Looking for suggestions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacers40

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and so far, I have to give kudos to the people that started this. I am wanting to get started in this hobby, I am working on a limited budget to get started, so I am looking for something that isn't going to require a lot of hop ups right off for me to have a good time.

I am open to suggestions and please keep in mind that i am in fact a....... :n00bie:

What's your budget?

Welcome to RCNT :cheers: Don't worry about being a newbie, we all were once. There are plenty of knowledgable guys here ready and willing to help.

Let me say that I am considering purchase of either a HPI Savage or a TMaxx, However, my budget is going to be closed to used up for a few months following the purchase of either one of these so I am looking to get the most bang for my buck. I am wanting to get the most fun for the least amount of hopups in the beginning, I do know that in the future I am bound have to replace things and am going to want to upgrade parts but I want to moderately bash after the breakin process. I am leaning toward the HPI Savage 21 due to what have read about it and the Tmaxx as far as what needs to be done right from the start. :beard:

All you will want to do to the Savage is replace the air filter, loktite the set screw in the tranny, fuel filter, new steering servo.

Later you can do the dogbones and toss on a tank guard if you want.

Thanks for the response, that confirms what i have been reading .

13 days and counting until I purchase my new Savage :w00t:

Thanks for the reminder, I had read that earlier on a different post but it had slipped my mind. I will make sure do that

Congrats on the R/c Man.Hope you injoy it !

Id just like to say something about the savage. Dont get me wrong, the Savage is a great truck but there is one little problem. The break in will put a lil wear on your hands if you can't tune an engine. Or if your an idiot like me and forget to charge your glow igniter. The .21's are a biiiottch to start. After your budget opens up again, purchasing a Picco.26 is a real good idea because the .21bb isnt really the most POWERFUL engine in the world if you know what a mean...:naughty:
From my experiences the Savage is in a way better league than the T-Maxx. The T-Maxxes suspension travel is tiny compared to the Savage. I can run my friends T-Maxx over with my brand spankin' new savage-and he has an escalade body.
Just when you get it, be sure to have a couple extra glo-plugs handy. That always helps for break-in.

4th pull it started right up

2 glo plug for break-in

Always started like a champ!

My Picco on the other hand was a real mother to start!

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
All you will want to do to the Savage is replace the air filter, loktite the set screw in the tranny, fuel filter, new steering servo.

Later you can do the dogbones and toss on a tank guard if you want.

hey Çh®i§tiªñ , what do you mean with locktite the set screw in the tranny?....I have a Savage and lock tite every screw but not in the transmission....what I need to do?

Thanks

Below is the article posted on HPI's site. This is all you need to do.

Click Here for the 'How To'

I suggest using the green lok-tite. Worked perfectly for me. If you can grab a 'fine' tip extender from the hobby shop, do so. Makes this job easier.

I'm in the same boat. I am looking for a truck more than a buggy. Possibly interested in 4WD. My budget is about $500 give or take depending on if the product is really worth it or not.

I have heard of Tmaxx but some good and bad, while the Savage seems to be popular. In addition to a reliable unit I am looking for a popular truck, buggy is not really what I am intersted in.

The local hobby shop pushed OFNA the Pirate Model and appeared to be dissing everything else. The RC unit seemed really cheesy and the guy was clueless to 52 Mhz RC units used by Amateur Radio Operators even though he claimed to have been involved in RC since the start.

Is OFNA as good as he said it was ?

Rich

Oh and let me say the reason I am looking for a popular truck is that I know me... I like to tweak things and build up on them. I would guess the more popular models would have many more accessories out there available for custom work.

Rich

Oh and let me say the reason I am looking for a popular truck is that I know me... I like to tweak things and build up on them. I would guess the more popular models would have many more accessories out there available for custom work.

Rich

Rich, I'm sure the Savage wont let you down. It is sa great truck and it has almsot as much hop-ups a s the T-maxx, in fact, it is closing the gap relatively fast. For 400 you can get a Savage. The OFNA Sucks compared to the Savage. I suggest you buy the savage, get a racing engine in it, and beat down on the Pirate and the cheesy hobby shop owner.