hyper 7, 9.5 and GS Storm are all good buggies to start with. I have the Storm and I love it.

As far as 1/10 scale racing goes, the market is dominated by the RC10GT and XXX-NT. Both are excellent trucks and I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I prefer the AE truck myself, but it's kindof like the Ford vs. Chevy controversy when it comes to AE vs. Losi.

I'm running an Ofna Ultra MBX buggy and think its a lot of fun with the propper up-grades it will keep up with the best of them. But like has been said take some time and see what is out there and check which buggy you can get parts for at your LHS.

just a sugestion but if you arent looking for power adn spped check out the sport maxx

If you're planning on serious air then make sure you get something that you can beef up the suspension on.

make sure you can get parts for whatever you will buy. B/c it is not called bashing for no reason.

I am a t-maxx fan. I am not a traxxas fan though.

If you take the 1/10 route I say go to the maxx with the maxx