Looking for plane

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Should I buy a quadcopter or plane?

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The RC Car

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about getting a plane or quadcopter, I'm new to planes but I've been around quadcopters and helicopters for about 8 years. Any suggestions on what to get? My price range is pretty flexible, I'm hoping to get something that is really quality. Also if I got a drone I would want to be able to mount a camera.

Last edited:
If you've never flown a quadricopter before they are tough to get started with. If you've never flown before you can start with a DJI Phantom 3 standard. It comes with a really good gimbal camera and has GPS positioning. It's really easy to fly and learn how the Drone works. After you become familiar with flying easy one then you could go to a racing drone and have more success without all the repair work.

I have read that it is best to start with simulator software. Given that you have experience with helicopters for a few years maybe it would be a easy transition for you.

My biggest issue with the racing drones is the 4-ish minute run time.
I was looking into them for a while. From what I read it is best to follow a build and make your own so you learn all about it, versus buying a RTR option.

I don't know much about planes but I really want a Horizon Timber X 1.2m, it looks like tons of fun!

I leaned to fly on my own with a little Cessna 36'' foamy with an Os 15 size engine.
The ground run for take off is the hardest ,It never happen on my first flight ,so I got frustrated .picked
the plane up ,revved the engine up to full throttle an just threw it,,,,,LOL....it shocked the hell out of me as
the plane took off an started flying ,so I gathered my senses & got control of the sticks an learned how
to steer & maneuver the plane!
That was the most scariest an at the same time .thrilling moments in my life!...

With a simulator ,your not going to feel or have the senses of the real flight ,so I don't think simulator is
needed ,you all ready have stick experience!

With that being said ,a top wing trainer plane would be your best bet as the top wings are more stable
an slow in flight to learn with!

If you've never flown a quadricopter before they are tough to get started with. If you've never flown before you can start with a DJI Phantom 3 standard. It comes with a really good gimbal camera and has GPS positioning. It's really easy to fly and learn how the Drone works. After you become familiar with flying easy one then you could go to a racing drone and have more success without all the repair work.
When I said I've been around quads for awhile I meant that I've been flying them for awhile. :)

I'm able to fly a quad in a straight line while it's spinning in the ten feet between a building and a line of trees, so I don't think I'll need to start with a sim :)

I'm able to fly a quad in a straight line while it's spinning in the ten feet between a building and a line of trees, so I don't think I'll need to start with a sim :)

I think an airplane would be more easier to fly ,a top wing plane ,even though that it takes airspeed an forward motion to
keep it airbourne ,they are more stable to fly ,they also have the ability to catch thermals an stay aloft for awhile after
the engine or battery runs out!
Some of my planes ,I was able to keep flying it for about 10 minutes after the engine died on just catching thermals alone ,
that was due to how much dehedril was in the wing.

I have this ,I had it for about 3 years now an never flew it ,it needs a new battery ,an I had just been putting it off!

I never flown a low wing airplane before ,that is one reason why I kept putting it off ,they are faster an unpredictable
I would think ,I need to buy a battery an try to fly it this spring ,it will be hand launched!

If you do go with a plane and want something to learn the sticks, look for "the champ" from horizon hobby. You can find them dirt cheap and it will give you a feel for it before you go into a bigger balsa wood plane.

I was the weirdo that did everything backward. I started out with helis. And once I learned to fly CP helis, then I went to quads. And finally planes. Planes were very weird to me as I was so used to vertical take-off and landings. Takeoffs with planes weren't bad, but landing always felt odd even when I did it perfectly. Felt weird right up till I got out of RC a few years ago. Our runway left a lot to be desired though, probably had a lot to do with it.

I have this ,I had it for about 3 years now an never flew it ,it needs a new battery ,an I had just been putting it off!

I never flown a low wing airplane before ,that is one reason why I kept putting it off ,they are faster an unpredictable
I would think ,I need to buy a battery an try to fly it this spring ,it will be hand launched!

How much?

How much?

I haven't considered on selling it ,but might!
The plane is very old an is not the new style with lipo an brushless motor ,it is the old one with nicad ,an it only
had the up & down flap in the main wing with rudder!

So far ,I changed the flaps to the back an turn the main wing flaps to ailerons ,an installed all new micro servo's ,everything
works accordingly on it ,however ,would have use the Dubro plastic push rod set up with the stuffing tubes ,it has just
the metal rod!
The landing gear did not go to it ,I added it ,as it was only met to belly land on grass ,they need to be taken back off
as they are not stable or fixed a better way!

I also wrapped the entire plane with packing tape to protect it ,as I intended on using it to learn with to help
protect the plane from hard crashes!

But ,I am not too interested in the plane any more ,an will consider to sell it as is!

I guess I should have read your post a Little Closer I didn't see that you had been flying for that long. maybe my advice could be used for other people that have not been flying as long

I haven't considered on selling it ,but might!
The plane is very old an is not the new style with lipo an brushless motor ,it is the old one with nicad ,an it only
had the up & down flap in the main wing with rudder!

So far ,I changed the flaps to the back an turn the main wing flaps to ailerons ,an installed all new micro servo's ,everything
works accordingly on it ,however ,would have use the Dubro plastic push rod set up with the stuffing tubes ,it has just
the metal rod!
The landing gear did not go to it ,I added it ,as it was only met to belly land on grass ,they need to be taken back off
as they are not stable or fixed a better way!

I also wrapped the entire plane with packing tape to protect it ,as I intended on using it to learn with to help
protect the plane from hard crashes!

But ,I am not too interested in the plane any more ,an will consider to sell it as is!
Ok

Invest in a simulator such as real flight first. And for your first real plane start with a high wing.

Meaning ,learn quick or crash like I did!

I used a Cox 049 55 inch plane ,it was fun ,exciting an nerve racking all rolled up into one ,it gave me a rush!.....:celebrate:

It means I'll wait for a while, probably 'til I'm out of school

I gotcha. Join a local rc club. They may have training planes you can use. But you don't have to wait to use a simulator on your computer. They are a great learning tool.